Sierra Mountain Sports
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 02m 29s
Overall Rank = 6/100
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

Prep bike, take shower, & stretch the night before. Watch television and stay off feet. Eat pasta dinner and drink water/milk. Breakfast of milk and a banana
Event warmup:

Stretching, quick dip in water to adjust.
Swim
  • 07m 27s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt like hell after 100 yards, until I remembered that I was 5000+ feet above sea level. Took my time and just got through it. Wetsuit made a wonderful difference. Stayed wide the whole time. Lost some time avoiding feet early and late, when I caught a group of people slowing down. Bouys were well placed, but I was surprised not to see the leaders getting out of the water as I approached. Thought maybe I was looking at the wrong location. It turned out the leaders were only a bit ahead of me (go figure).
What would you do differently?:

Get wider at the start. Focus more on technique. Don't swallow as much water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Viewed course the day before. Quick turn and hill out of start, so I decided not to put shoes on while riding. It was a good decision. Passed several people in T1 area. 147 BPM in T1.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 29m 35s
  • 12 miles
  • 24.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Caught a group on the first hill. Kept trading places on downhills. I'd catch them again on the climbs and give it up on the downhills. Ended up coming into T2 as #3, but was very surprised to be in that position. Thought I was doing OK, but couldn't figure out why I wasn't seeing the leaders closer to the turn around -- then found out I was less than 2 minutes off the lead and was in the top 5. A great feeling! Top speed: 38.8 mph.

Push harder on the downhills and flats, especially when I found out that the couse was shorter than expected.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Forgot to take off shoes on descent into T2. Almost forgot to clip out of second pedal as I hopped off the bike. Came into T2 #3, left #5... I was the only one of the group that changed shoes and/or put on socks. 143 BPM in T2

Ride with feet out of shoes for last 100 yards & find a way to run without socks or to get socks on faster.
Run
  • 22m 11s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt like hell the whole time on run. Knew I was going to regurgitate as soon as I got off the bike. It happened 11 minutes into the run. Was passed while doubled over. This makes three pukes in 3 tri's. I take on too much water in the swim and it gets released on the run. Missed 5th place by :20 because of the needed stop. Should have pushed harder after the incident, but wanted to make sure I finished without another puke.

Not puke. Push harder on the last mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching and walking around

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Puking, altitude, and me not pushing hard enough.

Event comments:

Not many volunteers, but it was a small race. Markings were pretty good, but could have been better at turn around for bike and in campground. Also, there was a roundabout where many were confused -- a volunteer there would have helped. Overall average BMP: 153 (0:37 above target, 0:37 below target, 52:24 in target). 1,088 kcal burned (not including swim).

Last updated: 2004-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:27 | 400 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 10/100
Performance: Average
lake swim
Suit: Xterra Longjohn
Course: Start with feet in water, out to bouy to left (+/- 60 yds), parallel to shore (+/- 250 yards), back into shore (+/- 90 yards).
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:35 | 12 miles | 24.34 mile/hr
Overall: 3/100
Performance: Good
My bike showed distance was closer to 9 miles (18.1 mph average). 153 BMP average, which is well above normal. Out and back on the highway.
Wind: None
Course: Leave T1 on a climb, through campground, and onto highway for a series of short, steep climbs. Downhill and turn left onto service road with more climbs and short desents. Turnaround was on a steep downhill after a turn, on the dirt. Several missed the turn area (including me) and one guy went down on dirt turn around. Return the same way.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:22:11 | 03 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 6/100
Performance: Average
155 BPM. First mile was a hilly trail run (completely unexpected), then went through campground on short hills. Time was good, but I thought distance was a bit short. Only one mile marker spotted.
Course: Out of T1, through the woods for 1 mile, onto main campground road, around campground on paved roads, and back down into finish area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-09-28 4:15 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2004-09-28 6:33 PM
in reply to: #67520

Pro
Helena, MT
Subject: RE: Shaver Lake
Wow! I'm impressed! 6th place considering stopping to puke is amazing! Just wait till you figure out how to keep your tummy happy... you'll smoke everyone!
2004-09-28 6:59 PM
in reply to: #67555

2004-09-29 12:46 AM
in reply to: #67520

Veteran
San Antonio, TX
Subject: RE: Shaver Lake
Good job!! I did the Oly distance race but found the hills on the way out toward Dinkey Creek just turned my legs to jello. I'll train harder and be back next year.

Again, great job.
2004-09-29 4:56 PM
in reply to: #67631

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shaver Lake Rss Feed