General Discussion Race Reports! » Golden State Triathlon - My First Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Golden State Triathlon - My First Tri - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Sacramento, CA
United States
TBF Racing
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 33m 35s
Overall Rank = 343/356
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 23/24
Pre-race routine:

The checklists on this website helped a lot with preparing for the race and making sure I had the items I needed.
Event warmup:

I arrived too late to do any real warmup. Mostly standing around in knee-deep water trying to keep warm.
Swim
  • 35m 9s
  • 800 meters
  • 04m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had swam in this water previously and didn't feel like it was cold enough to warrant a wetsuit so I went without one. Turned out to be a significant mistake. It was so cold that I never really got my breath back. It was definitely different than working out at the gym where I can take short breaks at the end of each leg. No breaks in the open water. My swim time and the effort it took really hurt me in finishing within the time I would have liked.
What would you do differently?:

I would rent a wetsuit. Do more training in open water, practicing getting back into freestyle from other strokes.
Transition 1
  • 09m
Comments:

T1 took more time than I thought it would. I was already exhausted at this point -- my hands were shaking and I almost fell over once. It was also difficult to get my shirt on while wet so I might have dried off a little more (?).

I put my shoes on before my shorts which was a mistake. I could have saved a minute or two by just being more organized, putting on my helmet and gloves while riding in the transition area. I will take my own pins next time. They ran out when I first came to the transition area and my girlfriend found some but then she pinned the number on wrong and I had to re-do it. That could have all been taken care of before I started.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 56s
  • 15 miles
  • 12.51 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike leg was probably my strongest leg. I've been biking for years, mostly commuting to work, but I've only begun triathlon training over the last few months. It was a nice ride, I passed a decent number of people (and re-passed them after the shoelace incident below). I was really weak on the miniscule hills due to exhaustion, so I just focused on spinning and not continuing to exhaust myself. Drafting was legal but there were too few people around me to draft with anyone.

Make sure my shoe laces are out of the way. I had to stop because one of them got caught in the gear and I had to get it uncaught, then re-tied. I would have liked to have my bike computer working. Again, this is something that I could have verified before the race started had I arrived in enough time. It would have been nice to have some hydration method that was easier than bike bottles. I ended up not drinking very much and that might have led to slower times.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

I rode in my running shoes. I don't have clipless pedals, just toe clips, so this saved a little time in T2. I forgot to take off my bike shorts, which ended up not mattering -- I didn't really notice the gel pad while running. I also missed my spot in the transition area and it took me a minute to find it.

I would take a look at where my spot is within the transition area from more of a big-picture view. Coming back into the T-area was a different perspective and I lost my place for a minute. I could have removed my bike shorts. It also took me a second to find the run start -- I started going the wrong way! I could have scoped that out before the race began also.
Run
  • 35m 30s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I did better on the run than I thought I would. My quads hurt right away and when I got a small cramp in my left thigh, I was able to walk it out without a problem. I ran (jogged) most of the time which is amazing to me. I thought I would be crawling at that point. But it hurt whether I was walking or running so I figured it was better to run, even if it was slowly, because that was faster. I usually think about my feet when I run, but I barely ever thought about them or my breath. I was mostly just focused on getting the next thigh to lift for the next step. Also at that point, many people were encouraging others that they were almost there, and that was helpful to keep me going. At the very end I broke into a sprint. I was amazed at how easy it was -- I should have done that sooner and/or more often. I had some knee pain during the bike ride that I thought would be a factor on the run, but it ended up going away.

I think improvement in this event for me will just be a matter of training to increase my endurance. Losing weight will definitely help.
Post race
Warm down:

None. Just took it easy. My girlfriend and I walked over to the post-race event and I got some Clif bars and shots and drank my Cytomax that I should have consumed during the race. Sat in the hot tub afterwards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Other than training, I think if I had had a wetsuit, the swim would have gone better. Overall, though, I think it went really well. I am so proud of myself for finishing, forget about competing. This was my first triathlon and it's a major accomplishment. I've gotten out of shape the last few years, and now I'm on my way to getting back to where I want to be physically. Also, getting used to the logistics in triathlons is a big deal. I've done 5k's where all you have to do is show up with your shoes on. This was a lot different and it was a good first experience where I learned what it's like and what to do better next time.

Event comments:

The Golden State Tri is a good race for first-timers. It's well-supported, there is a wide range of entrants from elite to 70+ year-olds (God bless them), it's challenging but not too hard, and the location is nice. People were very friendly and helpful. It was a good experience. I would do this race again and I would recommend it to others.

Last updated: 2004-10-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:09 | 800 meters | 04m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 0/356
Performance: Below average
Suit: Jammers
Course: The swim course was .5 mile total, up and then back partway. The majority of it was upstream on the American River, but we got to swim with the current for the last 1/3 (approx).
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 09:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:11:56 | 15 miles | 12.51 mile/hr
My computer wasn't working and I didn't want to take the time to fix it so I didn't get any more data.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The course was a 5-mile loop starting within Discovery Park and going out onto the bordering streets. The streets were clean but there were a few places where they were pretty beat up so you had to watch where you were going. I liked looping around to where people would be cheering.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:30 | 03 miles | 11m 50s  min/mile
Course: The run was up and back on the bike/ped (paved) path that runs along the American River. The scenery was nice and the path was clean of debris. There were two aid stations along the course, both of which you ran by twice, coming and going.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-10-17 5:22 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Golden State Triathlon - My First Tri

2004-10-17 6:29 PM
in reply to: #73413

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Golden State Triathlon - My First Tri
Congratulations on completing your first tri. It sounds like you really learned a lot, so next time you will be better prepared and have an idea of what to expect. That, in and of itself, is huge. I kept nodding when reading your RR, thinking yep, I did that, too.

With respect to your laces, you need to order yanks (yanx?) shoelaces. Just go to the TriSports link on the homepage. They cost less than $10 and are a type of elastic laces system that eliminates the need for shoe laces.

I'm not sure what you mean by putting your helmet on later during T1, but as I understand it (and I'm no expert), you have to have your helmet on and buckled before you are allowed to touch your bike.

All in all, great job and welcome to the addiction.

2004-10-17 7:11 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Congratulations on your first Tri - great job.  Way to get through all those difficulties.  Getting that cold on the swim can really impair your abilities -both physical and mental. 

Great job!

Gary

2004-10-17 9:02 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Great job!! I applaude you getting into water 55 degrees!! My first tri, the water was 80 degrees and I was shivering when I came out too.

Keep up the great work!!!
2004-10-17 9:26 PM

I felt your pain in the water, I had the worst swim ever, and I even had a wetsuit on. The late race start screwed me up, I was a popsicle by the time we started. It was great to see you on the run and after, you looked great! You should be very proud.
2004-10-18 1:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Congrats on finishing your first race!!!

2004-10-18 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Congratulations on your first race!

-Frank
2004-10-18 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Congrats! You are now a triathlete! Great race report - sounded like an epic challenge at some points in there. You kept going through it all and finished strong. Congrats on your new Personal Best!

After edit...holy crap....you swam in 55 degree water!!!!

Edited by jkbostic 2004-10-18 2:44 PM
2004-10-18 4:34 PM

User image

Expert
Thank you all for your encouragement and support. It was a wonderful personal challenge that I am definitely proud of. It was fun to see another BTer there as well.

Aikane, thanks for the tip about the shoelaces. Also, you're probably right about the helmet thing. I was thinking of how I ride around town, not during a race with all of its rules.

About the water temp, it's an estimate because I was never given the exact number. My guess is based on the outside temperature, which was about 60F, and the water seemed a little cooler than the air. If I get an exact number, I'll post it.
2004-10-18 5:10 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Great job on finishing your first tri! Sounds like you learned a lot, and the great thing about this race report log is that you can come back to it before your next race.

Congrats!!!
2004-10-18 5:30 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
congrats on finishing your first race, triathlete!

2004-10-18 6:26 PM

User image

Expert
OK, I've updated the water temp to 60F based on historical data about the river this time of year.

Thanks again everyone for your congrats!
2004-10-18 6:49 PM

User image

I got the shivers just thinking about how cold your swim was!!! You are one tough duck!!!

One of the handiest things I got this year was a race belt. It's an elastic strip with a buckle that goes around your waist. It has snaps that hold your race number. Very handy. You can attach your race number the night before and you are set.

Way awesome, you TRIATHLETE!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Golden State Triathlon - My First Tri Rss Feed