General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim/race question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-31 5:37 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Swim/race question
Ok...Everyone says start to the outside, but what if you are a good swimmer? I started to the outside yesterday and felt a a big disadvantage. I was surrounded by people who either couldn't swim, were trying to run the swim (it was really low tide) and people who were doggie paddling. It took a while to get into a rhythm trying to swim around the walkers and I felt like I would have been better off around faster people who could swim. I'm not the fastest person in the swim, but the swim is probably my best event of the three. Since everyone passes me on the run I need to take every advantage I can get. Thanks in advance for any advice -S

2004-10-31 5:45 PM
in reply to: #77661

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Subject: RE: Swim/race question
I always line myself in the front ranks and on the outside. And I do mean in the front row. By being on the outside, I know I won't get boxed in and that I will have some clean water to one side of me. Also, I alway make sure I take the first 100 yds out HARD so I guarantee myself some "space." Otherwise, I'll be boxed in until my peers begin to fall off. First 100 yds sets up the rest of the swim for for me...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim/race question Rss Feed