General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Planning a seasons trainning with Triathletes trainning bible - Problem Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-30 9:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
Subject: Planning a seasons trainning with Triathletes trainning bible - Problem
hi everyone i am planning my years trainning and have a problem i understand how joe friel's planning works but i have started prep now and so will be moving onto base1 soon, that is all fine BUT i have a race that is A priority for me at the end of january as it is only a run race, now this means i cannot have time to put in the suggested base 1,2,3 and build 1,2 and peak. then the next A race is not until the tri season is in full swing so that would work fine if i was going from that race only...

therefore what should i do:

a) only have prep and base 1-2-3-peak-up to the race then a little more base then build 1,2 as normal
b) have a periods for swim and bike and one for run
c) something else

i am leaning towards the first one i must say as it will be an endurance cross coutry race lasting for around 2hrs (toughguy it is called - see my races if u think it just sounds weird

any advice would be great

cheers

andy

2004-09-30 1:00 PM
in reply to: #68025

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Planning a seasons trainning with Triathletes trainning bible - Problem
I'm in the process of doing the same thing, so I'm interested to see where this thread goes... I would look at your current abilities and what you feel are you limiters. The end of January is about 17 weeks from now. Going with max weeks in each period puts you at 23 weeks (starting with base 1). So, you have 6 weeks of overlap. You could take a week from each of the build and base periods and then take another week from base 1, 2 or 3... Just a thought. I don't have the book with me at work, but I think he has some little blurbs on what you can do with some of the periods to make them fit your needs.

-Frank
2004-10-01 12:32 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Planning a seasons trainning with Triathletes trainning bible - Problem
I think that what I would do is keep all swimming and biking at base level and just focus on the quality/speed workouts for running only, as your race is a running race.

It seems to me that since your race is not a triathlon, you should focus on the actual activity you'll be doing during the race - afterwards, go back to wherever you should be in your prep for your triathlons.
2004-10-01 12:47 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

assuming your starting base 1 next week and your 'A run race is last weekend in january, that leaves u 17 weeks to train of the perfect 23.  we need to axe 6 weeks.

its and A race - u must peak.  thats undisputable.  and especially if you havent covered the volume yet then:

1. axe build 1. - that leaves u with 19 weeks - (the builds serve to maintain performance mid season - your still need to establish the base im assuming?)  we need to get rid of 2 more weeks.
  2. you shouldnt trim any of the two weeks off for your final 'peak' weeks for 'A' races SOOOOO
  3. axe one week from the first two base periods (like the first week)  THAT BRINGS YOU TO 17 WEEKS - PERFECT.

OR 

1. you can get rid of  build 2 completely.
  2. get rid of half of build 1 (first two weeks) leaving you with with 17 weeks to train

imho,

• the first option will give you a little catch-up and rest phase before race day - will kinda solidify the gains u made in the base phases - assuming moving up in volume during the base weeks was no problem as you got rid of two of these weeks.. 
  • the second option of axing more build weeks and keeping more base weeks would be if your really new to these distances and you need as many base weeks as u can get - its your call - and its a close call, both will serve u well enough.  u alone know your weaknesses better than me so i will let you decide.

*between races (if close enough and not going up in volume to meet the bigger distance challenges), one axes the base distances as you have already covered the max volume needed so only need to maintain...this is why i chose the above options as i think your still needing to get those max volumes in.  (if im wrong and u have recently covered the max base volumes within a month at the most, then do opposite of what i said and get rid of base phases)

*focus mostly on the running events - assuming its mostly running.  u can lazily do some short(er) biking and swimming training to stay in touch with those muscles and movements - plus its good crosstraining....remember, its your 'A' race and mostly cross-country.

i hope this is clear as mud.

2004-10-01 9:55 AM
in reply to: #68374

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
ok cool sounds good i like the sound of the first option of 1-2-3 so basically axe build 1 and take one week off base 1 and 2 (should i keep in the recovery weeks on those or shift them so i only have 1?) and do u think keep all the amounts the same, or slightly up the running, its A priority so i guess up the running amount from Base1 onwards , maybe from 3 to 4 sessions a week keeping swimming and bike at 3 and gym at 2...sound about right?

also do u think then that everything should enter build together or just the run? i guess its best to keep them constant, but i take it that when it gets to peak its going to be very run focused

thanks

andy
2004-10-01 8:47 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Catharines, Ontario
I am goint to try something new this year. I have taken some time of training because of unbelievable work stress over the last 6-8 weeks. I am going to start running big miles one week and go for a more balanced triathlon training program the next week. I haven't picked my races yet but I want to do a lot of mountain bike races. This year it was Ironman Germany and that was it because of injuries and work. I really want to get in a lot of racing next year so I need to start building a good base. The more you want to race the more of that easy milege you need in the winter.
I think it is a good idea to run and swim more in the winter, bike more in the spring, the pre-season for triathlon, and have a balanced lower milege higher quality program during the race season. One thing I know for sure is that it is not a straight line. If those two races are your only goals and not a whole season of races maybe you should treat training for each race as a season. Focus the running now for January. After the race back off a bit and then rebuild for your big race in June or July.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Planning a seasons trainning with Triathletes trainning bible - Problem Rss Feed