General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Lofty goals Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-26 12:21 PM

New user

Rochester, NY
Subject: Lofty goals
I started doing triathlons a year ago - I had never even run a 5k race.
I was very active in sports but following 4 shoulder surgeries, I needed something less demanding on my shoulder. (ha,ha) Swimming is killing me.
Anyway, I love the mental part of training - since I live in upstate NY - training in the winter is very mental, since much is done inside.
I finished 2 half Ironman races and 4 other olympic races last summer. I must be crazy because I signed up last summer to compete at Ironman Lake Placid.
Some days I wish I hadn't gone and done that.
At 35 with 3 children - time is a big part of this game!!!

2004-01-26 1:38 PM
in reply to: #5022

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: RE: Lofty goals
welcome to the board and a big congrats on your achievemtns. Good luck with the shoulder.
2004-01-26 1:48 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
I think your goals are wonderful! Nothing like plunging in head first I always say. I may make the trip to Lake Placid to cheer for a few friends this summer, although I hear that the IM thing is highly contagious

2004-01-26 1:49 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
i hope to have your lofty goals in 2005...tell me how u do it...i will have 2 kids by then and DEF want to do ironman 2005 or 2006.  i will watch your training log...see how u juggle things.  power to u this season!
2004-01-26 2:13 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
I agree with Ron, I'm looking forward to seeing your logs, as I hope to run the IM CDA, Id. in 06'. I hope you find success, and can inspire the other family people looking to get into this crazy sport.
2004-01-26 2:30 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Catharines, Ontario
Rochester isn't too far from me. I live in St. catharines Ontario. This winter is especially tough. Good luck with Lake Placid. There is something to be said about going for it.

2004-01-26 4:08 PM

, Alabama
Best of luck with Lake Placid. A teammate of mine did it this year. Very hilly and rainy. There was a time when you could go to their website and get a topographical map. (Could come in handy). I don't know if it is still there or even if the route has changed since '03. Keep a picture of your family on top of your workout schedule to remember what's most important!

Sharon
2004-01-26 6:16 PM
in reply to: #5044

User image

Resident Matriarch
uhmmm....I would call it 'mountainous' instead of hilly. It is in the Adirondacks after all

I attempted Tupper Lake Tinman 1/2 IM near Lake Placid a few years ago.....my one and only DNF. It poured on me for the entire 56 miles, and I was mentally finished before I even got off the bike. Finding my wet running shoes waiting for me just sealed the deal. So, yeah, they are mountains.

I'm warning ya Tupper Lake.....I'll be back!

2004-01-26 6:35 PM
in reply to: #5052

New user

Rochester, NY
TriMom217 -
You said it - The Tinman was one of my races last year. Getting off the bike and having to run the first 4 miles up hill was not pleasant.
I hear they are changing the run course this year because of all the complaints last year.
It's a good test as it is one month before IM Lke Placid.
2004-01-27 6:19 AM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
hibby,
Welcome to the site. Good luck with your goal of completing Lake Placid. I was thinking about being a volunteer this year, still have to talk over with my wife. Maybe I will see you at a couple of races.
Kevin
2004-01-27 6:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Wow - I'll be watching too. Reading all these forums - I'm beginning to think "more lofty" - Signed up for a couple of sprints and hoping to do an oly this first season - but hey Ron's got me thinking 2005 & 6 and heck Hawaii b/4 I cash in my chips?

2004-01-27 4:51 PM
in reply to: #5055

User image

Resident Matriarch
Subject: Tupper Lake
wow, I had no idea that the run started up hill, although I guess that's to be expected in the mountains. I didn't quite make it to that point. I got off my bike, dropped it inthe mud, took off my chip, and walked over to hand it in. Who is at the finish line with the "official" time clock and clipboard? Why, my husband of course. Normally he woulda give me a bunch of grief and told me to get my shoes on and finish what I had started. I guess as I handed my chip to him and told him not to say an effin' word he took me seriously.

I have a friend who also DNF'd at a different 1/2 IM so the two of us would like some retribution some day. We'll have to look at Tupper Lake again.

Now that I think about it, everything about that race was bad that year. The hotel we stayed at was the pits. We waited too long to make reservations and ended up at this place about 20 minutes from the race. They would not allow us to take our bikes into the room, insisting that they would be fine on the rack on the car. Well, 'scuse me, they'll be wet....or stolen! The woman actually asked me if I would bring it into my own house. I told her I'd sleep with the damn thing, it meant that much to me. Honestly, I had my trainer in the living room, what a stupid thing to ask!

So they let us put it in the garage and when we went to ride at 6 AM the next day the garage was locked. So we woke up the owner (hehehe) and boy were they mad. The day we checked out, we were moving stuff to the car from the rooms and I leaned my bike against a shrub and the guy almost had a heart attack! "Get that thing off my shrub! Do you have any idea how much that costs?" Huh?? your shrub or my bike?? OY we could not get out of there fast enough. As we left I told him I was going to tell all my tri club buddies that this was not a "triathlete-friendly" hotel and he threatened to sue me for slander! You really had to be there to believe this whole conversation.

Maybe I'll do a 1/2IM closer to home.......

2004-01-28 9:30 AM

New user

Wow quite a story Trimom. I was looking at the tupper lake one to do this summer. I think they have 1/2 distances for noobs like me but someday I hope to at least do a 1/2 Ironman!!!
2004-01-28 9:33 AM
in reply to: #5241

User image

Resident Matriarch
I think they now hold the Sprint race and the 1/2 on different days but on the same weekend. It's was a little confusing on the bike course when the Sprint people went one way and the 1/2 people went the other.

I think if I'm able to do a 1/2 someday, it will be FirmMan or TimberMan.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Lofty goals Rss Feed