General Discussion Race Reports! » Bank of Bermuda Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bank of Bermuda Foundation Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Bermuda
Bank of Bermuda
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 41s
Overall Rank = 23/70
Age Group = 30-09
Age Group Rank = 6/15
Event warmup:

Rode my bike to the event for a warm-up. I had a ton of nervous energy, so I rode the bike course 2x slowly (it was a 5 lap course).
Swim
  • 14m 51s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim took me by surprise. I wasn't thinking about strategy when the gun went off, so I swam like mad for the first 200M. I tried to get into a grove, but I couldn't do it. Once I knew I was off my normal pace, I decided to easy up and try to regroup. In doing so, I cheated myself a little bit, but since it was my first tri, I thought it was the right thing to do.
What would you do differently?:

Pace myself better and push myself a little more. In hindsight, much of the swim was mental and I wasn't prepared for that.
Transition 1
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

I had never practiced a transition and was a little unsure of myself. Given my lack of experience, it was a decent transition.

I would have trained without socks and done the whole tri with no socks. I also would have run and jumped on the bike.
Bike
  • 34m 50s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.67 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was a blast. I was only passed by 2 people (one who is an olympic triathlete) and passed many. I had a lot of ground to make up after a poor swim, but I was careful not to push too hard.

I would have pushed a little harder on the last lap and worked on mounting/dismounting the bike in training sessions.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

My transition off the bike was very poor. I got stuck in one pedal at the end and really slowed my time.

I would have run and jumped on the bike and worked at getting my feet out prior to coming into the transition area.
Run
  • 21m 29s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I took it easy on the run. I could have pushed harder at the end and significantly boosted my overall ranking.

I would do more brick routines in practice. I only did one real brick prior to this race and it was weeks ago.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training - started late and got sick in the final two weeks.

Event comments:

Overall I had a blast in this race. It was my first tri, so I am very pleased with my results. I started training for a tri about 8 weeks ago. Before that, I couldn't swim 100M without stopping and had a average run pace of 8min/mile. I did not train as much as I wanted to and paid for it during the swim and run. That said, I really enjoyed the whole experience and am excited to try again after a couple more months of solid training.

Last updated: 2004-10-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:51 | 800 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 34/70
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri suit only
Course: Triangle course. Start was in the water and you finished by climbing out on concrete steps.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:50 | 12 miles | 20.67 mile/hr
Overall: 18/70
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 5 lap course with many sharp turns. Wind was in your face on the longest stretch slowing all of the times.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:29 | 03 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Overall: 17/70
Performance: Average
Course: 3 lap course on the street.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2004-10-04 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
PA
Subject: Bank of Bermuda Foundation Triathlon

2004-10-04 8:13 PM
in reply to: #69286

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: Bank of Bermuda Foundation Triathlon
Wow, you gave yourself a hard time, even though you had a great race! Look at those times! There are lots of us here jealous of speeds like that! And it looks like you officially made it in the FOP! Great job Mike, you must have had some nasty competition out there!

Edited by jasmine 2004-10-04 8:13 PM
2004-10-05 6:41 AM
in reply to: #69289

User image

Veteran
PA
Subject: RE: Bank of Bermuda Foundation Triathlon
Thanks Jasmine! I guess I sounded more harsh in my post than I should have - I am really pleased with my overall performance, especially since the only true knowledge of the sport was through BT and watching the occasional race on TV. Competition was very tough at the top. The first place finisher did the whole course in 57min!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bank of Bermuda Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed