General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Craziest Workout Stories Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-07-19 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
Subject: Craziest Workout Stories
I was travelling this week for business on Monday night and last night. I had to get my run in at a Marriot hotel exercise room at 11pm on Monday. The room actually closed at 10, a maintenance guy came in and asked me to leave. I explained that I was training for a tri (between breaths ) and he was very cool and said, "you better keep going then buddy, just turn out the lights." I was coming up in the elevator and these two drunk businessmen looked at me like I was nuts...it actually gave me a lot of pride to suck down a 5 miler at 11 instead of 5 drinks like these yeahoos.

I came home last night from the trip and did a quick swim at my club at 10pm. Believe it or not, I was not the only one in the pool, and the other guy was training for a big open water race.

How far have you gone to get in your workouts???

2007-07-19 1:56 PM
in reply to: #893042

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Craziest Workout Stories
Long run at 5am with -5 degree temp. Bitter.
2007-07-19 2:03 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
On a business trip in Vegas last year...I'm headed out the door at 6 am while most people on the strip are stumbling home from previous night. On the way out of the hotel, I pass 4 drunk guys who turn around and start to jog next to me. "This is so cool that you are running this early, can we take a picture with you?" I say "no", but the 3 guys get on either side of me and their buddy takes our picture with his cell phone. They say, "thanks" and head back in the opposite direction. I continue on and see 3 heavy women walking who have just gotten off work. They yell, "nice legs! How did you get those?" So I stop and tell them I am training for a tri and they say, "there's no way you live here. To do all of those things you would die in this weather". They explain to me that as a group they have been trying to walk a few days a week after work to get in shape. I tell them to keep at it and continue on my run. I pass them again on my way back and this time they are jogging! They yell to me, "you've inspired us!"

Ahhh vegas, no place in the world like it
Abbie
2007-07-19 2:37 PM

Veteran
Ontario

haha nice stories!

The craziest thing I have done was a 5k race at 7am, in -7degree weather, 40km/h winds, enough snow to call it a blizzard, on my birthday, annnd it was my first race of my life.

I figured it can only get better from there :D 

2007-07-19 2:42 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

3 hour trail run in a sleet storm

1.5 hours Stair running in a hotel in the arctic (40 below outside)

2007-07-19 2:45 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado
Last winter, during the second of our blizzards (seriously, there was about 6' of snow on the ground at the end of this storm), I drove the ~15 miles to 24 Hour Fitness, and ran 3 hours on a treadmill, because it was my longest run in prep for my first marathon.  JuliaPurr drove a lot further to run next to me for 2 of those hours--God bless her!

2007-07-19 2:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
I love it...we have the opposite problem here. I bricked a couple of weeks ago to punish myself for missing workouts to play golf -- it was 109. Hey at least its a dry heat.
2007-07-19 2:53 PM
in reply to: #893190

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

aggiecatcher - 2007-07-19 12:49 PM I love it...we have the opposite problem here. I bricked a couple of weeks ago to punish myself for missing workouts to play golf -- it was 109. Hey at least its a dry heat.

Judging from this, I'm guessing that your in Rocklin, CA.  My family is in Sacramento, so I know the area--Rocklin is beautiful!  But, compared to CO, that's no dry heat!

2007-07-19 3:09 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Fom my June 4, 2006 Training Log..3 weeks prior to IMCDA:

Holy snodgrass....you could not have scripted this ride for a movie. I have gone through every emotion in the book today, but the bottom line is, I almost got cheated out of my first century, and I improvised in a pretty funny way. If you have a minute, details of the ride are below.

Left the house at 6:30 a.m., excited about the last long training day, and my opportunity to finally knock out my first century ride.

The first 15 miles were uneventful, then as I was taking a sip of my perpetuem, I dropped the bottle and it skidded across the road. I've NEVER dropped a bottle before. Luckily, this one stayed shut so no problems.

Fast forward to mile 30....psssssst. Flat tire. Pulled over, flipped the bike...hmmm, bike won't stay upright when flipped now that I have aerobars. Found a tree to lean the bike against and got the tire changed. Onward and upward. (Although I'm now wondering what I'll do if I flat at IMCDA and there isn't a tree handy.)

Mile 40ish....psssssssst. Second flat...are you kidding me?? Found another tree, flipped the bike, checked the tire and rim VERY carefully for debris and changed the flat. No more tubes on the bike, so hoping this is the last flat. As I'm ready to take off again, a cute little dog walks up so I pet it and head on my way...with the dog chasing me for 1/2 mile. Ugh.

Mile 55ish, I am taking a sip of my perpetuem, and you guessed it...dropped the stupid bottle AGAIN. Never done it before, and today, I drop it twice.

This time the bottle slowly rolled into traffic. The car that was behind me stopped so I could get my bottle (thank you, sir) and the other cars behind him start honking at me. Jerks. Got my bottle and headed on my way.

Somewhere between mile 65 and 70 a snake shoots out of the grass to my right and into the bike lane...I am in the aerobars and almost eat concrete trying to avoid the snake...I ran over him. Sorry, snake.

Mile 72....pssssst. Flat number 3. By now, I'm ready to kill someone. No more tubes with me, so I call the wife at home and ask her if she can look where I keep my bike gear and see if by dumb luck, I've got an extra tube...lo and behold I DO!! I'm 3 miles from the house, so she says she'll bring the tube to me. FORTY FIVE MINUTES LATER, my wife drives up.

In my most polite voice possible at this moment, I ask her "honey, why did it take you 45 minutes to go three miles?" Her response "Oh! I wanted to get the kids cleaned up and dressed so we could go shopping after bringing your tube to you. I though you wouldn't mind the extra rest time." **sigh** I won't even tell you what went through my mind at this point.

As I'm changing the 3rd flat, with my wife and kids watching, I hear...pssssssss, then BOOM! Blew up the tube. So now I'm out of tubes so I put the bike in the car and we head to a local sporting goods store to see if they have a tube (bike shop is closed on Sunday). No tubes, so we head home. At this point I'm pretty bummed because I want to finish my ride and know I can't.

As I'm taking off my helmet and gloves at home, I remember that my tri bike (which I recently sold) had a saddle bag on it, and the bag was in my closet. Is it possible I left an extra tube in the bag? HALLELUJAH!! One more tube. I carefully change the tire again, refill the water bottles, and head back out. Completely uneventful ride for 20 more miles (except I'm hot, tired, and a little grumpy).

Then, at mile 95 my bike suddenly fish-tails? What the....? Flat number 4, only this time there is a big cut in the tire as well. Tire is shot, so that will be an added expense tomorrow (along with 4 new spare tubes).

I'm obviously done at this point, but I'm still 5 miles from home. Call the wife again so she can pick me up...she's at the grocery store, but "she'll come get me as soon as she can." So I lay down in the grass and call my coach. I get his voice mail, and leave a message asking him if he is willing to come to Brownsville and shoot me...I've just been cheated out of my first century ride by FIVE freaking miles.

Wife shows up reasonably quickly, and we head home...I am so mad that I actually just started laughing. What else can you do? Then, the little hamster in my brain started spinning his little wheel...I had an idea.

We got home, I unloaded the crippled bike, quickly filled my Camelbak, changed out of my bike shorts and into casual shorts and a T-shirt, took the bike shoes off and put tennis shoes on, and put the Camelbak and my Garmin on as my wife said "What are you doing?" I told her "I'm not getting cheated out of my first century ride...I'm taking the Electra out for the last 5 miles." In disbelief, she gave me a kiss and told me to be careful.

I rode the Electra "Straight Eight" 3-speed cruiser, with 4 inch wide tires, for 6.25 miles. It took 26 minutes. I can't even imagine how silly I looked hammering away on an Electra, but I was determined to get my century ride in and maintain a decent average MPH...and I did.

Today taught me how to deal with all kinds of crazy stuff on the bike. If all of this happens in Coeur d'Alene, I will miss the bike cut-off, because I'm not taking the Electra with me!

I can't imagine anyone in the world having this kind of luck twice in one month, so I'm glad I got it out of my system today.

Bottom line...101.4 miles (in 10 hours total clock time, although only 6:20 in the saddle), and......

I MADE IT THROUGH IRONMAN TRAINING! 

2007-07-19 3:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
Running in Rocklin, CA during summer is a bit like running on foothills...on the SUN!!!

I'm sorry, but after 4 flats in one ride..I might be worried about being struck by lightning or eaten by a shark (no OWS's in the ocean for me).

2007-07-19 3:29 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Just a few weeks ago, I had a training swim in the lush 'see and be seen' pool at the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas - complete with goggles.  My wife wanted to die of embarrassment (she is not a triathlete and is usually quite tolerant of my tri-related ideosyncrasies).  In my defense, I DIDN'T wear a wetsuit, and I was in the middle of a swim yardage challenge with a group of other BTers from AZ (I know - lame defense)... 

2007-07-19 3:36 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Since is craziest training, and not Craziest Tri Training, mine would be back in my days of heavy lifting in a ‘clean’ attempt to hit bodybuilder size.  I was a leg training freak.  Loved it.  I don’t recall the exact workout but it was probably along the lines of a 20 rep leg press, 20 rep leg extension, 20 rep squat with no rest between sets and all sets to the intensity point where the 20th rep of each was the last possible.  Anyway, after that superset I got light headed and queasy so I went into the locker room to lie down on a bench.  Pulled a garbage can close and eventually did a series of dry heaves as people are walking in and out.  After that, had people asking if I was okay.  “Yup, just an intense leg training day.”  Then I got up, put my shirt back on, looked at then and said, “Now it’s time to go finish the workout.”  They looked at me like I had a third eye.  LOVE IT.

So far no weird, wild, or wacky tri training stories.

2007-07-19 3:37 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
My only claims to fame:

One Saturday I had to get in a 60 mile ride in prep for my HIM in October. It was pouring down rain outside, and I don't do rain. So, I headed to the gym and I did 3 back-to-back 1-hour spin classes. With time inbetween the classes, I got in 3.25 hours on the spin bike.

Then, not wanting to cheat myself out of the miles... and I figured 4 hours would = 60 miles... I headed over the stationary bikes and did 45 more minutes.

I got in my 4 hours of riding and never went outdoors. HA!

Otherwise... I have done up to 8 miles on a treadmill... although I know others have done up to 26 miles (I did a poll on here once)... so that's not really amazing.
2007-07-19 3:48 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

Mine would have to be when I went out for a 2 hour ride in the winter when it was freezing and starting to snow.  This would have been OK but I had only had the bike for a couple of months and had only bought the bare minimum of clothing - a short sleeved jersey, shorts and fingerless gloves.  Anyway after about an hour and a half my fingers had gone completely numb so each time I wanted to change gear I had to actually look down at my hand to see if my finger was on the shifter.  Breaking was not the easies thing to do either!  This wasn't too bad I suppose - but my hands hurt like hell when I took a warm shower once I'd got back.

2007-07-19 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran
i ran over a dog on my bike on my last training ride. just 2 mile out and i heard a truck behind me goin my speed. i kept waiting for it to pass me, i looked back then i see this dog right on my left heel between me and the truck. it was goin for the bite and it saw the truck and ran under my rear tire. luckily i stood up just in time and got my weight offf the tire and didnt wreck. everyone in the truck turned around to watch and see what happend. it was pretty fun and exciting.
2007-07-19 4:13 PM

User image

Master
New York
My longest swim for IMAZ was about 7000m. I planned on it taking a little over 3hrs, which it did (it was broken up, lots of 800 repeats). I got through 5500m and stopped. I was cooked, both mentally and physically. There was absolutely no way I was going to keep swimming. So I rationalized in my head by switching up my other swims to include 1500m extra. I got out of the pool, showered, and was putting my clothes on in the locker room. I sat down after pulling on my jeans, sans shirt. After about 5 minutes, I got angry with myself. So I took off my clothes, put my soaking wet jammers back on, and went back to the pool. Those last 1500m were some of the most painful of my life.

I drove home after finishing, looking forward to a relaxing, hot shower. As soon as the water hit me, I promptly threw up. I could not stand the feeling of being wet, and didn't shower the next day either for the same reason.

After I finished throwing up (at about 8:30p), I ate dinner. I ate dinner until I went to bed - 4 tilapia fillets, 2lbs of mixed steamed vegetables, 3 cups of whole grain rice, and 1/4 of a store bought sheetcake.

2007-07-19 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Valencia, Califonia
I am a pilot and on a layover in Honolulu new years day 2006 I got up around 6a.m. california time which was 4 am Honolulu time and went out for a 5 mile run. Thousands of people still up from the new years eve celebrations. With my gps on I could run anywhere so I just went from flashing lights on police car to ambulance to police car etc. I passed about 5 DUI'S in progress, 1 guy that was throwing up in a trash can outside of Mc Donalds, and got several snide remarks thrown my way from people who thought I was out of my mind. Finished the run but that was about as weird as it gets for me.
2007-07-19 9:54 PM

User image

Expert
WV

We had weekly double moon 8K tempo runs (aka moonlight naked runs...nothing but shoes boys)  my last year in college on the local backroads in IA.  It started as a dare between the men's and women's teams during the second week of the season.  At the weekend's XC meet, the women won and the men placed 3rd.  Highest finishes for both teams.  It became a ritual every Thursday night after that.  The women's team success continued.  We never finished lower than 3rd that year in XC.  However, it got a little chilly towards the end of XC season into the indoor track season.

2007-07-20 2:26 AM

User image

Melon Presser

That century-of-the-century story had me in tears. Way to persevere! I almost thought you would have to finish it on one of your kid's trikes, probably the kind with sparkly streamers from the handlebars .

I signed up for a half-mary as a long training run. Had flu the week before, but figured it was a good taper (I'm an idiot. I know). All's well on the day and I feel okay, nice and easy with fellow BOPers since for training and tiredness I need to go slow. We spread out a great deal. There is a nagging light rain.

All of a sudden I am nearly trampled by a horde of elfin runners ... ah yes, the 10K course overlaps the half-mary. I trot along slowly on the edges, although unfortunately I picked the side that the 10K markers were on, not the half-mary, so I was a little fuzzy on distance.

Roundabout I guess mile 10 for me, as I'm looking forward to a cool-down finish soon, I am nearly back at the stadium where all the runs end ... but wait! That's way too soon! I have another three miles to go--in the hills, on trails!

I am looking around confusedly for yellow bibs (marking half-mary runners) and every single person has baby blue ... I start getting this sinking feeling, realizing that I've followed the 10Kers on their course. Right then I spot two yellow bibs toddling along and I rush up to them, incredibly grateful.

The two senior ladies were a little taken aback at this rather wide apparition charging at them the wrong way on a race course, but took it in stride. They were very sweet and I asked them how far they had gone. "Oh, we just passed the four-mile mark!" said one. "We're walkers, you know!"

It dawned on me that I had literally taken a six-mile loop off course and wound up nearly right back where I had gone off it with the 10Kers at mile four.

Right then a course photographer popped out into the middle of the path, "SMILE, EVERYONE!!!" So I have this great photo of me with WTF?!?! written all over my face and two sweet beaming old ladies on either side.

So I figure, what the hell. I'll walk with the geriettes and finish this damn race. I want my medal and by golly I will have more than earned it!

I waddle along, looking like Daffy Duck, fuming and sputtering. They chattered the next six miles away and it was a nice diversion from my resentments.

And then we hit the hills.

As I said, it had been raining all day ... and a few hundred half-maryers had trodden the trails down into a slick, muddy mess. I don't know what lit a fire under those old ladies' butts, or whether they were just the right size to glide over the mud surface tension, but they left me in the mud--literally. There were only two ways for me to progress over the hills: either Speedy-Gonzales it up so that as I slipped, at least the turnover was fast enough to slip forward, or, do horse-stomping moves where I stick one hoof into the mud, suck the other back up out of the mud with great effort, repeat. I do a combo of both as energy permits--ZOOOM plonk plonk plonk plonk ZOOOOOOM plonk plonk.

And then there was downhill. Slide down on the butt or surf with the feet? I opted for surfing, since I at best I might stay a bit cleaner and warmer, and worst case I'd just land on my butt anyway.

I wish I had video of that day.

So I finally make it through the hills, and back onto surface streets for less than half a mile to the finish. Problem is ... by now, all the race signs are gone, and I have no idea where I am. Also, on country roads ... not a lot of town signs either. So I head in the vague direction I think the stadium is until I come upon a house, and I just knock on the door. I can only imagine what they thought of this stinky, muddy vagrant (except please DO NOT come in!) ... they were so nice and gave me a drink of juice (thank you! no aid stations! dying of thirst by then!) and hesitantly offered me a ride, but no thanks, I have come this far and I am going to crawl into that stadium if I have to ... but they gave me good directions. So I amble, heavyfooted with caked mud, off to the stadium.

At a crossroads I come upon a slight girl, crying, and talking into a cell phone. She's wearing a yellow bib. "I can't tell you where I am, I'm LOST I TOLD YOU!" she sobbed into the phone. I pointed to my bib and hers, and she nodded and spoke to the receiver: "Well someone's here now, maybe she can help." She hung up and we started walking and talking. She had had terrible leg cramps and had gotten lost, and though her friend had offered to pick her up, she would rather just finish.

So we bopped along (BO-BOPped, to be exact ... or so I thought) when we came along two boys, one limping and the other helping him along. Here we were, the merry bunch of gimped DFLs, up a yellow brick road. The girl I had found called her friend back and told her to reserve four medals.

As we straggled into the stadium, I still had it in me to run the lap to the finish. The others dragged themselves across the line ... and there was the friend, beaming, holding out our lovely medals, very, very well-earned.

I may have been near DFL, but I ran farther than anyone else that day ... and got a medal, some new friends, and a nice 19-miler PR to boot.

2007-07-20 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

That's a great race report - perhaps one of my favorite ever!

Barlo-style at it's best.

2007-07-20 12:30 PM
in reply to: #893268

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
OldAg92 - 2007-07-19 3:09 PM

Fom my June 4, 2006 Training Log..3 weeks prior to IMCDA:

That's a great story.  That's the kind of perserverance that makes a great endurance athlete.

Or psycho - either one works.

2007-07-20 1:11 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

2003 -  I'm headed to China...16 hours. Spent the first 4 hours of the flight plowed, the next 12 doing work. Arrive at hotel in China at 11:45PM.  Brain is tired, body is not....

So in the dead of night, in China, no idea where I'm going, no map, not knowing whether if you violate curfew you'll be arrested, no clue as to the good / bad neighborhoods, no phone, no money, not speaking a word of the language, I head out for a 10-miler in Shanghai. I had the most fantastic run down back alleys, along riverbanks, and on 10-lane wide grand boulevards that had ZERO, and I mean ZERO cars, bicycles, or people on them.

Certainly the riskiest, most surreal, and coolest one I've done.  Every once in a while it's good to take a risk. Helps you remember you're alive.

2007-07-20 5:41 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
LOVED the century story! LOL.

Heres mine.. a fun yet miserable experience that I now plan on doing every year.
The race I entered was the 2006 Wild Scallion Urban Adventure Race. This race originally started as a 24hour endurance race called the Wild Onion, but several years back there were some trajedies that occurred and they have since scaled back the race to be under 12 hours. For those of you unfamiliar with Urban Adventure racing, it is similar to what you may have seen on "The Amazing Race" or "Road Rules." This is a somewhat less glamorous version, but nonetheless, still exciting

Each team consisted of 3 individuals, whom must remain together at all times during the race. Checkpoints can not be completed individually. The day started Saturday Morning at the old Meigs Field in Chicago. We set up all our gear, which consisted of mountain bikes, several pairs of running shoes, enough food to last a whole day, hydration packs, rollerblades, and safety gear. At this point, no rain… yet.

After setting up our gear, we proceeded to check in where we are given maps. The maps are unmarked, and we are given locations of certain things we must find, called checkpoints. Each checkpoint must be completed in order, and ALL must be completed in order to finish the race. We plotted out our lines on the race maps for about an hour, and chenged clothes into what we needed for the first leg of the race…..

Leg One: The first portion of the race started out on foot. We ran up Northerly Island and then through downtown Chicago, about 3mi, finally ending up at the foot of the Sears Tower. We arrived to a cheering crowd and stepped inside the Tower and started up the stairs. We climbed, and climbed, and finally after 103 Floors, and 2109 stairs we arrived at the top of the Sears Tower. Visibility was ZERO at the top, due to the impending thunderstorms. We had our scorcard punched, and we started running back down all the stairs. Manueverning through 450 racers in the narrow stairway is a trick in itself, but we finally made our way back out the door and headed to the next checkpoint. We ran another 3mi and ended up at the lakefront where we ran through the lake, checking buoys to retreive a word "TEAM" we had to relay back to the organizers to validate our check card. We climbed through some rocky terrain, and ran back a short distance to our transition area where we stored our gear.

Leg Two: So much for a dry day…. We strapped on our rain gear, and our hydration packs and started out on our mountain bikes. The RAIN began. It is now 60 degrees and a HEAVY rain. We made it about 1mi before a teammate got a flat tire. Changing a flat in a torential downpour is never fun, but we were able to get it done, and get back on the road. We rode 20mi through the streets if Chicago finally ending up at a Nature preserve in Schiller Park where we received another map and clues. We navigated through the woods on foot with a compass to track down 8 checkpoints. This trail run was about 3 miles of pure mud. The flooding caused them to remove the trail mountain biking portion, and instead they sent us on another 10mi through the city to another checkpoint. The streets of Chicago were flooding, and we rode through portions of the roads with 6" of water. We were soaked, and COLD. We started back to the transition area after hitting the final 3 checkpoints. The total amount of biking was about 40mi broken up by the 3mi trail run.

Leg Three: Its still pouring rain. We have been going for 7.5 hours. This portion of the race is called the Triad. One runs, one rides a push scooter, and one rollerblades. There are 8 more checkpoints before the finish. It is gettting dark, and colder. We head out. I start out on the skates, but our runner is having trouble, so I finished out the race on foot. At least the rain has now stopped! I skated 2 mi, and ran another 6. We ran from the South side, all the way to the North side, stopping only to write down answers to the questions asked about each chekpoint. We finally made it to the finsh… in total 10 Hours.

Luckily, they had a bus to get us back. About 50 of us racers hopped in the bus, and headed back to the dark transition area. The worst part was, after all this excersize we had to pack up our gear. Unfortunately, the car had to remain .25mi from the gear. We dragged everything back and headed home! We started out on foot at 11am, finished the race at 9pm, and gear was packed into a car by 11pm. All in all…. A successful weekend.

Totals:
14mi run
40mi bike
2109 stairs
2 miles skating
Time - 10hrs 5min.

Edited by ranger5oh 2007-07-20 5:42 PM
2007-07-20 6:36 PM
in reply to: #893359

Veteran
tupuppy - 2007-07-19 3:36 PM

Since is craziest training, and not Craziest Tri Training, mine would be back in my days of heavy lifting in a ‘clean’ attempt to hit bodybuilder size.  I was a leg training freak.  Loved it.  I don’t recall the exact workout but it was probably along the lines of a 20 rep leg press, 20 rep leg extension, 20 rep squat with no rest between sets and all sets to the intensity point where the 20th rep of each was the last possible.  Anyway, after that superset I got light headed and queasy so I went into the locker room to lie down on a bench.  Pulled a garbage can close and eventually did a series of dry heaves as people are walking in and out.  After that, had people asking if I was okay.  “Yup, just an intense leg training day.”  Then I got up, put my shirt back on, looked at then and said, “Now it’s time to go finish the workout.”  They looked at me like I had a third eye.  LOVE IT.

So far no weird, wild, or wacky tri training stories.

If you didn't puke, you really didn't lift hard enough.
2007-07-20 6:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
Okay...weight lifting story. When I too was trying to get HUGE, I used to meet my steriod ingesting partner for nasty leg workouts. We squatted very heavy. He used to call me and say today is going to be sick so get ready -- at 3:30 in the pm. I would take two thermadrine (an ephedra pill), and go nuts. We used to call it "setting off the alarm" when a guy booted during a leg workout because the shortest route to relief was out a fire door.

My turn to set off the alarm came on our heaviest day yet, squatted 5 sets of 3 with well over 400 lbs on the bar (knees wrapped, belted tight, armpit spot, you know the works). My partner and the other meatheads were pumping me up yelling, and I went for it. I finished my last set with about 450 on the bar. The three monsters watching were giving me high-fives, then I saw the most minute details in the air (including the chalk dust) as the room started to bend in odd shapes. I "set off the alarm", the whole gym turned to see me blow my lunch in the window. I don't think I have ever been prouder...after I had a breath mint. I jumped on the leg press and we went for it some more.

God was I stupid...no wonder my knees are so screwed up.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Craziest Workout Stories Rss Feed  

of 2