General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me decide! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-12 12:48 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Subject: Help me decide!
I could do a sprint on Saturday--my first with an open water swim tri. I missed my planned sprint last weekend due to a death in the family and a funeral. I was very excited about doing that race and was not anxious about it--I was looking forward to it!

The race will be the first time I have done an open water swim this year. No wetsuits are allowed. I am not the strongest swimmer. Totally strange race venue, no opportunity to ride the bike route or swim in the duck pond.

I am about as committed as Goldilocks--too hot, too cold, too soft........blah, blah, blah.

I have two other planned tris this year. Should I look for a tri later this month and get some OWS practice in first?

Calgon, take me away, I need your help!

2007-07-12 12:59 PM
in reply to: #883178

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Help me decide!

Here's an idea....

You could do this race as OWS/bike/run PRACTICE for another race later in the season! Laughing

Actually, it's the perfect venue to try OWS... it will simulate race day conditions perfectly, because it's a RACE! And you will be THAT MUCH more prepared for your NEXT race.

Wetsuit isn't that big of a deal. We swam this AM without wetsuits. The water was warm. With the summer we've been having, I'd imagine lots of lakes are pretty darn warm! Nothing worse than being hot as you're wrapped in a tight rubber suit. YUCK!

Plus, your T1 will be faster!

I have all kinds of faith in you, Lori. You can do it. Treat it as a practice. Do your own thing. If you get spooked, roll over on your back. You will be just fine. I know you are capable of hammering that bike and turning in a nice run split. I say go for it.

2007-07-12 3:50 PM
in reply to: #883178

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: Help me decide!
Exactly - do it as a trial run for your races later in the summer.  Good luck!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me decide! Rss Feed