General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Advice Post 1st Tri Experience Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-25 7:47 PM

User image

Arlington, TX
Subject: Training Advice Post 1st Tri Experience
I finished my 1st triathlon yesterday and I was pretty much smoked by my age group. I understand that part of that can be attributed to this being my first race, but it's left be questioning my training regimen.

Today I went out for a jog and my legs pretty much gave out, but my breathing was relaxed. That made me think that I need to go longer distances with a slower pace to get my body conditioned.

I don't think that I've spent enough time building by base ... I'm not even sure if I know what that means. Should a beginner focus more on slower pace, longer distance, or just get out there and train hard?

2007-06-25 10:42 PM
in reply to: #859864

User image

Extreme Veteran
Security, CO
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Training Advice Post 1st Tri Experience
I would begin to add at least 1 long slow run per week. From your logs it looks like you mostly run less then 4 miles for most of your sessions. Start out at a 6 mile but much slower than you normally run. Build from there out to 7, 8, 9 then 10 over the next several weeks. Make sure to rest afterwards.
2007-06-25 11:39 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
bradparsons01 - 2007-06-25 6:47 PM

I finished my 1st triathlon yesterday and I was pretty much smoked by my age group. I understand that part of that can be attributed to this being my first race, but it's left be questioning my training regimen.

Today I went out for a jog and my legs pretty much gave out, but my breathing was relaxed. That made me think that I need to go longer distances with a slower pace to get my body conditioned.

I don't think that I've spent enough time building by base ... I'm not even sure if I know what that means. Should a beginner focus more on slower pace, longer distance, or just get out there and train hard?

What is your next event? If it's all sprints, no need to work up to much more than 4 miles, unless you really enjoy running. If you want to work up to Oly distance, than you'll need to work up to the 10k distance obviously.

But you've hit the nail right on teh head.... longer and slower is the ticket for endurance training, especially for people who are new to endurance sports, even if you were previously fit in another sport.

"get out there and train hard" is a recipe for injury, burnout and early plateau of your fitness. learn how to train at an the right endurance pace and you'll be able to train more often, recover faster, and be more consistent with your trianing.
2007-06-26 10:42 PM
in reply to: #860101

User image

Arlington, TX
I haven't decided if my next event will be a sprint or am olympic. I'll likely compete in another sprint, then sign up for an olympic distance.

I have run a 10k, but I don't run that distance on a regular basis. I guess I just need to make more of an effort to slow my pace and complete longer distances. I do feel like I'm plateauing and my body is mostly tired (especially my thighs).

I appreciate the feedback!
2007-06-27 11:30 AM
in reply to: #860101

User image

Veteran
AdventureBear - 2007-06-26 12:39 AM

What is your next event? If it's all sprints, no need to work up to much more than 4 miles, unless you really enjoy running. If you want to work up to Oly distance, than you'll need to work up to the 10k distance obviously.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this statement. This may be true if the only goal is to finish, but the OP stated that he didn't do too well in his age group and implied that he would like to do better. This being the case, longer runs (say 10 miles or so) are absolutely necessary.
2007-06-27 1:12 PM

Master
I'm in the same situation I think. So getting to distances longer than my race distances before race time is a good thing for what... speed?

~fatBoy
http://trifatboy.com

2007-06-27 1:39 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Call it whatever you want:

LSD (long slow distance)
Base training
The Cult of Kicking A$$ (our nickname for it)
Z0/Z1 Heart rate training
Drinking the Kool-Aid

Bottom line is that long and slow is the way to train.  Most training plans you will see are going to call for the vast majority of your work to be in this category.  Build build build.  Add gradually.  It works.  And you will have the least chance of injury, burnout, etc. as mentioned above.  IMO, the only thing about this that can be debated is if you try to put an upper limit on it.  If you tell someone they only need to max out their LSD runs at X because they are training for Y, then you'll probably get an argument.  I think most people will find their maximum distances on their own in accordance with how much time they have to train.  But yes, IMO, other than ironman distances you should be doing the distances in your races, regularly, and at a much a slower pace than "hard effort" to build long term endurance.  By regularly I mean one LSD run per week, for example.  I'm not talking about going 13 miles 3x per week while training for a half ironman.  But once per week helps a lot.  You will automatically see your speed at shorter distances come up.  Now if you want to add speed training to that when you are training for a specific event, more power to ya.  I went from a 26 minute 5K to a 20:40 minute 5K without really ever doing any significant speed training.  Just the occassional time trial to see where I was at.  It takes a while, it's not fast and its not meant to sound easy, but it is easier ON you than going hard all the time.  And it pays off.  You are doing long distance races, you need to take a long view point of view to training.

2007-06-27 1:50 PM
in reply to: #862711

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

doublej - 2007-06-27 11:30 AM
AdventureBear - 2007-06-26 12:39 AM What is your next event? If it's all sprints, no need to work up to much more than 4 miles, unless you really enjoy running. If you want to work up to Oly distance, than you'll need to work up to the 10k distance obviously.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this statement. This may be true if the only goal is to finish, but the OP stated that he didn't do too well in his age group and implied that he would like to do better. This being the case, longer runs (say 10 miles or so) are absolutely necessary.
x2. (even longer!)

Top Sprint/Oly AGers train as much as those competing at the 70.3/HIM distance...

2007-06-27 1:52 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

bradparsons01 - 2007-06-25 7:47 PM I finished my 1st triathlon yesterday and I was pretty much smoked by my age group. I understand that part of that can be attributed to this being my first race, but it's left be questioning my training regimen. Today I went out for a jog and my legs pretty much gave out, but my breathing was relaxed. That made me think that I need to go longer distances with a slower pace to get my body conditioned. I don't think that I've spent enough time building by base ... I'm not even sure if I know what that means. Should a beginner focus more on slower pace, longer distance, or just get out there and train hard?
*I* would pick an A race, then get either a training plan or a coach and then go from there...

Unfortunately unless you have the right genes it will take you a while to develop endurance speed and you need to JFT and be very consistent

2007-06-27 1:56 PM
in reply to: #863049

User image

Runner

OK, I'm going to bring up a point of clarification.....

It's not "Long Slow Distance".  It's "Long STEADY Distance".

Yes, it will be slower than race pace.  Most of your training should be slower than race pace.  So in that sense, it's "slow".  But I think there's a connotation with slow that may be somewhat misleading.  What's a good pace?  Depends on the person.  Without going technical, I would say that it should leave you pleasantly tired, but ready to go do it again.  If you notice that you can't do similar pace in the next day's training, then you're going to hard.

I'm not faulting anyone in any way.  It's a terminology issue that I think has gotten lost over time, but I feel that it's an important distinction. 

2007-06-27 2:18 PM
in reply to: #863064

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Scout7 - 2007-06-27 1:56 PM

It's not "Long Slow Distance".  It's "Long STEADY Distance".

I like slow better.  Bite me.

2007-06-27 2:19 PM
in reply to: #863139

User image

Runner
hangloose - 2007-06-27 3:18 PM
Scout7 - 2007-06-27 1:56 PM

It's not "Long Slow Distance". It's "Long STEADY Distance".

I like slow better. Bite me.

I hear you taste like chicken...... 

2007-06-27 2:19 PM
in reply to: #863139

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Although both terms apply the way I do it.

2007-06-27 6:22 PM
in reply to: #863028

User image

Arlington, TX
hangloose - 2007-06-27 1:39 PM

Call it whatever you want:

LSD (long slow distance)
Base training
The Cult of Kicking A$$ (our nickname for it)
Z0/Z1 Heart rate training
Drinking the Kool-Aid

Bottom line is that long and slow is the way to train.  Most training plans you will see are going to call for the vast majority of your work to be in this category.  Build build build.  Add gradually.  It works.  And you will have the least chance of injury, burnout, etc. as mentioned above.  IMO, the only thing about this that can be debated is if you try to put an upper limit on it.  If you tell someone they only need to max out their LSD runs at X because they are training for Y, then you'll probably get an argument.  I think most people will find their maximum distances on their own in accordance with how much time they have to train.  But yes, IMO, other than ironman distances you should be doing the distances in your races, regularly, and at a much a slower pace than "hard effort" to build long term endurance.  By regularly I mean one LSD run per week, for example.  I'm not talking about going 13 miles 3x per week while training for a half ironman.  But once per week helps a lot.  You will automatically see your speed at shorter distances come up.  Now if you want to add speed training to that when you are training for a specific event, more power to ya.  I went from a 26 minute 5K to a 20:40 minute 5K without really ever doing any significant speed training.  Just the occassional time trial to see where I was at.  It takes a while, it's not fast and its not meant to sound easy, but it is easier ON you than going hard all the time.  And it pays off.  You are doing long distance races, you need to take a long view point of view to training.

I suppose that by now I should realize that I won't see results overnight, so LSD training makes sense. My father-in-law runs marathons and he has given me the same advice. There's just something in me that wants to push it 100% of the time I'm training.

I appreciate everyone's responces.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Advice Post 1st Tri Experience Rss Feed