Endorfun
70sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 22m 57s
Overall Rank = 372/406
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 19/22
Pre-race routine:

Woke up :45 minutes before leaving to pack up truck. Between 3:30 and 6:00, managed to down 3 EAS energy shakes because I don't like to eat solids before races. Found Adam_NH and said hello then finally found TriMom217.
Event warmup:

Jogged about 8 minutes around the parking lot area. Took a gel before walking over to the swim start.
Swim
  • 30m 54s
  • 1500 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

I like to start in the middle or forward section of the back. A normal start, where I like to wait about 6-10 seconds or so until the field is somewhat scattered so there are is at least a body length available in between the swimmer in front of me and I can dive in. Wetsuit was perfect for the water temp, but my feet were a little cold still. Never felt like I could find my own "space" during the swim, and if I wasn't zig-zagging all over the place, someone else was doing it in front or on the side of me. I suppose this is normal in my events so far though. Managed to pace myself well, and maintained bilateral breathing throughout. Normally in open water, I don't breathe the way I train in the pool, so I can say that I'm finally putting it all together.
The visibility was great - one of the cleanest lakes in the U.S.
What would you do differently?:

I wasn't sighting "water polo" style for some reason, I would stop, sight, then breast stroke propel myself back into swimming freestyle. Hmmmm.....I haven't seen THAT since my first open water swim. I noticed doing that at least 3 times, don't know why I began doing it again. Note to self: sight while swimming forward!
Transition 1
  • 04m 36s
Comments:

Although my legs decided to cooperate with me when I wanted to run from the time the water was waist high to my bike, I've come to believe that I need to actually practice T1s. This over 4 minute stuff has got to stop. I haven't gotten the courage to shorten my wetsuit legs by cutting them, and am still getting my feet caught in them. My shirt: first time this same top I've been wearing got tangled up while trying to get it on. I did take the time to towel off all the stuff off my feet that I caught running in the sand, dirt and grass because I don't like anything in my socks other than my feet! I ride in my running shoes and clips.

Still haven't quite figured what's best for me after 5 events.
Bike
  • 1h 45m 39s
  • 44 kms
  • 24.99 km/hr
Comments:

Biking is by far my weakest discipline, especially among hills. That first big hill took alot out of me, but I managed to stay on the bike. I was completely breathless reaching the top, had to use my smallest gear and my RPE was definitely a 10, maybe even higher if that's possible. I later joked - but was serious - about thinking of just pushing the bike up. I then heard a personal account that at least one person was sighted doing it. (Probably a good strategy if it saved your legs for the rest of the ride!) I spun out at the top of it to get the lactic acid flushed out of my legs. The steep downhills hardly made up for the rest of the "rolling hills", and I definitetly had to work hard on this entire course. I got passed many times, but didn't come in DFL on this segment. Was lucky I didn't have any bike issues. I saw a Lakes Region Cyclery van stopped to help out at least 2 cyclists, heard one story (TriMom's!), and other people fixing their bikes on the side. I must not ride hard enough!

I know I've improved my leg strength and cycling endurance this year, but am still impatient at my improvement level. I am definitely going to make the jump to bike shoes and clipless next season, hopefully this will show an improvement. I did slip out of my pedal cage once on the ride, which wasn't fun. Time for an upgrade!
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

I haven't gotten the courage to jump off a moving bike and trusting that my legs won't fail on me when I try to start to run through T2 so soon. So for me, it's stop at dismount line, leg check...ok, run! I was feeling a little crazy today and decided that I was going to mimick what I'd seen on TV. I ran with my bike, and pushed it holding onto the seat. I normally hold the seat and handlebars while I run. I trusted gyroscopic precession or some other sort of mystical physics would allow me to guide the bike with small tilts while I was running. It worked. I know, I'm a tiger - go ahead and say it! I thought my coolness went up at least 1 point after such a demoralizing bike ride.
I ride with my running shoes and clips, so the T2 was a little quicker for me.
Run
  • 1h 00m 43s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 04s  min/km
Comments:

I had gotten into the habit of running at least 5 minutes after coming off a cycling training event - whether it's from a spinning class, rides on my bike or the hotel stationary/recumbents, and I think it's helped me. I wanted to do sub 9:30's for the 10K....might have been able to do it on a flat course, but the rolling hills here were challenging.
I got passed by a guy who was run-walking, and thought I'd catch up to him 2x. NOT! Saw a guy running barefoot, and another carrying his left shoe.
At the mile 6 marker with only .2 miles left to go, I normally like to pick it up and try to sprint in for the hell of it. I can normally speak when running, but I went breathless. I had just passed one guy and I could hear someone approaching for the last 3/4 mile, then a woman spectating yelled, "Go girl! You got 2 men on your tail!" I love spectators, they are so motivating! (Did I mention those guys were well beyond AARP qualified?)

I need to move to NH where it's beautiful with plenty of hills to train on!
Post race
Warm down:

Saw TriMom217 on run out-and-back and she told me about her bike fiasco. She looked great, in good spirits still, and I told her to hurry on back so we could CHOW DOWN! After running, I hurried to get my camera out of my bag, and cheered the rest of the athletes in...hopefully in enough time to catch TriMom217 go through the chute.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

UH....HILLS. :)

Event comments:

Endorfun and the race director Keith Jordan has put on the best races I've been to, which were 2 out of 5. Great post race feast, awards ceremony, raffle prizes (computrainer!), race venues, choice vendors, organization, volunteers, etc. I would highly recommend his races. We get good goodie bags too...this one had a drawstring backpack from Triathlon Bag . com.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-09-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:54 | 1500 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 215/406
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman Full Instinct
Course: Counterclockwise triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:36
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:45:39 | 44 kms | 24.99 km/hr
Overall: 382/406
Performance: Bad
OUCH what a shameful bike split! This course was extremely challenging for me. I really need to work on becoming a stronger cyclist over the off season!
Wind: Little
Course: Clockwise around Newfound Lake and surrounding neighborhoods. Great scenery with some challenging hills. Largest hill at approximately mile 5.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:43 | 10 kms | 06m 04s  min/km
Overall: 356/406
Performance: Average
Course: An out and back. First part coming out of T2 was running along a very narrow width (3 feet wide maybe) of the beach. After that bike ride, and waiting for my legs to get the message that *hello, we are running now*, I did not want to have to run on that sand!! It was only a small part of it, but still! :) Lots of water stations (5 opportunities) with one stocked with CarBooms. Through the waterside neighborhoods, supportive residents cheering everyone along.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-09-26 7:25 AM

Online or Offline
Subject: Granite Ledges

2004-09-26 9:11 AM
in reply to: #66573

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: Granite Ledges
you rock girlfriend!  What a great race you had!  Next year we're going to work on our climbing technique, ok?  We'll be ready to romp at the new half IM 
2004-09-26 10:12 AM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Awesome Job.
2004-09-26 11:14 AM
in reply to: #66588

Online or Offline
Ellen,
Half IM?
Seeesh! I need to work on more than just CLIMBING!! Ugh, I can't believe I think I can bike a course like that, double the distance, and still have legs to run a rolling hill half marathon....

June 5th........but did Keith Jordan (race director) say WHERE exactly, before we commit completely? Or did we already commit regardless? ***laughs nervously*** YIKES
May
2004-09-26 9:52 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
great job! Isn't it great to meet your online buddies in person?
2004-09-27 2:26 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
May-You are a tiger!! Great race!! Sounds like a tough one, a bit more challenging than the flatlands of Cranberry country. but glad you made it. Time to start planning next year.
glen

2004-09-27 5:38 PM
in reply to: #66995

Online or Offline
LOL! Thanks Glen! Yeah, I am already thinking about the punishment I'm going to take on the bike there next year. I have some serious reconciling to do with a short piece of that course...

Mary, it is fun to meet up with people from the forum! We've got some rallying up to do here in the Northeast to match that showing ya'll had for the Fall Chill out west!

Edited by TypeA Girl Pilot 2004-09-27 6:06 PM
2004-09-30 8:51 AM

Champion

Woo hoo!  Nice race!  Now you just have to get together next spring with me, Ellen, and Evelyn and do a few bike training rides.  We'll get you up those hills and your cycling will improve.  Glad to see you had fun...and yes, Keith Jordan sure does run the best races!

Max

2004-10-09 9:12 PM
in reply to: #67082

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Let me guess which part of the bike course. That friggin hill by the Marina outside of Hebron. I spent two weeks up there this summer, and cursed that hill every trip around the lake. I did the race in 2002 when they had sprint along with the Oly. That hill hasn't gotten any easier.
2004-10-10 8:08 AM
in reply to: #70839

Online or Offline
NYtrigal
You couldn't mistake that hill for any other one on that course. If there was a marina there, then I guess there was a marina nearby -- I was too stressed out to sightsee that day!!
It was near mile 5 on the northwest corner of the lake.
You seem to do lots of tris up here, give us a shout if you come up next season for any of the races!

(GLBIKERUNMAP.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
GLBIKERUNMAP.jpg (38KB - 22 downloads)
2004-10-11 11:10 AM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

I missed this RR before somehow....

Way to go, May!! The course sounded brutal! You are one tough cookie!

Jen

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Granite Ledges Rss Feed