General Discussion Race Reports! » Rogers Try a Tri at The Canadian 226 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rogers Try a Tri at The Canadian 226 - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada
Somersault Promotions
22C / 72F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 2s
Overall Rank = 1/95
Age Group = Men
Age Group Rank = 1/39
Pre-race routine:

Carb-loading went very well on Friday evening. I stuck to my routine (grams of carbs input based on weight). In bed at 9:45PM, slept well. Up at 5:45AM. I had plenty of time before my race (10:05AM), so I had a good breakfast (toasts, banana, dates, PB, honey, apple sauce) and plenty of time to let it rest.

The kids were excited and that was fun. I managed to have the car packed, all my gear ready, and my nerves somewhat settled by 7:50AM, and off we went.

Since this was probably the biggest multisport weekend of the year in Ottawa, there was a lot of people on site, considering the numerous races being held. I opted to parked a bit farther, and the walk to the race site was actually not too bad (the kids behaved!!).

The arrival was a bit overwhelming. And that's when the first "oh my god, I am actually going to do this!" hit me. And then I did what I promised myself I would not: start to freak out when looking at the other racers.

You see, my Transition was a mix of people doing the Try-a-Tri (like me) and the SuperSprint (same distance, but with AG categories, and more "competitive"). I started looking at all those people who looked in way better shape than me, and all those bikes who looked way faster than mine... and I kept telling myself this was all crazy. Considering many of them had the "T" on their left calf (identifying Try-a-Tri participants).

Race orientation was at 9:00AM, (while I was eating a Clif Bar) and the guy giving it was pretty cool, getting everybody somewhat relaxed. And in a way, it was funny. Who cares if it was just a tri for newbies, I could feel we were all "checking out the others". It reminded me of a chapter in the book I am reading now (Lance's War) where the other explains how bike racers spent there time spying on the competition, and checking out their butts, and their bellies!

Once the orientation was over, I went to my T-Zone to make sure everything was line-up, and looking good. Satisfed, I grabbed the swim cap and the googles, and off to the swim start area I went...
Event warmup:

... of course, I realized halfway there I still had my sunglasses on! So back I went to my T-Zone. And off to the beach I went... again.

Spotted Louise and the girls playing near the beach, and they ran over to me. Most of the HIM participants were getting out of the water at that time. My wife told me (alarmed): "you don't have any pants like they all do!! You are gonna freeze... sink...". I then explained her the purpose of a swimming wetsuit, why I didn't need it for a short swim like mine (in warm water), etc. She also relaxed more when I showed my swim course compared to theirs.

I would be swimming along the beach, in knee deep water, from one big buoy to the other.

I went in the water to relax and get a feel for it. Did a few 50M intervals, and back out to stretch. I was ready, and feeling good about myself.
Swim
  • 04m 41s
  • 200 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

My triathlon journey almost ended after 50M of the swim. It's that simple!

Those were the worst 50M of my entire 2 month born-agais swimming career. Nerves? Stress? Too confident? I probably started too fast. I swalloded water, tried to get in my "zone" but could not. It was plain old ugly.

At about 50M (guesstimate) I stopped and stood up. I looked around. I was at a breaking point. Almost in tears. All that training for THIS!!

I somewhat managed to pull myself back together. I noticed that even if I was really blowing it, I was far from being in the back of the pack, and that the front pack was not that far ahead.

So I got back in the water, and got it done. The rest of the swim was uneventful. I found my confortable "zone", stayed in it, and finished.
What would you do differently?:

Train more for sure. But mostly relax. I don't think my swimming was the issue. The first time jitters got to me I guess.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The run from the beach to T-Zone was 300M, and with a small hill. I was already passing other contestants who were huffing and puffing their way up. Got to my rack relaxed (but nervous) and getting bike-ready was quick and efficient. I am really happy I had practice on several occasions.

Got the race belt on first, then the socks and the bike shoes (my Shimano SPD MTB shoes), sunglasses, helmet, and off we go.

Keep working on it. Maybe next year I can learn to do the "shoes on the bike" thing!
Bike
  • 30m 54s
  • 15 kms
  • 29.13 km/hr
Comments:

NOTE: Sportstats results include transition times. Not sure where the mats where. According to my Garmin, bike ride was 15.40K. I did it in 28:32 (32.4 km/h average)

I kicked butt! Now some details: I started biek training this spring and I am thrilled by the result. I biked the course just like I wanted, keeping the cadence high, and the HR just a few beats below LT. I flew by most of the guys that were out of the water before me, and started catching on a few of the slower "super sprinters" that had a 5 minute head start.

I found a nice "confortable hard" pace and kept it all along. The cadence kept steady, the HR was steady, I was steady. I knew I could bike hard and still have "juice" for the run. It was also humbling to get smoked by some of the top IM and HIM participants (tri and Du) who were blowing by at 40 km/h!

By the turn around point, I knew I was doing awesome, and that I was at my planned pace. I did pretty good on the somewhat tight 180 but saved my ego and off I was again.

I just kept pushing hard, watching the HR, and actually enjoy myself. The day was awesome, I know had the wind mostly in my back... I WAS going to be a triathlete.

With just a few k's to go, I spotted our famous Hula Girl who was there to cheer on the Maniacs and that put a smile on my face.

Then came NOOB mistake number 2! I unclipped and started dismounting at the wrong spot!!! I spotted at the spot where runners were coming from the T area, and NOT AT THE DISMOUNT LINE. There were lots of spectators there, and they all shouted at me to keep going. THANKS! I said a few bad words out loud, but while smiling and laughing, and then did the 300 extra meters to the dismount line!

Nothing. I executed what I planned. I felt great and pushed hard. The bike was almost too good to be true. A great motivator for things to come.
Transition 2
  • 03m 52s
Comments:

I got my first "physical" reality check the second I got off the bike. Might have been the stress, and the fact I pushed hard but I really felt like I was about to throw up. I was expecting the woobling legs, but not the nauseous feeling I had. So I did a light jog to T-Zone, trying to stay calm. By the time I got to my rack, I was back under control.

Helmet off, turn the race belt, bike shoes off, run shoes on... fool around getting my Forerunner off my handlebar... Pop a Clif Shot... AND NOTICE MY WATER BOTTLE HAD TIPPED AND WAS EMPTY! So that meant I had just took a gel and had no water to wash it down. I hate that!

A part from that, real happy with this Transition also. The practice paid off, and I was on autopilot. But the whole thing was a bit "fuzzy" also, and I could not manage to strap my Forerunner on my wrist. So I just took it off holding in my left hand!

Louise and the girls were right there and loudly cheered me on. That was great!

Find better system to make sure my water bottle does not empty BEFORE I drink it! Find a different system for the Garmin switch. (I know IronMike will tell me to get an Edge 305 and leave it on the bike!)
Run
  • 25m 37s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 07s  min/km
Comments:

Note: Note sure exactly where the mats for the 5K where. Sportstats official results seem weird to me. According to my Garmin, I ran 4.90K in 23:24.

I started the run nervous I had not drank any water. But trying to stay focused. Like in all my brick workouts, I did the first K fast (4:22), but my HR was under control. I knew the course, and I knew I had it me to keep going.

I started passing a lot of runners, most of them from the SuperSpring. I noticed I was not passing any runners from the Try-a-Tri. I knew I had passed several on the bike, but figured that the lead swimmers where out there somewhere.

Got some loud cheers from Hula Girl again, and got into my "zone". I knew from my Garmin I was flirting with my sub 24:00 pace, and I decided to go for it. That was after about 2K.

Just after the turnaround, I crossed another guy from my race and he was smockin fast. I had passed him early in the bike. I told myself: "now is the time to push it. You trained hard, let's see what's left". So instead of relaxing the pace a bit like I had planned, I kept pushing.

I grabbed a cup of water at the last station and poured it on my head, and pushed for the only little "uphill" on the course. Crossed Hula Girl (again!) and was all smiles. I yelled "I am going to be a triathlete".

I took a quick peak behind and the other runner did not seem to be catching up. I left the bike path for the dirt road that led up to the stadium, then a final push to get on the race track for the finish.

Nearing the track, I was certain I had no juice left in me for a final sprint. But hearing the people cheer, the announcer, seeing (and hearing!) Louise and the girls yelling for me, well I just let all out and pushed hard on the track.

Crossed the finish line, grabbed bananas, got the medal, chip off (all that took about 15 seconds) and then went to cool down and catch my breath. It's still a bit fuzzy in my mind...

Not much. I had trained for this, and I was ready. I did the run just like I had planned.
Post race
Warm down:

Louise and the girls rushed over, along with our friends JP and Joanne (and there kids). They all wisely decided to keep their distance for about a minute, while I was catching my breath and realizing I was now a TRIATHLETE! Good they did, because that minute was a bit emotional for this former couch potato.

It was then hugs and kisses, and already back into "father" mode, trying to catch my youngest daughter who was all over the place.

That's when my buddy JP told me: "you know, I think you did real well. I didn't see anyone else finish that were in the Try-a-Tri". I told him I thought I did not bad, but that I probably had not caught up to the 25 guys who were out of the water ahead of me.

A few minutes, I went over to check the early results only to notice he was actually right: I HAD WON! That took a few seconds to sink in!

the bike did it for me, since I had the fastest split. I was 26th after the swim, had the fastest bike split, and the 8th run split.

OMG! I got a little clip-on for my medal... hugs and kisses from Hula Girl... and I can't even describe how my girls (and my wife!) reacted to all of that!

The Somersault volunteer in the announcer booth told me that it was a great way to start my triathlon career. I told her: "maybe not a career... but a journey for sure!"

What limited your ability to perform faster:

On the bike and run? Nothing.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-08-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:41 | 200 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/39
Overall: 26/95
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sugoi Tri Shorts / NRS HydroSilk top
Course: Straight line, following the beach.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 22C / 72F Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:54 | 15 kms | 29.13 km/hr
Overall: 1/95
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3822862
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on Colonel By Avenue. Flat and false flats. No real hills whatsoever.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:37 | 05 kms | 05m 07s  min/km
Overall: 8/95
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3822863
Course: Out and back on the bike path between Colonel By and the Rideau Canal. No hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-02 7:53 AM

Veteran
Aylmer, Qc
Subject: Rogers Try a Tri at The Canadian 226
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rogers Try a Tri at The Canadian 226 Rss Feed