General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brand New Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-09 11:00 AM

Subject: Brand New
Hi all! I'm brand new to tri's. A friend and I have decided to start training for '08. We're looking for any information on gear races in the Midwest, particularly Kansas, etc. If you can offer any help advice, etc. We'd love to hear it. We live in western Kansas and honestly don't know much about the sport. We're doing it strictly to get into better shape and feel good about ourselves. Thanks in advance.

2007-07-09 11:27 PM
in reply to: #877292

User image

Veteran
Roeland Park
Subject: RE: Brand New
Welcome welcome!! Great to have you on BT!

You will find alot of great people in Kansas-land on here.

A great place to find tris all over is www.trifind.com or you could even look @ the USAT website for sactioned races. www.usatriathlon.org

A great way to get involved even before racing is volunteering at a few events. Gives you the chance to see all the fun!

Hope to see you at some races!
2007-07-10 12:16 PM

Regular
I live in Topeka but grew up in Hays. What part of Western Kansas do you live. I go back west all the time. I am new at the sport also. I have done my first Sprint, Topeka Tinman. It is a great first race. the swim is 300 meters so its nice and short. I am training to do a full course in two weeks in Lawrence, the Midwest Mayhem. Finally I am going to end the season with a Half Ironman, The Redman in Oklahoma City. If I can help or point you in the right direction let me know. Good luck, once you do your first race you will be hooked. Make sure to look at the training plans here.
2007-07-10 2:21 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
When do you want to race? There are a good number of races that are at the east end of the state. Lawrence in Two weeks, Kansas City in August, and another Race in September, they Midwest Meltdown (don't remember the location).
2007-07-10 2:48 PM

We live in Dodge City. I actually have a great group of friends now wanting to do it also! But we're all newbies. None of us have any experience at all. We're just starting, so we'll need to allow plenty of time to train, so we're looking at next spring or summer. We just don't want to get in over our heads. We want to make sure we're in good enough shape Others are skeptical, but we're determined. We're working on the training methods they have on here. We're looking at maybe doing a 5K late this year and then training for the triatholon in Manhatten unless there's one earlier in the year. That's all I could find on this site. Anyway, thanks for all the help. I'm looking forward to meeting you all at some point this year.
2007-07-10 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
I recomend going to watch one if you can. You can just get a feel for how things go, maybe pick up a few little tricks. I walked into my first tri pretty blind. Thankfully triathletes are pretty helpful and some other folks showed me the ropes.

2007-07-11 9:13 AM
in reply to: #879855

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
audreyackerman - 2007-07-10 2:48 PM

We live in Dodge City. I actually have a great group of friends now wanting to do it also! But we're all newbies. None of us have any experience at all. We're just starting, so we'll need to allow plenty of time to train, so we're looking at next spring or summer. We just don't want to get in over our heads. We want to make sure we're in good enough shape Others are skeptical, but we're determined. We're working on the training methods they have on here. We're looking at maybe doing a 5K late this year and then training for the triatholon in Manhatten unless there's one earlier in the year. That's all I could find on this site. Anyway, thanks for all the help. I'm looking forward to meeting you all at some point this year.

There is also the Salty Dog in Hutchinson: http://www.hutchrec.com/events/detail.asp?iEve=29&iType=947
2007-07-11 5:19 PM

Regular
I was a police officer in Dodge City for two years before coming to Topeka as a police officer. Isn't there a pool at the old St. Mary's college? If you want to make the drive to Lawrence to watch a race the Midwest Mayhem is July 22. You could have a fun night out in Lawrence or KC area the night before,then get up and watch the race. If your looking for other races in the area go to KC Multisports website or USAT's website. The Mayhem will be a good one to watch. If you are not looking to do a triathlon until next year I would do the Topeka Tinman as your first. With the swim only 300 meters it is really short and lets you know how to swim in a pack. The bike is easy too. There is one small hill and the second half is all down hill. Watching a race will show you how great the triathlon environment and people are. They are all very supportive. Maybe you should think about being a volunteer at a race while watching it. Good luck
2007-07-12 9:07 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I agree w/ Adam. Topeka Tinman is a fantastic first-timer race.

Also agree w/ others that watching or volunteering at a race will do wonders... give you an idea of the atmosphere early on.

A lot of us will be at Midwest Mayhem if you want to meet up...

2007-07-12 9:29 AM

Awesome! I'll try to get the girls together to go. When's the Topeka tinman for planning purposes?
2007-07-12 2:04 PM
in reply to: #882632

Regular
The Tinman is in the Middle of June so you will have plenty of time to train. Just respond if you make it to the Midwest Mayhem to watch. If you go to the Mayhem's website you will find information about volunteering. If you stay in Lawrence or Topeka let me know and I can tell you the better/cheaper places to stay. There also is a Sprint Distance with THe Big O half Iron Distance in Olathe. That Tri is the first week of May. You may want to look at doing it. The swim is probably 500 Meters. If you do the Big O Sprint you will know what its like and be able to train all summer for some more Tris in June, July, Aug., and Sept.

2007-07-12 2:07 PM
in reply to: #882581

Regular
Lisa,

Is the Mayhem gonna be your second and are you doing the full or half? Let me know how to find and meet ya.

Adam
2007-07-13 4:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Roeland Park
Flint Hill Tri in Manhattan is a good fire time as well. Beginning of June usually. Sadly, I missed it this year, but Mayhem will be fun!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brand New Rss Feed