General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit Advice needed please! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-22 6:54 PM

Subject: Wetsuit Advice needed please!

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience...went for my first open water swim with wetsuit last night. I can do 1/2 mile in the pool, no problem but had issues last night in the open water.

I could go for about 20 strokes, then had to stop, felt lightheaded. My instructor thought maybe my wetsuit was too small, compression on my chest and I couldn't get a good breath. Not sure so I was wondering if anyone else had this lightheaded experience. I'm using an Orca speedsuit.

Anyone out there who likes the DeSoto 2 piece as an alternative?

Thanks!!

2004-09-22 7:23 PM
in reply to: #65347

User image

Regular
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Wetsuit Advice needed please!
Could it be panic and you are not breathing properly which makes you hyperventilate. It is common the first few times in the wetsuit and open water.

Try pulling on the neck a little when you are in the water, it will let some water in and relieve some pressure off the chest. It may help calm you.
2004-09-22 8:39 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Orca speedsuits fit really snug - they're supposed to, but they are known for that.  Never tried the DeSoto, but I've heard good things.  It's nice that you can get 2 different sizes if needed.

Keep practicing in the open water.  Sometimes it just takes repetition to get used to it.

2004-09-22 8:56 PM

New user

I always feel terrible for the first 10 minutes of my open water swims. I think it's half because I don't warm up the way I do in the pool and half because I can't touch the bottom.

Make sure your wetsuit is pulled all the way up to your crotch. If not, it may be pulling down on your shoulders, cutting off circulation and affecting your breathing.

Lastly, make sure you have enough nutrition (carbs and fuilds) in you before you start.

Just keep going. It make take a few hundred meters before you get into the groove!
2004-09-23 11:30 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

I have used three different wetsuits so far, Orca Predator II, Orca Speedsuit and the Ironman Stealth. In my first race I used the Predator II and it was awesome and so was my swim time, the Speedsuit experience was aweful to say the least.  It felt very constrictive in the shoulders and the chest and I ended up breast stroking my swim leg for 2/3 of the way.  I am not sure if it was the wetsuit or me just freaking in the water that day.  The Ironman wetsuit will be used for the first time this weekend but so far in practice it is very very nice.  Chest has lots of room, not that it is loose fitting but stretches very nicely and fits perfect. 

So, it could be the suit, it could be the open water.  I would say to experiment if you can and see what works for you.  Also, there is nothing like practice in OW to relieve the freaking in a race.  I just wish I could practice in OW.  Good luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit Advice needed please! Rss Feed