General Discussion Triathlon Talk » (IM) Tapering...what tapering? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-24 11:33 AM

Subject: (IM) Tapering...what tapering?
Can any veterans out there share their philosophy and experience with IM tapering? (I'm racing in a few weeks)
There are competing theories embodied in some of the training schedules I've followed.
My questions really encompass the following:

1) How should one taper - Presumably its straight forward on the volume side. However, some people have suggested intensity reduction, while others say to enhance intensity along with the volume reduction. What do you recommend for this, and how should this change each week leading up to the event?

2) Composition of training - It's been suggested that I, particularly 1 week before the race, shift "training" (using loosely, as real training should already be done) much more towards swimming, while keeping bike/run extremely light. Thoughts?

3) Duration of tapering - 3 weeks seems excessively long to taper. Would 1.5-2 be sufficient, or is the longer period necessary?

4) Dietary modification - What's the best modification to one's diet the week before the race? Do I really have to lay off the chilidogs and bacon smoothies?

2007-08-24 11:39 AM
in reply to: #939121

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: (IM) Tapering...what tapering?

There are a wide variety of tapering methods.  Some people find certain methods work best for them.  Other people prefer, well, other methods.  There's no magic "perfect" taper for everybody.  All of the suggestions you list are feasible.  The only good advice for everybody is that it's better to be "too rested" than not rested enough.

As far as diet, I say just eat normal.  But remember you're training less so eat appropriate portions.

2007-08-24 11:51 AM
in reply to: #939137

Champion
South Jersey
JohnnyKay - 2007-08-24 12:39 PM

As far as diet, I say just eat normal.  But remember you're training less so eat appropriate portions.

You know what. I don't know if it was nerves or something, but during my Timberman taper, I tried to keep my eating exactly the same as usual...eat at my usual times, similar snacks and meals (in size and type), and I was ABSOLUTELY STARVING. Actually, I was getting a little worried about the race, because starting 5 days out, I woke up very hungry every morning. I was even waking up and eating in the middle of the night, because I was so hungry I couldn't fall back to sleep, and I would feel quite hungry multiple times during the day. I never have a problem with hunger, and I've never eaten in the middle of the night. I haven't spoken to anyone about it, but I cannot let that happen during my IMLP taper. I was actually a little nervous that my week of hunger was cause for the stomach issues I had on the bike; but I do think it really was something with the swim as I did feel fine before the swim started.

Back to the OP (sorry for the hijack), I do agree with JK. I don't necessarily increase the intensity of the shorter/lower volume workouts, but I do keep some higher-intensity sessions/intervals/etc. in my plan. It's not all EZ workouts and lower volume. I've only ever taped for a HIM; not yet for an IM.

Edited by LaurenSU02 2007-08-24 11:52 AM
2007-08-24 1:14 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Here is how my coach is tapering me for my HIM:

Yes we will be doing a taper for the HIM, we’ll start backing off about 10 days out from the race, decreasing distance and increasing the quality slightly. The main part of the taper will be the shorter workouts the weekend before and then the week of the race.

I would think that IM tapering would be similar... starting a little bit further out.
2007-08-24 3:44 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

My philosophy?  Based on Pfitzinger-Douglas ........

Back of the duration, but not the frequency or intensity for workouts.  i.e. Same workouts, just not as long.  Three weeks is plenty.  You should do a "dress rehersal" about 4 or 5 days out that is really short but in the full set-up you will be using and at the race pace you will be going.  That way if there is anything off a bit in your set-up you will catch it and be able to adjust/correct it.

Eat the exact same as you always do.  This will steadily rebuild your glycogen levels to their fullest balancing the correct ratio of carbs to protein (that is the true meaning of carbo-loading, not the usual eating a big meal the night before or doing higher intensity workouts to make your body super-compensate).  You will see a little weight gain if done properly, but that is fine.  You are about to undertake a 9 - 17 hour adventure that will deplete all the stores anyways.

2007-08-24 3:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX (Valley Ranch area)
My schedule actually calls for a 4-week taper:

Week 5 -- 18 hours (last big week)
Week 4 -- 10 hours (hard taper)
Week 3 -- 13 hours (slight taper)
Week 2 -- 8 hours (hard taper)
Week 1 -- taper, then race

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » (IM) Tapering...what tapering? Rss Feed