General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Confused setting up bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-03 7:10 AM

User image

Subject: Confused setting up bike
I've been riding my Specialized Allez for a few months now and have slowly evolved it into something i feel at home on (well for the most part). The only thing i seem to have trouble with is my handlebar position and my clipless pedals.

Originally i found the bars to low and felt there was alot of my weight going right onto the front. to solve this i flipped the stem over and reversed the angle to make the bars higher.

now i'm feeling that i have to reach excessively far to the hoods which is way beyond comfortable, I ride most of the time with my hands actually about 3 inches further back than the hoods but still on top of the bars and this seems right.

question i'll probably get stick for at some point is it worth changing the stem to something shorter giving me a little more upright position which is comfortable or stick with what i've got to be a little more streamlined?

and secondly does anyone have trouble with the look cleats on their shoes moving even after being tightened?

2007-10-03 7:19 AM
in reply to: #989119

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Confused setting up bike
It's hard to say as you might be too stretched out reaching for the hoods or you might have trouble engaging your core to allow you to lean a little more. I would try your LBS for this as they should be fairly decent at looking at a road bike position and helping you dial in your fit.

As for Look cleats - this is fairly common, at least in my experience, but some locktite will fix things right up.

Shane
2007-10-03 8:03 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-10-03 8:09 AM

Master
You're going to here it quite a bit. Goto an LBS and get the bike Fit.

2007-10-03 8:46 AM

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Spend the money and get PROPERLY fitted on your bike. DO NOT take it in for a free "I'm not comfortable on my bike" consultation with the sales person. Spend the $100 and get comfortable.

Regarding the cleats - I was having some issues with my Speedplays. I read the maintenance manual, got the teflon spray stuff, and I am off and running (so to speak). Make sure you RTFM.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Confused setting up bike Rss Feed