Women's Advocates Inc.
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 34m 19s
Overall Rank = 142/232
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and had the normal Baker's Breakfast Cookie. Took some Advil to ward off the IT band issues. I had picked up our race numbers and shirts the night before, so we (the husband and I) didn't get to the race very early. We met up with Autumn, her husband, and their small herd of small elephants. :) (See pics in autumn's report) We missed Ian though, which was a major bummer.
Event warmup:

Desperately tried to keep warm in the brisk wind by jumping around and stretching.
Run
  • 34m 19s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first trail run and I really liked it! Watching my step made me think less about my huffing and puffing! :) Keeping cool was not a problem for this race, as it was pretty brisk outside. I'm ok with my time; 11:03 miles are decent for me, especially considering this was a trail run.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up a bit more with actual running rather than just jumping around.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit to fend off the impending asthma attack and then stretched legs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. I did ok for me.

Event comments:

I really did have fun at this race, but they definitely need more people to run it in the future. There were not enough volunteers, and it was difficult to identify those that were there. The kids run and the 5k both started late, the 5k by almost a half hour. Also, there were not water bottles available at the end, but rather one overwhelmed guy pouring water from gallon jugs into cups (and they ran out of cups at that). But I did really like my first trail run, and I got to hang out with Autumn and family! :)

The first picture is Autumn and me trying to stay warm waiting for the race to begin. The second one is me and my husband right after the race. Yes, my face always gets that red when I run. :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-10-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:34:19 | 03.1 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 142/232
Performance: Average
Course: 5k trail run through the Lake Elmo Park Reserve. The vast majority of this race actually was on trails, with short parts on bike paths. One fairly big hill near the beginning, with rest being rolling hills. A few muddy spots on the trail, but not bad.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-11-01 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: The Great Pumpkin Chase

2004-11-01 9:43 AM
in reply to: #77811

Expert
Princeton, MN
Subject: RE: The Great Pumpkin Chase
Hey! Now I recognise those 2 shivering people!
Well done on finishing. I'm glad you enjoyed the experience despite the shortcomings.
We'll get to meet up somewhere

Ian
2004-11-01 10:30 AM
in reply to: #77811

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: The Great Pumpkin Chase
you did great, kelly! you realize that 11 min miles on a trail is about the same effort as 10 min miles on a road race? when we were waiting around at the awards ceremony, i overheard a woman saying that on a track she usually runs around 8-9 min miles, but that she ran about 11-12 min miles at the trail run (it was her first). it is fun though! great to see you guys at the race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Great Pumpkin Chase Rss Feed