General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie / bike commuter seeks training program advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-27 8:32 PM

Subject: Newbie / bike commuter seeks training program advice
Hi all,

I want to start training in a more regimented way for my first tri - an Olympic distance event in March '05 - so I've had a look at the very helpful 20 week programs on this site.

However, because of time constraints, I would like to integrate my 3-4x weekly bicycle commute, which is 25-30 mins (at a decent intensity) each way. I'm not sure how much to reduce the other components (bike or otherwise). Any suggestions on how I might do this? I have access to a LifeCycle at work, so I could jump on that upon arrival for my weekly "Long" bike...

2004-10-28 10:06 AM
in reply to: #76690

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: RE: Newbie / bike commuter seeks training program advice

I think you could allow your bike commute to take the place of 1, maybe 2, bike workouts a week, but you need to schedule at least 1 long bike ride a week.  There's a big difference between riding 10 miles at a time and 25 miles at a time.  I would schedule the long ride for the weekend.

Have fun.

2004-10-28 11:12 AM
in reply to: #76690

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Newbie / bike commuter seeks training program advice
An olympic bike distance is not much when you think about; it's a mere 40K and you can do that.  But, while there is no concern that you might not be able to do 40K on a bike, there might be a bit of concern with doing that distance quickly.  You need to gear your training towards three different aspects of cycling: speed, strength and endurance.  Your daily commute of 2x half an hour might be good for strength--depending on whether there are hills on your route--but you need to incorporate speed and endurance training.  Take a look at the 3x Olympic training program offered on the main page, which calls for a short, a medium, and a long bike training session each week.  You have access to Lifecycle so you can do your speed training on this; in my opinion, this is actually better than trying to race on the road with traffic, lights, and stop signs.  Also, for endurance you might think about taking a longer route home once a week.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie / bike commuter seeks training program advice Rss Feed