General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First HIM - Having Major Doubts! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-11 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Bronze member
Subject: First HIM - Having Major Doubts!
I've been focusing on training for the Spirit of Racine Half-Ironman for about six months now and feeling pretty confident in my progress.  Now that the race is about 10 days away, I'm totally wigged out.  No excitement whatsoever, just complete fear.  We did an Olympic in Grand Haven, Mich, this past weekend that was supposed to be our tune-up race and give me confidence for the HIM, but the conditions were really tough and I had such a bad day that it's done completely the opposite.  Made me question whether I am totally insane for attempting a half-ironman my second year of triathlons.  I have never, ever feared stepping up in distance.  I went from zero running base to a marathon in a year.  Went from my first sprint to an Olympic my first tri season.  I usually love to go long.  But after last weekend, I just can't seem to get over this mental block that I'm not prepared for the race.  Especially the swim.  Is this normal?  Am I just nuts?  How do I get over this?  HELP!

2007-07-11 3:24 PM
in reply to: #881753

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: First HIM - Having Major Doubts!

Totally normal, breathe, relax.  Though I didn't look at your logs, what's in the barn is in the barn.  Nothing more you can do at this point.  Just go out there and try to take it smooth and not kill yourself on the bike. 

I posted a very similar thread before my first HIM.

2007-07-11 3:24 PM

User image

first..... breathe.    Heh, you should have read my logs before my first HIM this year.  I was a basketcase.  So much so that Xan penned the little paragraph below, which I have adopted as my personal mantra.  And it is so true.

I took a quick peek at your logs.  AFAIK, you're ready, and you'll do fine.

2007-07-11 3:30 PM

User image

over a barrier
Quick glance at your logs you're fine....just take the first half of the bike easy and let the the hammerheads go....
2007-07-11 3:41 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Jen,

You will have TONS of support to help you get through the run.  We will be there for you in any way shape or form we can be to help you.

You are doing this, and you are going to be great.

Hang loose.

(was that good?  cuz I was also thinking about going with the "you can't do any worse than I did at PP last year when I swam into a fricking dock and gave myself a concussion" angle but I thought this way sounded more positive.)

2007-07-11 3:48 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Well If you did not have doubts then why do it?

Half the fun of endurance sport is to see if you can do it.

I have done a half ironman and if I can do it anyone can. Do not make a 290 lbs man make you look bad. If you have any fear during the race know I will be right behind you. Sure maybe 2 - 3 hours behind you but I will be there. Know if I am still going there is no reason for you not to keep going.

2007-07-11 3:48 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

was that good?  cuz I was also thinking about going with the "you can't do any worse than I did at PP last year when I swam into a fricking dock and gave myself a concussion" angle but I thought this way sounded more positive.)

Yea I vote we table any discussion of your silly antics and wife-beater tanktops until a more appropriate venue comes along.  Especially since I held back on all the "melted chocolate gu on my backpack in transition that created a huge swarm of flies" talk.

2007-07-11 4:04 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Taper Madness is definitely the order of the day.

I did take more than a casual look at your logs. I am not a coach and am definitely a rule breaker when it comes to training but it seems to me that you did really well with your Friday Long Runs and Sunday Long Rides. I especially liked that you followed most of your long rides with some sort of a transition run.

Your tuneup races definitely helped maintain some good intensity also.

Just sit back and enjoy your taper and everything will be fine

2007-07-11 4:07 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Check out my major freaky session before my first OLY....

We've all been there.

I think you will be fine. You are just a little wigged out after a strange experience this weekend. And hey, no matter what happens, you will pass me on the run! Laughing Just be nice, OK?

2007-07-11 4:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Bronze member
Thanks all!  I'm already feeling a little better.  It definitely helps to know that I'm not alone in my pre-race anxiety.  I'm just so taken aback by these feelings because it's something I'm not used to experiencing.  But I'm definitely feeling the BT support and that helps a ton.
2007-07-11 4:29 PM
in reply to: #881932

User image

Master
Denver
I hope you are chilling out now! You've done more than me distance wise, and I am feeling good about my first HIM in four weeks. You might want to peak at the "HIM obsession" thread in the Gold member's forum from a month or so ago when I WAS freaking.

2007-07-11 4:57 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Look back at your logs. You're ready. Good luck!
2007-07-11 6:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Security, CO
Bronze member
You must chant 70. 3 times!

"I am a Triathlete proud and strong,
I can swim, bike, run all day long."

Guaranteed to get rid of those nasty negative thoughts.

Good luck and may you persevere!

Dean

2007-07-11 6:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

I read your logs...you are ready...I'm in the same boat as you my first HIM is on Saturday....the swim should be a piece of cake - I'm surprised you don't have gills after all the swimming you've done.

Like me, I've noticed you don't have that many long bike rides in. That's not a problem, just remember to spin at a high cadence rather than push really big gears so you can save your legs a little for the run.

Also, try (only if you are comfortable doing so) standing while riding every 20 minutes or so for a short time, it will help you use other leg muscles and, along with the spinning, flush out the evil, foul badness that muscles like to hold on to.

The run is the run, I'm planning to endure it and I know I will. You have the training, you've done the mileage, you should finish this upright, smiling and ready for your next one!

Don't forget good nutrition and better hydration on the bike. Eat and drink what you have practiced. 

It's all good. Get lots of sleep two nights before the race, cause the night before you won't! 

2007-07-11 6:43 PM

User image

Champion
MA

You can do it!

You've trained, enjoy the day and do your best.

I volunteered at two HIM in last month...my suggestion is to relax and have fun; don't push to hard on the bike so you save something for the run, be sure you eat/drink on the bike so you are fully hydrated and getting calories in,  most regular folks walk some on the run if you need to do so, smile and enjoy the excitement of doing your first HIM....it helps to let go of time goals and aim to have the most fun possible that day.

I hope to do my first HIM in September...I'm not sure I can due to a bike crash...and not sure how my seperated shoulder will take the swimming. 

I'll be looking forward to reading your RR...and learn from your first HIM~

2007-07-12 7:08 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Jen,

1) You are trained and ready to go.  The mileage has been put in and confirmed by this community

Have Fun!  Really.  Just have fun.  The goal of a first HIM is to finish.  And you are going to finish (see #1).  We all have time goals, etc. that put pressure on us, that we don't need on race day...so just have fun with it.  You will do awesome.  There are so many people you know on the course and the venue looks to be awesome.  So enjoy the day.  I mean, really just take it all in.  The bikes, the fans, the crowd, the athletes, the zoo, the out and back where jonathan will be running by all of us!

Really.  It will be over before you know it...enjoy the day.

Of course, this was meant to motivate you and make sure you have a good time.  But it is also something I keep telling myself.  Heh.

2007-07-12 7:14 AM
in reply to: #882390

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
schmize - 2007-07-12 7:08 AM

Of course, this was meant to motivate you and make sure you have a good time.  But it is also something I keep telling myself.  Heh.

Yep.  I think all of us want to hear the same things said to you in this thread.  We're all a little nervous, Jen.  But I know one thing for sure, whether I set the course on fire or DNF I'm going up there to have fun and my BT brethren will be there for me either way. 

2007-07-12 7:21 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Looking at your logs, you have hit nearly every workout and the time associated with each, you will do great.  It is normal to be a little freaked about a new distance, but when you have finished the race, you will look back and say, "that wasn't so bad, when is the next one?" 
2007-07-12 9:05 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
jschmitchicago - 2007-07-11 3:21 PM

I've been focusing on training for the Spirit of Racine Half-Ironman for about six months now and feeling pretty confident in my progress. Now that the race is about 10 days away, I'm totally wigged out. No excitement whatsoever, just complete fear. We did an Olympic in Grand Haven, Mich, this past weekend that was supposed to be our tune-up race and give me confidence for the HIM, but the conditions were really tough and I had such a bad day that it's done completely the opposite. Made me question whether I am totally insane for attempting a half-ironman my second year of triathlons. I have never, ever feared stepping up in distance. I went from zero running base to a marathon in a year. Went from my first sprint to an Olympic my first tri season. I usually love to go long. But after last weekend, I just can't seem to get over this mental block that I'm not prepared for the race. Especially the swim. Is this normal? Am I just nuts? How do I get over this? HELP!

I'm in the same boat as you. I did my first marathon, ever, this year. Now I'm doing the Spirit of Racine, my first 1/2 IM, AND first Tri, ever. I'll be there with butterflies in my stomach trying to figure out the swim, wondering if I'm over-exerting myself on the bike, and then praying I don't cramp terribly on the run.

Good luck to you and maybe we'll see you there.

Good luck to all next weekend!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First HIM - Having Major Doubts! Rss Feed