Tri-Mania
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 44m 45s
Overall Rank = 59/124
Age Group = 25 - 29
Age Group Rank = 9/11
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45. Ate a yoghurt and two muffins with some water on the way to the race. Picked up packed and set up my transition area. I was the first one in my row so I got the first spot. NICE.
Event warmup:

Not much warm up. It was chilly out side and the lake was 74 so I didn't want to warm up in the water b/c I would freeze between the warm up and the race start. I walked around a bit and hit the port-o a few times. Nasty.
Swim
  • 37m 49s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water felt pretty good because it was 10 degrees warmer than the air. We were the 4th wave. Most of us jumped in about 5 minutes before the start and just treaded water. I wasn't very nervous leading up to the start. When the horn went off I started swimming. WHOA!!!! Open water swimming is so much different than pool swimming. Where is my crystal clear water and neatly defined lanes?? Yeah, I knew it wouldn't be like that but that is still what I was used to. I really didn't kick or get kicked by anyone that much to my surprise but the first 5 minutes were very hectic. All of the swimmers around me and the dark water kinda freaked me out. The water was pretty rough at first just from the swimmers. Can I swim? Should I quit already? These thoughts were legitamately going through my head. Luckily after about 5 minutes, the crowd thinned as I assumed most people had swam ahead of me. I got into a rythum and found my stroke. Sighting the bouys was difficult because my googles kept fogging up. Damn, why didn't I just buy a new set of $12 googles. I was resting a bit about every 5 minutes (guessing) to clear my googles and catch my breath. Resting consisted of doing 5-10 strokes of the breast stroke. About 2/3 of the way through I got a pretty bad cramp in my side and was having trouble doing several stokes in a row without having to stop and get my breath. By that time, I was almost home and started just pushing through the pain.
What would you do differently?:

Do open water practice. More long distance practice.
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

Running up the ramp from the swim, I was very glad it was over, but my legs felt like Jello. Whoa, this is going to be a long race.... The transition went well. I put on my socks and bike shoes, ate a GU quikly and was off.

Nothing...
Bike
  • 1h 18m 9s
  • 24.86 miles
  • 19.08 mile/hr
Comments:

At the start of the bike, I was really surprised how tired my legs were from the swim. The were burning from the start. I spent a good 2-4 minutes trying to catch my breath (from the swim & transition) and trying to get my HR down. I passed a few people and was passed by a few at the beginning. The course was pretty straight after the first 4 miles on this country road. The road lines fields and was actually pretty pleasent. There were a bunch of rolling hills... nothing too steep but it did get annoying. Several people were passing me and my first though was, "maybe I didn't swim that slow after all." The last 1/4 of the course had many u-turns that I didn't care for. It broke up the pace. Towards the end I was getting pissed off when guys were passing me, but there was nothing I could do. I wasn't slacking, and my legs really wouldn't give me any more effort (I ws saving a bit for the run). Luckily it was still pretty cool, so my one bottle of gatorade and a GU packet halfway through was perfect for nutrition and hydration.

Train more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Good transition. No problems.
Run
  • 45m 25s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

The beginning of the run was difficult as expected. Legs felt heavy but not as bad as I thought they would. I settled into a nice pace trying to control my HR and breathing. I reach the 1st mile marker and my watch says 6:57... NO WAY, I ran that in under 7 minutes!!?? This must be a short course. I reach the second mile marker... 7:15. Whoa!!! I am really running fast. I was feeling great... passing people and really didn't feel like I was running all out. I kept the miles as about 7:30 until the final mile which I turned up and completed in 7:05. GREAT RUN!!!

Nothing. Best run I have ever had.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of water... walked around a bit happy it was over. Overall it was a great race. I wanted to get under 3 hours and really blew that goal out of the water. I am really glad that I didn't wear my HR strap (I wore the watch for lap times). I think that watching my HR shoot up would have made me pull back on my effort level. I just paid close attention to my breathing and how I was feeling to monitor my effort level.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not bad at all for my first Olympic distance triathlon. Swimming went ok considering the bad start. New googles would have helped. The biking segment was my weakest and can be improved significantly with some more training. Had I shaved 8 minutes off of my bike time, I would have placed in the top half of my age group. Running went awesome... all the speedwork that I did at the track really paid off.

Event comments:

This was the 1st year they did this race. I like the course overall. The community that it was around was really nice. I didn't like all the uturns on the bike course, but perhaps they were neccessary. Post race food was poor... hummus, bagels, banannas, oranges (but I am spoiled from the fajita spread they had at the Tom Landry Triathlon)... Luckily they broke out the beer at noon.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-09-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:49 | 1500 meters | 02m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 0/124
Performance: Below average
Suit: Nope, but wetsuits were allowed
Course: 2 laps.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:58
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:09 | 24.86 miles | 19.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/11
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Lots of switchbacks, but a nice course overall.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:25 | 06.2 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/11
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loop course.. each 5k.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-10-04 8:03 AM

Subject: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon

2004-10-04 9:33 AM
in reply to: #69062

Veteran
Albury, Oz
Subject: RE: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon
Hell that is a fantastic run time. You should keep at it - to imporve on the bike and be a bit more prepared for the swim will mean huge improvements in your times and who knows???maybe some tin! Well done Dx
2004-10-04 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Congratulations Scott! I wish I could run like you! I had no idea there were any other BTer's there. I only did the sprint distance (just getting into these things, I'm moving up to olympics next season), but a couple of the guys from my team did the olympic.

Gina
2004-10-04 8:24 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Great race Scott! You rock. I can't believe you finished your 10K in 45 minutes. My turn to take some running and speed lessons from you!

2004-10-04 9:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winnipegosis
Simply amazing, Scott. Way to go!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon Rss Feed