General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Simulated Altitude Training/Sleeping Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-29 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: Simulated Altitude Training/Sleeping
So I saw this article today.. I realize its a year old...

Altitude Sleeping

and I found a follow up article that said the training technique was not banned.

What does everyone think of this? Should I living at 1000ft be able to Simulate that I live in Denver at 5280' when I sleep... or on Pikes Peak over 14000'? I know I used to climb 14ers a lot and simply staying the night before at 11000' made a huge difference. Does this kind of training level a playing field or is it an unfair advantage? Is this "in the spirit of the sport?"

2007-08-29 10:00 AM
in reply to: #945592

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Simulated Altitude Training/Sleeping
I see no problem with it.  If it's banned, people just move to higher altitude for training.  Unless we ban that, too.  Of course, why don't we ban trainers and treadmills that simulate hills, too....
2007-08-29 10:12 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
I agree... I don't think its a secret why there is US Olympic team training facility in Colorado Springs. Or why Kenya pumps out amazing runners..
2007-08-29 11:16 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
In 2005 my wife and I won a raffle @ Ironman Hawaii which was for a 6 month lease on an CAT (Colorado Alittude Training tent). We slept in this thing for 6 months before Ironman Canada. The simulated elevation was around 9k, and I can say that I did notice a slight difference, but nothing too major... However, my wife noticed it more than I did, so to each their own? I did notice a slow HR which in turn may mean a lower exertion of effort?

Interest article that I saw on www.tri-talk.com yesterday....

http://www.triathletemag.com/Departments/Training/2007/Get_the_most...
2007-08-29 11:44 AM

Elite

The effect of altitude on performance is quite a controversial topic.

The basic effect is that when exercising at high altitude, the partial pressure of the oxygen is less than at low altitude so the oxygen is not as readily absorbed by your red blood cells. If you live or train for long durations at altitude your body compensates by manufacturing more red blood cells. There seems to be controversy over how long this process takes.

A google of "High Altitude Training" yields a plethora of training camps claiming that high altitude training improves low-altitude performance. However, there is not conclusive agreement that this is the case, at least not beyond a very short-term effect. And it may take very long-duration exposure to high altitude to force the adaptation (some suggest as long as 12-18 months).

There are several variables: training altitude, sleeping altitude, event altitude, duration of exposure, and time between altitude training and the event.

The only combination that I am aware of that has really been proven is that training at high altitude can improve performance at high altitude. There is again controversy regarding the duration of exposure required to gain a significant benefit (i.e. how long does it really take your body to make enough extra red blood cells to improve high-altitude performance).

Apparently at least one set of studies has found a benefit to the "sleep high / train low" combination which I believe is the genesis of the popularity of the hypoxic tents for athletes.

There is also at least one study that shows a short-duration benefit of high-altitude training to low altitude performance, but again I think this has not been borne out by many other studies. I think the basic idea is that coupling the high-altitude hematocrit with low-altitude oxygen pressure can yield better performance. The questions are: at what point does higher hematocrit hit diminishing returns at low altitude, and whether this effect can last long enough to make a difference in a future athletic event.

2007-08-29 11:46 AM
in reply to: #945623

Elite

climbin5414 - 2007-08-29 9:12 AM I agree... I don't think its a secret why there is US Olympic team training facility in Colorado Springs. Or why Kenya pumps out amazing runners..

So then:

- Why not put the Olympic training center in Breckenridge or Leadville?

and

- Why doesn't Bolivia pump out even more amazing runners than Kenya?

2007-08-29 1:57 PM
in reply to: #945820

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
ScottoNM - 2007-08-29 11:46 AM

climbin5414 - 2007-08-29 9:12 AM I agree... I don't think its a secret why there is US Olympic team training facility in Colorado Springs. Or why Kenya pumps out amazing runners..

So then:

- Why not put the Olympic training center in Breckenridge or Leadville?

and

- Why doesn't Bolivia pump out even more amazing runners than Kenya?

Because Colorado springs has a large Airport, more money, and people are less distracted by the hotties on the ski slope.

And Running to school barefoot gives the advantage in Kenya... IDK... maybe Boliva is too busy with soccer or something.

I knwo when I left Denver to go to school in Missouri it was easy to breath when I ran.. probably had a lower HR but it went away quick. I had lived and excercised at 5280 or more for 20 years but 3 months at 1000' would hurt my conditioning when I went back.
2007-08-29 4:47 PM

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Well, Id' have to give up racing if they banned high altitude sleeping! I live at 7000 ft.

I have noticed how my 5 years up here give me an advantage over triathletes coming up from Phx for racing and training. I'm not negatively affected by the altitude but they are. Besides that, I haven't noticed a gain. When I go down the hill I don't notice a better fitness level.

But then others swear they do--and it does seem to work differently for everyone.

I'd say, save the money and just train more/more consistently. Unless you plan to race at altitude the benefits of sleeping in some kind of tent don't outweigh the ugliness of having such a monster in the bedroom.

The funny picture (in the thread about race mishaps) of the guy who put on his helmet backwards says it all: he can't even get his helmet on right but has an expensive Garmin gadget on his wrist. I'd advocate obsessive training over obsessive playing with tech toys any time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Simulated Altitude Training/Sleeping Rss Feed