Bay State Triathlon Club
HOT!F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 58m 57s
Overall Rank = 347/458
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/32
Pre-race routine:

2 EAS Shakes after I woke up and on the ride down to Lakeville. Arrive in time to pick up packet and set up.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 25m 31s
  • 1500 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

For several weeks leading up to the race, the water temperature was measured at 79 degrees F, which meant no wetsuit. Two or three days prior, the water temp fell to wetsuit-legal temperature, which I think was 76F. I wore mine in the water but immediately regretted it as I felt overheated during the swim, and swam very sluggishly.

What would you do differently?:

Go without the wetsuit if it's that warm.
Transition 1
  • 04m 11s
Comments:

Coming out of the water there was about a 2' wide beach leading up to some stairs we had to run up. Then we had to run across a flower bed across the street and then finally into the TZ.

Still getting stuck in wetsuit around my feet. Timing chip strap got ripped off of my ankle as I pulled my wetsuit off of me, luckily noticed that it was on the ground before I left the rack with my bike!
Bike
  • 1h 27m 6s
  • 24.9 miles
  • 17.15 mile/hr
Comments:

First race using a proper road bike. Still crappy times :(

This was cranberry country, but I am not so sure I know what a cranberry bog looks like when the 'berries aren't in season.

Saw TriMom217's hubby Mike volunteering on the bike course and said hi! Her son was doing water bottle handups.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Didn't really case the joint when I arrived to set up transition area. Had to take a second or two to find where to run out! Standing there, I must have confused another lady because she stopped and asked me where the run "out" was, and wanted confirmation from someone else.
What would you do differently?:

Look at a course map or take the time to know where the bike and run in/out places are!
Run
  • 1h 00m 27s
  • 6.1 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

It was up into the 90s by the time I made it to the run. I tried hard to just concentrate on making it to the next water stop. I grabbed a cup of water to throw on me and drank the sports drink they offered, which I believe was Amino Vital. They ran out of water/sports drink at the last water station. Saw Mike again on the course directing athletes! How cool is TriMom's family?
Sprinted the last couple hundred feet into the chute just because. I didn't want to have anything left when I finished (not like the sprint was gonna help me!!!)

I thought because of the heat that my run time would be much slower. I knew it would be tough, so I actually had to continue psyching myself up throughout the run. Mostly I was concentrating on my running cadence and breathing.
Post race
Warm down:

walk a little after

Event comments:

Met TriMom217 and c2fd at this race!

Baystate Tri Club hosted a nice race. The post race food was good with plenty of picnic tables/benches available, and a nice band.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-10-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:31 | 1500 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 212/458
Performance: Below average
Suit: Ironman Instinct Full
Course: Wavy course that hugged the lake. A few shallow caution areas marked well with a stick and flag. Plenty of lifeguards on canoes.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:11
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:27:06 | 24.9 miles | 17.15 mile/hr
Overall: 423/458
Wind: None
Course: This course was the flattest of any I've ridden around this area. It was one continuous loop in the surrounding towns, clearly marked with one bottle hand-up station.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:27 | 06.1 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 287/458
Course: CCW loop out into surrounding neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-10-07 9:28 AM

Online or Offline
Subject: Cranberry Country International

2004-10-07 9:41 AM
in reply to: #70140

Online or Offline
Subject: RE: Cranberry Country International
OOPS I didn't mean these to come up here in the forum - I guess this is what it means to be "publically viewable".....what a dork.
I'm not going to fill these out all the way.
2004-10-07 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina

Oh come on May,  Fill out the race reports. Really.. I know that I have learned a lot from looking at other BTers race reports...nutrition, t-1 hints, etc, great learning tool. And sometimes someone will look at it and they did the race as well but didn't realize a fellow BTer was there.

Cranberry country was fun....looking forward to next year. The run was hot though.

2004-10-09 9:17 AM
in reply to: #70156

Online or Offline
ok Glen,
Done!
(only because I woke up this morning with a mean cheap chardonnay headache and couldn't get my butt to Masters'!)
Watched Red Sox in OT last night

2004-10-09 8:32 PM
in reply to: #70667

Champion

TypeA Girl Pilot - 2004-10-09 9:17 AM ok Glen, Done! (only because I woke up this morning with a mean cheap chardonnay headache and couldn't get my butt to Masters'!) Watched Red Sox in OT last night

Don't tell me that Ellen has you under that illusion that the Red Sox are going to win it all this year?  You're setting yourself up for some big disappointment you know!

2004-10-09 9:35 PM
in reply to: #70824

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
........hope springs eternal in the Nation......where May and I both reside......

2004-10-10 8:45 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Nice "full" race report!!! Really May, I learned quite abit. I didn't use a wetsuit either and had about the same time and had the same feelings. COurse was hot and the chutes were confusing. Nice pic of y ou and bike! Gotta get you into some shoes and clipless pedals for the new season, go window shopping!!
2004-10-10 9:18 PM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma

Hey May!

Great times, and great picture on the bike.  I recall that was a hot day, as I was running my first 13 miler that morning...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Country International Rss Feed