General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Craziest Workout Stories Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-07-20 6:56 PM
in reply to: #893042

User image

Woodland Park, CO
Subject: RE: Craziest Workout Stories
I realize this is a let down after all the great stories - this is my first year, man... These are my creative training stories with two kids under 6.

I have a hard time getting to a pool, I live in a mountain community with none. So, I drive to the nearest pool in a city of which we are a suburb (about 20 miles one way). I actually arranged my 5 year old's swim lessons at this pool because I like to swim there. She has swim lessons twice a week and I am the ONLY adult in the pool doing laps (they are really not open for lap swim to the general public). I do my swim workout during her lessons - and have a special arrangement with pool mgmt to do so. The other parents probably think I'm abusive for not actually watching my daughter, but I am busy swimming during her lesson. It is the best I can do!! I try to watch her when I'm breathing in the direction of her class...

Also, I have another daughter - almost 2 years old. Several times during the week, my 5 year old would be in preschool, but I would have the youngest. So, I decided to buy one of those seats for kids that install onto your bike (you know, it sits right behind your seat). My husband attached it to my mtn bike, and, in a pinch, I can train with my youngest. Just to add drama, he has been VERY vocal about how I should not be in clipless pedals with her on the bike - just in case I fall, it could spell disaster for the baby. I insist on it, after all, it will not be as good for my training, right?!?

One day I decided to go for a ride with her in tow. We live in a hilly, mountainous area, and we live on a particularly steep hill. After riding 12 miles with her, we were stopped at a stoplight after climbing one of the steady hills leading to our house. I have to turn, and at a dead stop (while waiting at a red light), I do so. Unfortunately, I left one foot clipped in and lost my balance. We both go tumbling to the cement sidewalk, and thank God she had a helmet on!! We went down and I tried as best as I could to break the fall with my body. She hit her head, but with the helmet to cemet, so no harm done. She was scared and I was very bloody and bruised. Niiiice. I later had to explain to my husband. Sadly, I still felt good about the ride - at least I had some bruises to show for it!!

2007-07-20 10:14 PM
in reply to: #893042

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Subject: RE: Craziest Workout Stories
Ag, that story isn't complete without the picture of Electra!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Craziest Workout Stories Rss Feed  

of 2