General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Herniated Disk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-26 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Herniated Disk
Friday morning on my way to work I had a horrible string of sneezes and experienced my first 10/10 pain in my back... I have had chronic back pain for years, but this was the absolute most painful thing ever. I describe it as:

"Burning, serrated knives being wielded by multiple poisonous snakes that were biting simoultaneously."

I got to my Chiro within an hour of the event (bless his heart for letting me in) for ART therapy. It seemed to help quite a bit. I spent the entire weekend laying on icepacks and walking. Sitting was totally and completely out of the question.

Anyway, now 6 days later, I have rebounded well. I have had 3 ART sessions. My chiro definitely felt sure the symptoms were a herniated disc... but I can't get an Xray right now (due to other "down there" possibilities.

Anyway, he says I can probably run and swim, but has some concerns about me hopping on the bike right now due to core instability and the probability of making a move while moving from aero to bars.

I totally trust my chiro, but I wonder how long others have taken to recover from a herniation. Aside from the onslaught of pain, can you really do more damage by working out? I feel confused about how to maintain fitness... I also have a race in 3 weeks that I would like to do!! Should I bail out now and wait to fight another day... the only thing is, it is almost the last race of the season (in my Area), so if I miss it, I will be done for the year).

2007-07-26 12:28 PM
in reply to: #902277

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: RE: Herniated Disk

Chronic back pain for years and you've never had an MRI (xray isn't gonna cut it)? Hard to say if you can do more damage  by excersing since you have no idea what the problem is.

These are the problems I have w/ Chiro's. 1) He "felt sure" you have a herniated disc. Based on what, your symptoms? And 2, they treat the symptoms, usually requiring multiple visits over many months, but rarely  (wanted to say never) cure the problem.

Go to a sports doctor, get a real diagnosis (MRI) and then you'll know what your up against. 

fwiw I too suffered w/ chronic back pain (herniated disc L5-S-1), tried all cures (including chiro) and finally  had succesful surgery in Aug 2001.

Hope you feel better cuz i know, back pain sux! 

2007-07-26 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey, thanks for the info...

I have had an MRI about 2 years back... apparently there was nothing there. I was seeing a sport med at the time... he pretty much said there was nothing there. I guess he didn't have anything else to say since he told me I was good to go and said there was no need to book any further appointments.

The chiro I see only does ART on me... no actual adjustments... and no insistance on the perpetual return. He helps me get my pain to a manageable amount and that is it. I see him when I feel I need a little help.

I am glad the surgery helped you... I have heard that they try to avoid back surgery in lieu of other treatments, but it is good to know it helps some people.
2007-07-26 2:36 PM
in reply to: #902777

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Well since you took that so well...

I would add that only you can determine how much pain you are in and how muxh you can deal with. Since it's not likely that you have physical problem (i.e. broken bone) phyiscal activity is not likely to make your current condition any worse. Even w/ my herniation my doctor always wanted me to excercise. Laying around just make it worse, or seem worse anyway. Pain begets pain they say.

If it doesn't hurt any more during or after than I'd say go for it, just listen to your body.

Good luck. 

2007-07-31 3:43 PM

These are the problems I have w/ Chiro's. 1) He "felt sure" you have a herniated disc. Based on what, your symptoms? And 2, they treat the symptoms, usually requiring multiple visits over many months, but rarely (wanted to say never) cure the problem.

A while back, on this very same message board, I posted some information about herniated discs that I thought would be of interest. The above is further indication that people need much more information about this common injury. It is also reflective of America's fascination with high tech diagnostics that add tremendous cost to the system with little benefit.

Doctors are supposed to make diagnoses clinically - from a combination of the patient's complaints and a thorough physical exam. In the case of a herniated disc, an MRI should be done to CONFIRM the diagnosis, not to make it. All too often patients with lower back pain are sent for MRI without clinical correlation (appropriate examination findings that support the need for the test) and are subsequently "diagnosed" with a "herniated disc."

It is essential that we remember that fully 50% of every person walks around with a "disc injury," but no active symptoms. Having an MRI that shows a disc injury is NOT definitive - it must be correlated through physical exam. In the case posted above it is very conceivable that the patient has signs of a disc injury but since he responds to treatment an MRI is not indicated. Spending money just for the sake of spending money is poor health management.

Secondly, chiropractic (or physical therapy or pain management) demand multiple, sometimes periodic visits. Disc herniations, unlike bronchitis or a rash, do not disappear with a pill and a few days rest. They can be a bear to treat, requiring a significant amount of time (and, yes, of money) and can rear their ugly heads seemingly on a whim. Most disc herniation patients I see I manage, I don't fix.

However, when the option is more aggressive, invasive procedures like epidural injections or surgery, many people opt for taking the time and spending the money. While there's no guarantee (with anything!), the good thing is that with chiropractic or physical therapy, you can always go the other route.

Hope this is of interest and of benefit.

Steve

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Herniated Disk Rss Feed