San Diego,
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 53s
Overall Rank = 977/1600
Age Group = 40+
Age Group Rank = 3/6
Pre-race routine:

Up early and ate a bowl of flakes and milk. Since I was staying at my brother's place in San Marcos, he drove me and Allie into the race site with my bike. I had VIP check-in, which was smooth. Had no trouble finding my bike rack, and got my transition area set up. Met with Tom and Jessica from BT. Too cool!!!
Event warmup:

Walked down to the start and watched the elite racers start. I had an hour to my wave, so did some stretches and walked back to the transition area to drop off my glasses. Now I only had my prescription goggles to wear, and look like a complete goof, or walk around virtually blind!!! LOL Talked to a couple of women in waves 11 and 12. Everyone I met was really friendly.
Swim
  • 11m 58s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

I sucked up one big mouthful of water and choked for a couple of seconds. I finished up with the crawl and felt pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

This water was alot colder than I thought. A wetsuit for next time is a must. Work on more confidence in the front crawl. Read: work on swimming alot more!!!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The transition area was very crowded with people, alot of whom were leaving after their race, so they will blocking the main isle for racers still coming and trying to leave on their bikes.

Get a bike rack closer to the bike out shoot.
Bike
  • 43m 12s
  • 15 kms
  • 20.83 km/hr
Comments:

I enjoyed this bike leg, and tried to push a bit more than I did on my other 2 sprint tris. My usual time per km is about 3 min, so I basically had a good training ride pace, and with all things considered, I was happy with my time for this leg.

Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This transition was short and sweet. Dropped the bike and grabbed my hat and race number belt, and off I went.

Not pause and look at my towel, wondering what I was forgeting. LOL
Run
  • 26m 43s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

My starting pace was good, and the best I've felt after biking. My brick training was paying off!! I gave myself about 6 or 7 minutes to warm the legs up and then grooved into my race pace that I held til the end. I had a bit left over to pick up the pace in the last 200m and even a little sprint to the end. This is a PB for my running segment of a tri. I have just gotten to a 10 min/mile in training, so this race pace of 8.6 just blows me away. Being 10 pounds lighter (lost in the past8 weeks) certainly hasn't hurt in the outcome as well.

I wouldn't have done anything differently. Totally loved this run.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with my brother, his wife, my daughter and their 3 girls at the finish line. SIL was crying, and so I started crying too. Took some pictures with my Allie-gal. Hung out in the post race area. Met up with Tom and Jessica again. I wish I had had more time to talk with them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim- just more training overall.
Bike- training and use of a road bike instead of a mtn bike ( I would have used a road bike, but I had only just picked up my new Cannondale road bike 10 days before this race, and was just not confident enough to take a rental road bike out for this race)

Event comments:

I had a fabulous time at this race. It is a big race event compared to the two other sprints I did at home on Vancouver Island this year. I really felt like I was in a BIG RACE, because there were so many people around me all the time. I smiled, I laughed, I sang. And, I came in 3rd place in my division, which totally blows my mind. Next year I plan to be under 150 pounds and race with the ladies in 40+ again. The lady who won that division finished in 1:03:35, so I've got my work cut out for me.

Last updated: 2004-10-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:58 | 500 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 977/1600
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: This was an in the water/tredding start. I was nervous but excited. I don't feel confident with my crawl, especially in a crowd. I knew that I'd rely on alot of breast to get me there.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:12 | 15 kms | 20.83 km/hr
Overall: 904/1600
Wind: Little
Course: This bike course was great. Virtually flat with a few s- curves and turns that snaked us around the edge of Mission Bay. Since I had rented a mtn bike with road tires for race, which I had only riden in the parking lot of the bike store before the race, I was a little hesitant at first. Once I got the feel of the wheels and the shifting figured out, I was off to the races. I even managed to pass a few road bikers on the return lap, which felt really good.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:43 | 03.1 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Overall: 902/1600
Course: Flat out and back that went over a bridge and winded its way around the edge of the water. Very pretty and enjoyable.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-10-06 8:52 AM

Regular
north end of vancouver island, BC, Canada
Subject: Jamba Juice Mission Bay Sprint

2004-10-06 10:32 AM
in reply to: #69725

User image

Regular
Twickenham, London
Subject: RE: Jamba Juice Mission Bay Sprint
i would love to participate on a race with so many contestants...
Nice race!
Cheers

Antonio
2004-10-07 12:10 AM
in reply to: #69725

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
Subject: RE: Jamba Juice Mission Bay Sprint
sounds like a fun race and congrats on a great finish!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jamba Juice Mission Bay Sprint Rss Feed