General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wearing a wetsuit up to 84 degrees - IM LOU Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-07-08 12:21 PM
in reply to: #876195

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Wearing a wetsuit up to 84 degrees - IM LOU

I would very much like to wear a wetsuit during this swim. I am not worried about drowning.

I am trying to find info, but I do remember that the water temps in the Ohio can get quite warm.

2007-07-08 12:26 PM
in reply to: #876240

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
rollinsw - 2007-07-08 1:21 PM

I would very much like to wear a wetsuit during this swim. I am not worried about drowning.

I am trying to find info, but I do remember that the water temps in the Ohio can get quite warm.

I agree completely about the wetsuit....I want to wear one also if it is under 78* (my swimming is my weakest event), however I am not going to wear one if it is not legal for everyone because a) I don't want to overheat and DNF (a very real possibility in water that warm), or b) because I am not confident enough in my swim to think I can finish.

This is my 3rd IM, the first was wetsuit legal and the second wasn't. Didn't notice much of a time difference between the two.

2007-07-08 2:15 PM
in reply to: #876081

User image

Veteran
rollinsw - 2007-07-08 8:43 AM

I asked Emilio about swimming in just the bibjohn and here is what he said:

".....If it works or not depends on how snug the Bibjohn fits you. I would recommend you test it in training first. Many people, including me, have raced in just the Bibjohn quite successfully. But I invented the Speedtube ..... specifically to be used in warm water races where wetsuits are permitted to keep you from overheating, but to still allow for the speed advantages of the float."

I have practiced a few times in just the bibjohn and it has worked okay. I am going to try a few longer swims in it soon.

I own a 2mm speed tube and think it's quite possibly the best invention ever for triathlon. Completely unrestricted upper body movement plus just enough flotation to keep my legs high in the water (and no, I don't work for DeSoto). Highly recommended.
2007-07-08 2:41 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Rocket Man - 2007-07-08 11:15 AM

Seriously, if you are that concerned about swimming 2.4 miles (approx 4400yds) without a wetsuit because you are concerned about drowning, then maybe you should a) spend more time in the pool or b) wait and do and IM race when you are trained properly to complete it safely. 

x2. 80 (+/-) min swim wearing a wetsuit in 80+ water temp =  brutal!

Nothing personal to the OP but, what amazes me is how many people keep rushing to sign up for an IM unprepared or hoping to get by with minimum training. Why not to either train properly to be ready, enjoy and safely complete the race or be patient and build up endurance over a few years before tackling into the challenge.

Anyway, good luck to the OP with whatever he/she decides to do…

2007-07-08 4:12 PM
in reply to: #871618

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-08 6:28 PM
in reply to: #876438

New user
PennState - 2007-07-08 4:12 PM

Yes, I think to be fair, the OP is really trying to say the following:

'I am very concerned about the 2.4 mile swim and I wonder if I trained enough for this aspect of the IM'.

There is nothing wrong with showing concern for this at all. But it does really beg the question of whether you trained enough for the swim. I severely undertrain for the swim (only HIMs this year), as I only get 4-5 hours in a month, but I have a strong swimming backround and get away with it. I never even dream of the idea of drowning, as I know that I could breast stroke a little and get it together if I had problems.

I really wish you the best of success... I'm just giving you my total honest opinion

Well OP slammed me for disagreeing but I think what the OP is really trying to say is"

"The thought of 2000 people smacking the crap out of eachother in the water is making me nervous as hell"

I don't the distance of the IM swim scares most people, it shouldn't. Out of al 3 legs it's the shortest, it's the one you will do most fresh, and it's the leg that takes the least traning.

I think people panic becuase of the huge amount of bodies at an IM. This panic leads people to consider doing counter productive things to the entire race like wearing a wetsuit in 84 degree water.

2007-07-09 11:38 PM
in reply to: #876367

Veteran
Perth, Oz
amiine - 2007-07-09 3:41 AM
Rocket Man - 2007-07-08 11:15 AM

Seriously, if you are that concerned about swimming 2.4 miles (approx 4400yds) without a wetsuit because you are concerned about drowning, then maybe you should a) spend more time in the pool or b) wait and do and IM race when you are trained properly to complete it safely. 

x2. 80 (+/-) min swim wearing a wetsuit in 80+ water temp =  brutal!

Nothing personal to the OP but, what amazes me is how many people keep rushing to sign up for an IM unprepared or hoping to get by with minimum training. Why not to either train properly to be ready, enjoy and safely complete the race or be patient and build up endurance over a few years before tackling into the challenge.

Anyway, good luck to the OP with whatever he/she decides to do…

I agree it really amazes me that people are prepared to tackle and ironman with no swim confidence.

watching Ironman WA two years ago when the weather conditions were appalling  really tough swell,  there were people being hauled out of the water all over the show.   Yes the swell was rough but its an ocean its unpredictable. 

the most amazing thing was talking to 2 very very disappointed Japanese gentlemen.  They had not made the swim cut off time (they actually extended the allowed cut off time by 40mins because of the weather).   they had NEVER swum in an ocean before!  that to me is insane!

2007-07-10 8:09 AM
in reply to: #871618

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-10 8:29 AM
in reply to: #878449

Master
Chesapeake, VA
splerph - 2007-07-10 12:38 AM

I agree it really amazes me that people are prepared to tackle and ironman with no swim confidence.

Been there, done that.  Doing an IM is an incredibly personal experience.  NOBODY on this board or any other forum can decide when someone is ready to take on the Ironman.  One of my proudest moments at CdA this year was coming out of the water.  I had zero swim confidence going into the race as there is no way to REALLY train for the slugfest of a mass start with 2,300 people.  The Gatorade swims were HUGE for me on race week as that was as close to race conditions as I was going to ever see.  I am glad I had a wetsuit and wouldn't sign up for an IM where wearing a wetsuit was even a question.   

To the OP if it is legal, it is 100% your decision.  Good luck! 

2007-07-10 3:14 PM

Mid Michigan
You people are truly amazing. I read through the thread and see a number of "This what the OP was trying to say" or "This is what the OP meant". I was quite clear in what I was saying. My preparedness was never apart of the question. It was a very simple question... "the rules say you can wear over 78 degrees (up to 84)... have you have ever warn one under those conditions." PERIOD. Was pretty much a yes or no question, wasn't looking for, nor desire, your uneducated evaluations of my readiness. But by all means... Play on.
2007-07-10 3:23 PM
in reply to: #879899

Elite

BrianSusan - 2007-07-10 2:14 PM You people are truly amazing. I read through the thread and see a number of "This what the OP was trying to say" or "This is what the OP meant". I was quite clear in what I was saying. My preparedness was never apart of the question. It was a very simple question... "the rules say you can wear over 78 degrees (up to 84)... have you have ever warn one under those conditions." PERIOD. Was pretty much a yes or no question, wasn't looking for, nor desire, your uneducated evaluations of my readiness. But by all means... Play on.

But your original post said more than that; it included these two sentences:

"In the wake of recent triathlon drownings will anyone else wear a wetsuit if the water temps are in this range? I am not going to be worried about awards and will wear a wetsuit under any conditions they allow."

I think it was reasonable to conclude from these two sentences that you were concerned about your own safety during the swim in the absence of a wetsuit.

2007-07-10 4:09 PM
in reply to: #879899

New user
BrianSusan - 2007-07-10 3:14 PM

You people are truly amazing. I read through the thread and see a number of "This what the OP was trying to say" or "This is what the OP meant". I was quite clear in what I was saying. My preparedness was never apart of the question. It was a very simple question... "the rules say you can wear over 78 degrees (up to 84)... have you have ever warn one under those conditions." PERIOD. Was pretty much a yes or no question, wasn't looking for, nor desire, your uneducated evaluations of my readiness. But by all means... Play on.

Fine, yes I have worn a wetsuit in 80 degree weather in a pool. It was hot and uncomfortable.

Given your attitude I would highly recommend you do it fo your race.
2007-07-10 4:42 PM
in reply to: #880053

Veteran
kblahetka - 2007-07-10 4:09 PM

Fine, yes I have worn a wetsuit in 80 degree weather in a pool. It was hot and uncomfortable.

Given your attitude I would highly recommend you do it fo your race.

x2!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wearing a wetsuit up to 84 degrees - IM LOU Rss Feed  

of 2