2007-09-06 11:19 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: For you early risers

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070906/ts_afp/healthjapansleep

*Article text*
Generations have praised the wisdom of getting up early in the morning, but a Japanese study says early-risers are actually at a higher risk of developing heart problems.

The study, conducted by researchers from several universities and hospitals in the western Japanese city of Kyoto, revealed a link between wake-up times and a person's cardiovascular condition.

"Rising early to go to work or exercise might not be beneficial to health, but rather a risk for vascular diseases," said an abstract of the study.

The study, covering 3,017 healthy adults aged between 23 through 90, found that early risers had a greater risk of heart conditions including hypertension and of having strokes.

However, the study also noted that early risers were usually older.

The study is being presented this week at the World Congress of the World Federation of Sleep Research and Sleep Medicine Societies, being held in Cairns, Australia.

A separate study released in June by researchers at the University of Pennsylvania found that chronic sleep deprivation adds stress to the heart, putting a person at greater risk of cardiovascular disease and death.
*End of article text*

So...do I continue to get up and work out (stressing my CV system) or sleep in (meaning I won't get workouts in, 'cause they rarely happen in the evening)? 

2007-09-06 11:25 AM
in reply to: #953958

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: For you early risers

So is this a case of how to lie with statistics?

What does the study really tell us?  That those studied had higher incidents of hypertension and vascular diseases.  It also said the early risers were usally older.  Does that mean all those that were NOT early risers died off and therefore were not part of the study? 

I think when someone does a study like this and publishes it, they should plan a follow up study to dig deeper into the "what is not there issues."

2007-09-06 11:34 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
I also think it is important to know WHY people are getting up early. If its to exercise, thats one thing. If you are just getting up at the crack of dawn to work, thats another. Too many other variables in there too.... I agree, its just another example of lying with statistics.
2007-09-06 11:41 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

This study tells us that races need to start later in the day.  Perhaps a 10 am start time for Ironman races, resulting in a 3:00am finish cutoff.  ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2007-09-06 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
Haha, I read this article and immediately dismissed it! One of the last paragraphs mentions sleep deprivation...I'm sure there's negative effects on the body when you get to bed at 2am and wake up at 5am!! Thank you Yahoo! for polluting your webpage and giving lose living unhealthy lifestyles more ridiculous reasons not to change their ways.
2007-09-06 12:07 PM

I agree there's too many variables but alot of heart attacks do occur when people first get out of bed in the morning.

If you hit the hay early and get a good night's sleep can't imagine you'd be putting yourself at a higher risk.

2007-09-06 12:41 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Ha! The article states, "A separate study released in June by researchers at the University of Pennsylvania found that chronic sleep deprivation adds stress to the heart . . ."

All this study shows is that waking people up early -- i.e., depriving them of sleep -- can increase risk of hypertension. Which is exactly what the 'separate study' showed.

I don't think it matters when you get up if you're still getting a good night's rest. What about people who work graveyard shifts? They get off at 7am, and then they wake them up at 9am for a study? Yeah, that could put some unnecessary strain on your heart.

When do I get my research money for studying the effects of not eating? My hypothesis is this: When a person does not eat, they will have less energy. Anybody wish to help me with the study? You'll get a piece of the grant money.
2007-09-06 1:57 PM

User image

Regular
Charlottesville, VA
And the study in Japan was probably done on Samurai who have a shorter life expectancy (due to sword figting early in the morning without getting the sleep out of their eyes) anyway.
2007-09-06 8:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
I always knew getting up early was bad for you. This article puts me over the top, I'm sleeping in tomorrow.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For you early risers Rss Feed