General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what's with all the technology? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-05 1:39 AM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia, PA
Subject: what's with all the technology?
Is it possible to train for a triathlon without all the 'stuff'? I just mean, I never saw Rocky use a heart rate monitor or talk about his V02 max. To me the science sort of takes the fun out of working out.

2004-10-05 5:34 AM
in reply to: #69349

Online or Offline
Subject: RE: what's with all the technology?
I don't train with all the technology. I go by Percieved Exertion but perhaps if I applied all the science, I could improve my times and have better recovery. On days I have to train on some piece of equipment (stationary bike or treadmill), and it has a HR monitor on it, I'll see what I got going on. My strap on loses its signal often and makes an annoying beep - so I do without it.

I don't know my VO2 max, don't know the highest I ever got my heart rate up to, but I do know when I can push harder or back off. I'm old school: breathless? Impending muscle failure? Back off! On easy training days, then I go easy. I'm worried more about technique in the water, even pedal strokes and cadence on the bike, and form when running.

Of course its possible to train without all the stuff. For me, it minimizes the analanalyticalness and I can just have fun and play. If I was an elite though, I'd definitely want to know those numbers.
2004-10-05 6:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
I train without all the "stuff" - just follow my body... BUT as I get further into this sport I am starting to become curious about everything to do with possible improvement and knowing More and More.
It's becoming a bit of an obsession :-)
YES - you can train without all the stuff - you will need a bike however
ALL the best!
M
2004-10-05 6:36 AM

Veteran
No gadgets?!? My husband would faint!!! He's not even training for anything....and he's the one picking up the "toys" for me.

Actually, I like the GPS. I like saying WOW I ran a mile and a half before I had to walk.....that sort of thing. It's like a game. I say do what's fun...when it starts to seem like work....then it's not worth it!

Keri
2004-10-05 7:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
you obviously never saw the final rocky file, went straight to video, 'Rocky 1000: V02 MAX...in the zone'

i think, yea you can train without the gumpf, but some of the gump helps, alot...you wouldn't say 'nah its ok i can get better without penacillin', alot of work has gone into developing good trainning techniques like periodisation and good trainning aids like HRM and cadence and speed monitors, aslong as you don't let them rule your life and remember things like HRM is only a guide to intesity for instance and perceived excertion is actually more accurate (according to Mr Friel), i think they can REALLY help

thats just my two pennies anyways
2004-10-05 7:45 AM

Online or Offline
Speaking of technology......I've been on here since July, and am just now getting into the groove of utilizing the online Training Log. I've found it so much more easier to just shorthand what I did on a paper calendar.

If anything, tracking my time spent on the graph is a little demotivating - some days I've noticed I've accumulated near 150 minutes of activity, and I'm not even training for anything right now! I need a life! Its a good thing that all I have to schedule my workouts around is work and CNN's Bill Hemmer.

2004-10-05 8:46 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Ummmmm, Rocky was FICTION!!!!!!!! (all of them)

and who said working out was supposed to be fun?

:-) :-) :-)

Seriously though, you can train with or without technology. But, HRM's and bike compuiters, take a lot of guesswork out of the process. And they give you objective measurements of performance and progress. Sure, you can train by feel, and if you have good genetics, you're going to beat a lot of folks who train with gadgets. On the other hand, if you are not blessed with genes and talent, technology can help you make the most out of what you have.

2004-10-05 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Keep in mind that all of this technological erata are "tools," not toys - even if we treat them like they are. They are data collection devices that give us a visual window into how we are doing. It's instant feedback as to how we are doing, what we need to be doing and what we need to do to get there. I have a basic bike computer and it's been indispensable in letting me know how I'm doing for avg speed, total distance, etc. I'm still debating whether or not to get a basic HRM or one of the more advanced ones that does all of the biking and running stuff. First and foremost, do I need any of it to meet my fitness goals? No. Being a "scientific type" that likes to pour through all of the data available in order to make the best informed decision about how I am doing and where I can go, do I want it? Yes. We are very fortunate in this day and age that "we mere mortals" have practically the same technology and information on how to use the available technology as the pros do. For me it comes down to "at what level do you want to play the game?" I can check my heart rate for 15 seconds and take another couple of seconds to do the math in my head - but do I want to do that every minute or two? Not really, so I only do it every 5 minutes or so. It's the "or so" that's the problem if you truly want to do the best you can. Keep in mind though, that an HRM isn't really the be-all-end-all of exercise data. It's just one part of it. In the end it really comes down to using the gear between your ears. Learn how to use that first. An HRM, GPS or Bike computer can't teach you how to sense or listen to your body or all of the instinctual stuff that your body will teach you by trial and error.

-Frank
2004-10-05 12:27 PM
in reply to: #69387

User image

Regular
Philadelphia, PA
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2004-10-05 8:46 AM

Not to me he wasn't
2004-10-05 1:11 PM
in reply to: #69496

Online or Offline
jayhoe - 2004-10-05 12:27 PM
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2004-10-05 8:46 AM

Not to me he wasn't

Wait a couple of months.....I hear Santa's giving out tri bikes to boys whose name begin with J!!

2004-10-05 1:21 PM
in reply to: #69514

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Wait a couple of months.....I hear Santa's giving out tri bikes to boys whose name begin with J!!

OOOoooOOO! I want a RED one

2004-10-05 1:59 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
To answer your question "Is it possible to train for a triathlon without all the stuff?" Of course it is. But would you drive a car without a speedometer? Would you want to save for retirement without knowing your balance or your rate of return?  You can do it, but by measuring and recording your results you can make improvements or changes that will help you hit your goals. To me, that makes it more fun! Good luck to you.
2004-10-05 4:02 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

I did my first two tris without much of anything for technology. I used a mapping program I already had to get distances, but that's it. You can totally do it without the technology, but you just may not be doing as well as you possibly could with an HRM and all that stuff.

I would say that if you're not into all the technology and it makes it less fun for you, don't get it. I think we're all doing this for fun, none of us are gonna make any money off it. So do it however you enjoy it most!

2004-10-05 4:12 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
When I decided to do a tri I had the same question, and decided I didn't need all the funky technical stuff. Now that I'm more into it. I'm starting to be more curious about things like heart rate training etc.

I also have to admit that I LOVE my GPS. I can run anywhere and know my pace and distance the whole time. And I use it during races to keep me on the pace I'm aiming for =)
2004-10-05 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
It is very doable to do a tri and do well as well w/o tech, especially if the event is a sprint, you can go all out and go with how you feel. This year was my first year for oly's and a 1/2 and I feel very strongly that for these events you do need some basic tech such as cadence and hrm to insure that you pace yourself. Sometimes on the bike I felt that I was spinning but in fact I was mashing and caught myself before I was worn out. Same with the run. Sometimes the differences in "exertion" for me are subtle and seeing the hrm kept me from running out of steam and run my own race instead of the guy/gal just ahead.
2004-10-05 7:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Aren't we in the 21st century??  technology has come a long way since running from Marathon to Athens.....

personally I couldn't do withough the HRM 'cause of the stroke I had, SO.... even some minor technology is favourable!!

2004-10-05 7:22 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I don't know what you would use a Heart Rate Monitor for. When it comes down to racing I see very few people hold back. I can tell by the beating in my chest if I'm pushing it too hard otherwise I have never seen a need for a HRM. I like the GPS on the watch. For training purposes if your running on a trail and you cannot measure the distance with convential means it is very handy. A computer on the bike is nice so that you know your speed for certain workouts. Could you do a tri without all of the gadgets sure but some can be helpful for training purposes.

Mike
2004-10-05 8:04 PM
in reply to: #69633

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Sounds like you don't do many longer distance events. You can't "tell by the beating in my chest if I'm pushing it too hard," you need to know where your lactate threshhold is via your heart rate, and stay at or below that threshhold. If you get above, you are burning 17 times as much fuel, and headed for a bonk.
2004-10-05 10:14 PM
in reply to: #69643

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

the bear - 2004-10-05 8:04 PM Sounds like you don't do many longer distance events. You can't "tell by the beating in my chest if I'm pushing it too hard," you need to know where your lactate threshhold is via your heart rate, and stay at or below that threshhold. If you get above, you are burning 17 times as much fuel, and headed for a bonk.

Bear, would you kindly point me to some additional references for information regarding your point above?

2004-10-05 11:06 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Bear, I hate to do it but I have to disagree.  I successfully trained for a 1/2 IM this past summer, got within a whisper of my goal time, and the most "technological" piece of equipment I own is the (cadence-less) computer on my bike.

And my computer-link to BT, that is.

2004-10-05 11:55 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
I'm with most here on the board....

first couple tris I just flew by the seat of my pants...running shoes, bike, swimsuit and I was off....but after every one I got a bit more curious.......

my most recent purchase....Polar S625X....ooooooh, and man, do I LOVE it!!!!
Tracking distance, pace, speed, altitude, heart rate, lap times......granted reading the manual and understanding the features requires mmore studying than for my SAT and LSAT, but that's half the fun.

The more you get into it, the more educated you become....

Do you *need* any of this to do tris? or any sport for that matter?
Hell, no, you don't need it....not having it isn't going to prevent you from going out, training and completing something you wantto do.

Can it help you improve/monitor/inspire/push yourself as you keep participating? you bet your sweet A** it can.

2004-10-06 7:30 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa

I don't use my HRM for racing, only training. I believe this article by Mark Allen might clear up some of the confusion surrounding the use and benefits of a HRM.

http://www.duathlon.com/articles/1460

2004-10-06 8:24 AM

User image

Expert
England

I'm with the masses, as I find a few of my 'tools' very helpful in my training - I have the full Timex GPS/HRM system and its great at helping me keep at my target low intensity pace on the bike and run while I build my base. I could do without it but it helps keep me 'honest' to my intended workout. I often leave the GPS at home and just run for time, without a worry on distance but like last night when I wanted to remind myself what the 10km run felt like ahead of a 10km fun run in a few weeks, the GPS was invaluable as I cant 'guess' a 10km very easily while I'm out there. I used to spend ages trying to 'guestimate' my runs so this is probably the 2nd most useful function it provides, after the HRM.

I guess it depends totally on your objectives and motivations. I want to improve so I use what I can to help me do that. If I just wanted to exercise and the racing was an occasional distraction, then I probably wouldn't bother with any of the technology. Its like DIY I suppose, if you just cut the occasional wood for occasional jobs, then handtools are good enough. If you want to do it more seriously or create more elaborate projects, then powertools are a real advantage!

2004-10-06 1:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Manchester, Connecticut
For me the technology is there to help me be more efficient with my limited training time.  I'm very busy like everyone else here and we only have so many hours that can be devoted to training, so I use my HRM and bike computer to help me make my training time the most efficient it can be.  I'm certain that I coud train without the technology, but I believe that I would increase my risk of injury and wouldn't be as fit on race as I could be.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what's with all the technology? Rss Feed