General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running shoes (my feet hurt!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-11 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Running shoes (my feet hurt!)
I have been running for about 2 years off and on, but have only begun putting in longer runs (10+ miles) since March of this year. So pardon me if this question is ridiculous.

I went to my local running store and got fitted for some shoes. And let me tell you, they're great. I had been just running in whatever I found that was on sale, but to spend a little extra and get the right shoes was definitely a good idea.

This is my problem. The bottoms of my feet really, really hurt when I am on my long runs (10 plus miles). Normally they feel better the next day, but during the run each step is just misery after certain mileage. I have put over 100 miles in these shoes so I'm certain they don't need "broken in". I also bought some orthotics (just cheap ones from Wal-Mart) and they do seem to help some, but I'm still in some pain. Short runs don't bother me at all. And it's the entire foot that hurts.

My question is, do you just get used to this whole hurting feet thing? Is the pain just a result of increasing mileage, and therefore something my body will adjust to after time? Or do you think I need to suck it up and get new shoes again? And in case anyone asks, I typically do my short runs on a cement trail behind our apartment but for longer runs I run on crushed limestone or asphalt.

2007-08-11 8:44 PM
in reply to: #922186

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: RE: Running shoes (my feet hurt!)
nobody knows?
2007-08-11 8:46 PM

User image

Regular
Mechanicsville, VA

If your feet are hurting that bad, I'd suggest seeing a

Sports Dr.
to have a Gait Analysis done. This is where they will video tape you running and analyze it. A lot of times, feet problems are the result of weaker thigh or hip muscles. The Dr. will be able to adjust your running form or give you exercises to strengthen the problem areas.

I wouldn't use the orthotics you got from Wal-Mart. Most of the over the counter orthotics are for comfort during standing or walking. If you need orthotics, get them at your local running store. Superfeet or Spenco are good brands.

I hope this helps.

2007-08-11 9:35 PM

User image

Runner

You're feet shouldn't hurt like that at all.  If they do, there is something wrong with either your feet, or your shoes, or both.  Go to a doctor, and go back to the running store and explain what's going on.

Cheap orthotics from Wally World ain't gonna fix ya. 

2007-08-12 7:27 AM

User image

Regular
It sounds like you love your shoes, but I'm wondering if you ended up with the right pair. I used to use a stability/cushioning shoe and had similar problems. I realized after research that because of my high arches and arch inflexibility that I need a cushioning shoe. Magically all my pain was gone.

I am not trying to fit you through the internet, maybe talk to the owner of the local running store or a different employee. But, if you have high and stiff arches you should be in a cushioning shoe.
2007-08-12 2:51 PM

A friend of mine who is very informed about running and exercising in general told me that because of how much I run (20-50 mi/week) I should have two good quality pair of shoes, then switch, wear one pair one week, and the other the next week.

2007-08-12 4:31 PM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,
try a long run with your old shoes and see if the same problem occurs.  If not-it's the shoes.  If so-go to a doctor.
2007-08-12 6:37 PM
in reply to: #922758

User image

Runner

sudie - 2007-08-12 3:51 PM A friend of mine who is very informed about running and exercising in general told me that because of how much I run (20-50 mi/week) I should have two good quality pair of shoes, then switch, wear one pair one week, and the other the next week.

That's a personal preference thing.  I do over 50, and use the same pair. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running shoes (my feet hurt!) Rss Feed