General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help with some muscle pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-23 10:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis, IN
Subject: Need help with some muscle pain
umm, I have probably been training too much but....

I ran 6 miles for the first time ever on Tuesday and now I have pain around the right ankle on the outside that spreads down just in front of the heel up under my foot. It is centralized to just that point but it hurts to walk sometimes. Oddly, it comes and goes. The muscle on the outside of my ankle right in front of the bone is tender to the touch but is not hurting like the lower part but you can tellit is tight. I originally thought that my calf was tight and since everything is roundabout connected then....but a massage did not seem to be the cure-all.

I need to pamper this because I have my first TRI on Sunday.

Do I ice or heat or both? Icy Hot?

Help!!! I am finishing this TRI if I have to hop!!!!

2004-09-23 11:03 PM
in reply to: #65879

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Subject: RE: Need help with some muscle pain

ICE ICE ICE!!!

I think it's supposed to be 10 min/hr or something, maybe someone else can help me out here?

Also rest and elevate it above the level of your heart as much as you are able, esp if there's swelling.

2004-09-23 11:42 PM

Waco, TX
my sister's a massage therapist --who doesn't live anywhere near me --she's told me for muscle pain you use ice and heat...but always start with ice. The rest and elevation is a good idea too. I'd also take some ibuprofin if it were me, but I'm not a doc, so go with what feels right to you.

Hope things get better for you!
2004-09-24 2:20 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
THe area of tenderness you describe is a tendon, the fibrous part of a muscle. These strains take much longer to heal than muscular strains. If it is swollen, then you really have some significant inflammation. If you don't have any contraindications to using ibuprofin (kidney problems, stomach ulcers/bleeds), then use the maximum dose on the bottle for ibuprofin or alleve on a regular basis throughout the day (not for pain, for the inflammation). Elevate ABOVE THE HEART, and it is safe to alternate ice as well as heat despite common thoughts of ice first 48 hours and heat afterwards. Ice will help reduce swelling which reduces pain. Heat in contrast increases blood flow, increasing swelling and sometimes pain. THe irony is that blood flow is needed to heal the injuries, so alternating the two works really well for some people and "pumps" blood and nutrients in. Don't use either for more than 15-20 minutes at a time and take a 30 minute or more break in between and do 4-6 cycles per day (if you have time). Stretch too.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help with some muscle pain Rss Feed