General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A couple questions about an upcoming race... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-18 9:55 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: A couple questions about an upcoming race...
I'll be racing in an oly distance race this weekend.

It's likely that the water temperature will be above 78, but below 84 - putting it in that zone where wetsuits are allowable, but participants are not eligible for awards, etc. Now I'm a pretty MOP triathlete, and this is a big race, so I'm not likely to be seeing the podium. My goal time is 3:00. Under these conditions - would you wear the wetsuit or not?

I'm also trying to decide whether I should switch my registration from AG to Athena.... I registered AG figuring I would be below Athena weight come race day. I'm pretty much right AT Athena weight right now. Athena would place me higher in my group, but still probably not podium-worthy. For this race, logisitcally, it might be easier to stay with the AG status (35 min. later swim wave start = less rushed to get transition set up, etc.). So I'm not sure there's really any point to switching to Athena. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Edited by jsnowash 2007-06-18 10:02 AM

2007-06-18 10:06 AM
in reply to: #848475

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: A couple questions about an upcoming race...

As far as later waves being easier for set-up/timing....one thing to consider is that the later the waves the later the race. Depends on where the race is on whether that matters or not. I know at St. Anthony's my wife's AG wave was nearly two hours after mine and she had much harder conditions. The wind started to pick-up and the heat was getting worse.

Just one argument for being in the earliest wave possible. Even the first wave would have plenty of time to set everything up.

Michael

2007-06-18 12:48 PM
in reply to: #848475

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: A couple questions about an upcoming race...

Have you swam in 79 degree water with the wetsuit?   Timewise, you'll float better, but risk overheating if you go hard, so the net result may be only a marginal change in times. 

As for Athena versus AG.  Which starts earlier, and what is the weather supposed to be this weekend?  A 9 AM start will have you running in the heat from 11 to noon. 

Figure on the transition being busy/crowded on one end of the bike.  If you're in a late wave, it'll be almost empty for T1, but everyone else will have been back before you get to T2 (and almost nobody stops to tidy up transition before heading out on the run). 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A couple questions about an upcoming race... Rss Feed