Tri-Family Racing
81F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 31m 26s
Overall Rank = 20/83
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/8
Pre-race routine:

1/2 mile walking to get my stuff all set up (only cause I got there so early that they made me park and hike my stuff to the transition site) & some stretching.
Swim
  • 20m 31s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

I don't think I could have had much better of a swim. I never really felt like I was off course, I got the inside track on every bouy turn, and I was able to draft on a few people for as long as I could.
What would you do differently?:

Focus on keeping my head down and for longer swims like this I should practice on every other stroke breathing.
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

I forgot to have my pedal straps pre-race adjusted so that I could just slip into them...huge mistake. I think I must have taken a nap or something during the T1. Actually I had difficulty and problems with every aspect of my transition. I lost every moment of success in my swim and set myself up to fail in my bike time due to this below poor transition.

Practice T1 transitions so they flow a lot smoother.
Bike
  • 44m 1s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 16.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Actually, my bike avg. was very close to my bike time when I had practiced the course a few weeks before the race. I felt that there were a few times I could have given it more but didn't cause I was saving some for the run.

Make sure gears and straps are set up for bike start as pre-race checklist.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

This transition was just like I had practiced all my transitions in the past...couldn't have asked for anything better.

Nothing.
Run
  • 21m 9s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Again my calves were seizing up on me for about the first mile. After that I was flying...I had to be running 1.5x faster than that first mile in order to have under an 8.5 min per mile avg.

Load up on suppliments 2 weeks prior to next race to aviod muscle seizing issues.
Post race
Warm down:

From the last race, I remember dropping to my knees asking for water. This time I crossed the finish line, put my hands on my hips, and walked to my bike thinking about all the things I could have done better. Shortness of breath only lasted 15 sec or so.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My T1 time.

Event comments:

Next year I'm doing the Olyimpic...watch out big dogs, here I come!!!

Last updated: 2004-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:31 | 1000 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 14/83
Performance: Good
Suit: Speedo skin tight shorts
Course: The course was supposed to be 750 meters. Due to the storm during the night it had blown the bouys all over the place so they had to set them up that morning by sight. I can only guesstimate from my time the actuall swim distance and also from what some of the pro racers were saying about how far they felt it would have been based on their times.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:44:01 | 12.4 miles | 16.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 30/83
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Extremely hilly course...so much so that my normal bike avg. was knocked down by 2.5 mph. I need more hill course work for next year.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:09 | 02.5 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 32/83
Performance: Average
Course: Hills to the max!!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %.4
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-09-28 1:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
Subject: Lake Pleasant Tri

2004-09-28 8:05 PM
in reply to: #67213

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: Lake Pleasant Tri
Awesome job Casey!!! Way to come back from that first run mile and fly! Great job placing in the top 3 in your AG!!! Woo hoo!!!
2004-09-28 11:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
great race!! aside from your t1 time you did exceptionally well!
2004-09-29 3:25 PM
in reply to: #67578

User image

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Don't be so hard on yourself about your T1 time. Transitions take practice too! I think you did an awesome job, especially because the swim was so long.

I noticed you mentioned straps...are you riding in cages? Ahh, Casey, if so, we must get you some clipless pedals. You will love them!

Is this your last race of the season?

Edited by Robin in AZ 2004-09-29 3:25 PM
2004-09-30 12:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
Yes I'm in cages...and I don't really want to change this season on that, I'm still trying to get comfortable just riding my bike with aero bars and all that let alone trying to change shoes 2x a race.

As far as the question about being my last race...I'm going to see you at the Halloween GCC race, you better be there!!! Time to put a real live face to the people I encourage and get encouragement from, I can't wait!!! I was going to sign up for the Thanksgiving GCC tri but it looks like I'll be in San Diego then at my parents place. So Halloween will be my last for this year.
2004-09-30 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
Great race Casey! I agree with the length of the swim, once you adjust for the new lenght the times make sense. Your run was killer for those hills.
John

2004-09-30 12:30 PM
in reply to: #67957

User image

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Hey Casey!!

I will be at GCC! I had a really bad race back in the spring and had been gunshy about racing again, but I signed up! In fact, my avatar is from one of the races.

It should be fun. Maybe it won't be as crowded because a lot of people I know are going to do the SOMA 1/2 that day instead.

Now that the off season is approaching, it will be the perfect time to replace those cages! Once you get the hang of it, you will love the clipless pedals. I remember just recently, clipping out so easily, I thought it was something wrong with the cleat. It has become 2nd nature to me and I never, ever thought I'd say that.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Pleasant Tri Rss Feed