General Discussion Triathlon Talk » knee injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-25 3:23 PM

Subject: knee injury
I am new to triathlon and plan to do my first race in May of '08. However, I injured my right knee about 4-5 months ago while running and am still feeing pain from it. It's a stiffness around my kneecap and I think it is tendinitis. I stopped running several weeks until it felt a little better, but the pain came back when I started running again. Is this type of injury common? Does anybody know how to treat this kind of thing? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2007-09-25 3:34 PM
in reply to: #978824

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: knee injury
No sense to train if the pain just keeps returning after you get back into running. Your best bet is to see a sports doctor. He'll know more than I! Do you wear orthodics? If not, that may be an idea...
2007-09-25 3:40 PM

Thanks for the response. I don't wear orthotics but that's something to consider. My main concern is keeping up my fitness level while trying to rest my knee as much as possible. Thanks again

Speedwagon
2007-09-25 3:56 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Is the pain during running, after, or both?  If during the run, is it from the outset, or does it happen after you've been out for 30 minutes?  Is it located below the kneecap, underneath, to the outside edge, etc.?

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but one common issue is IT Band.  Another is patellar tendonitis, also known as Jumpers knee.  And there are many others.  Search the Injury forum for knee pain and knee posts.  Lots of websites with info on knee pain from running -- Google is your friend.

I had the patellar tendonitis issue, and people recommend yoga and other strengthening exercises for that as a long-term fix.  I have just been using something similar to the cho-pat straps underneath the knee cap, and those work well for me.

2007-09-26 8:32 AM

Thanks for the info. I've done a bot of research and it sounds to me like I have patellar tendonitis. I don't feel any pain while walking or running, just when I am sitting or lying in the same position for a while. My knee tightens up and aches like you wouldn't believe. I will be getting a MRI done next week which might explain more. How long did you have this problem? Is resting it for several weeks the only way to fix it. Thanks.

2007-09-26 11:37 AM
in reply to: #979510

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Speedwagon - 2007-09-26 6:32 AM Thanks for the info. I've done a bot of research and it sounds to me like I have patellar tendonitis. I don't feel any pain while walking or running, just when I am sitting or lying in the same position for a while. My knee tightens up and aches like you wouldn't believe. I will be getting a MRI done next week which might explain more. How long did you have this problem? Is resting it for several weeks the only way to fix it. Thanks.

I began experiencing it after my first couple weeks of running, and it got progressively worse to the point that I was in regular pain after, and even during every run and having to do the RICE treatment (rest/ibuprofen/cold/elevation) all the time.  I rested from running for a couple weeks and started wearing the knee straps when I returned to it.  Since then, as long as I wear the straps, no significant problems.  I've done a couple short runs without, but I'm pretty good about wearing them.  I also don't run mega miles like some people, maybe 2-3 runs a week, usually 30-45 minutes a run, six miles max occasionally.  I suspect that people who run with minimal injury issues long-term are typically very thin.

I use the Jumper's Knee strap, but the Cho Pat one may be more running specific: 

http://www.muellersportsmed.com/kneeproducts.htm

Good luck with it. 

2007-09-26 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
What kind of shoes do you have and how many miles are on them? How often were you running prior to the injury? How did the injury occur? Do you stretch before or after running?

The reason I ask is .......if your shoes have too many miles they could have lost their shock absorbing capability (dampening). Without shock absorption, the knees, tendons and muscles could be forced to withstand 5-10X your body weight during a maximum dynamic event.

Also, shoes need to fit your foot type and gait (pronation/supination/neutral). Improperly fit shoes can cause inner/outer knee issues, ankle problems, and gastrocnemius strain (calf muscle).

Some tendonitis can be caused by tighter or stronger muscles in one area of the leg vs another. Check this site out :

http://www.bigkneepain.com/knee_injuries.html

Hope the above helps, but visiting a local sports physiologist trumps it all.
2007-09-26 8:31 PM
in reply to: #978858

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

Speedwagon - 2007-09-25 1:40 PM  My main concern is keeping up my fitness level while trying to rest my knee as much as possible. Thanks again Speedwagon

Swim, bike, run (for a while, anyway, while you're getting your knee sorted).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » knee injury Rss Feed