General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ladies, Hair Help ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-25 4:59 PM

NorCal
Subject: Ladies, Hair Help ?
This may seem like a silly question.. but for those ladies with lots of hair (like myself) what do you do with it on race day? I was thinking of putting it in a French Braid but I can't do this myself so I may have to get some help. That would mean having someone do it for me the night before the race. I am not sure if it would still be in tact the next morning.

My hair is so thick and long that I have issues getting it under my swim cap. Normally I try to pile it in ponytail/bun type thing on top of my head. But during several of my swims the cap pops off as my hair becomes wet and heavy. Very annoying. Other than hacking it all off, the braid is the best I can think of. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

2007-08-25 5:21 PM
in reply to: #940233

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: Ladies, Hair Help ?

I have long, thick hair, and I just give it a braid (not French, just regular) and then tuck it up inside my swim cap. Unfortunately, I've had trouble with the cheap-o caps they use at races -- they don't hold all my hair and try to come off while I'm swimming. So I wear my silicon cap underneath their cap, and that usually works fine. Plus, if their cap comes off, it's not big deal, and I just tuck it inside my wet suit and keep swimming.

With the braid, I can still wear my helmet without and problems, and I can pull my braid though the back of my running hat.

My only complaint is that my braid rubs along the back of my top while I'm running, and after 6 miles it turns into a massive dreadlock. But that's a small price to pay.

Some people have recommended a ponytail, using several elastics every couple of inches from the top to the bottom, but I found that doesn't let me tuck my hair into my swim cap as easily.

Here's a picture .

Also, if you're like me and you worry about the effect of all that swimming on your hair, you might try slathering it with conditioner before you put on your cap. I've found that keeps my hair relatively healthy, even with all the chlorine.

2007-08-25 5:34 PM
in reply to: #940233

User image

Mountain View, CA
Subject: RE: Ladies, Hair Help ?
I couldn't French braid my hair until a few months ago when, after enough frustration with ponytails during long runs and races, I finally sat down and struggled through it. It doesn't look fabulous, but it works great. I fold the braid in on itself a few times so that it's tucked at the top of my neck and doesn't flop around on the run.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ladies, Hair Help ? Rss Feed