General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 411 on hydration belts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-22 12:33 PM

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Subject: 411 on hydration belts
So, I've started doing some research, and I'm overwhelmed with all the options. I want some real world advice - what features would you look for? How many bottles would you go for? Brands you'd shy away from? Is the gel flask a good idea? etc, etc.

For background, I'm training for a half-mary, and hope to go on to train for a mary after that. Up until this fall, I really wasn't running long enough to worry about such things. But since I'm somewhat pokey and up to about 7 miles now, and it's the fall, so there are no water fountains turned on anymore, I'm feeling like I need something. I have begun using gels as well. But, I've got no problem throwing one or two in a pocket.

Thanks!

2007-10-22 12:36 PM
in reply to: #1018719

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: RE: 411 on hydration belts

DeannaS - 2007-10-22 12:33 PM So, I've started doing some research, and I'm overwhelmed with all the options. I want some real world advice - what features would you look for? How many bottles would you go for? Brands you'd shy away from? Is the gel flask a good idea? etc, etc. For background, I'm training for a half-mary, and hope to go on to train for a mary after that. Up until this fall, I really wasn't running long enough to worry about such things. But since I'm somewhat pokey and up to about 7 miles now, and it's the fall, so there are no water fountains turned on anymore, I'm feeling like I need something. I have begun using gels as well. But, I've got no problem throwing one or two in a pocket. Thanks!

Have a 3 bottle w/gel flask and 8 bottle fuel belts.  I got the 10 oz bottles and a key/pocket cuz mine are older but think those are standard these days.  I could pack about 10 gels in the packet for my 50k last week.  If you know how much ya sweat and how long you intend to go, might help narrow down the choices, but big fan of the fuel belt here.

2007-10-22 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Oceanside
I just ran my 1st half-mary yesterday and used an Amphipod Run Lite Trail Runner. It has a small fanny pack that I put my gels, chap-stick, and tissues in. (Japn is famous for not having TP). I used two 10.5 oz bottles but you can easily add more if you want. The nice thing about the Amphipod line is that the bottles are flexible so getting them in and out of the holder is pretty darn easy. I started my training with a camel-pack and it was really a pain so I'm really happy with this set-up. Good luck!!!

www.amphipod.com for all the products available although I didn't buy directly from them

Edited by drtrouta 2007-10-22 12:41 PM
2007-10-22 12:40 PM

User image

Runner

Well, I use a Camelback, one of the 48 oz. waist models.  I put 2 Fuel Belt 8 oz. flasks on it now, and fill those with whatever.  Works perfectly well for my needs, I can carry wallet, phone, keys, cash, whatever.  I've used it alot when I run to work for carrying the aforementioned items. 

Admittedly, my needs are different than yours, so take that into consideration.  I will do 15 milers or less with no support items.  I hate gels, and almost never use them. 

2007-10-22 12:41 PM

User image

Melon Presser

I treat shopping for hydration gear almost like shopping for shoes. Go somewhere where they will let you try them on and run around in them. Not the same as having liquid/gel/gears loaded onto them, but you can feel whether they're too/little elastic, if they ride up, whether the bottles brush against your elbow, whether you can move them, or if you're better off with 2, 3, or 4-bottle options or interchangeable.

DeannaS - 2007-10-22 12:33 PM So, I've started doing some research, and I'm overwhelmed with all the options. I want some real world advice - what features would you look for? How many bottles would you go for? Brands you'd shy away from? Is the gel flask a good idea? etc, etc. For background, I'm training for a half-mary, and hope to go on to train for a mary after that. Up until this fall, I really wasn't running long enough to worry about such things. But since I'm somewhat pokey and up to about 7 miles now, and it's the fall, so there are no water fountains turned on anymore, I'm feeling like I need something. I have begun using gels as well. But, I've got no problem throwing one or two in a pocket. Thanks!

2007-10-22 12:44 PM
in reply to: #1018746

User image

Master
Madison, WI
You have a point, TriAya - I have practically no waist (meaning I'm one of those straight bodied types, not one of those teeny waist types) and I could see having issues finding on that stays put and doesn't get in the way of my arms.... Hm.....

2007-10-22 1:03 PM

Yes, as I rather enjoyed my 5-mile run yesterday, which is a lot for me, I can see myself working up beyond that so I am wondering what kind I should ask for for Christmas...(I've just enrolled in our companies 401K plan, so while it's great that I'm saving for retirement, I don't have a whole ton of extra spending cash each month).
2007-10-22 1:47 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Hey ya Deanna -

I got a Fuel Belt 2 bottle with a little itty bitty pouch. I really only run with one bottle (leave the other home) for when I go 5-6 miles which takes me 50-60 mins so I want some water at some point. Since I go out running just out of bed, I try to gulp down some water before heading out but its not much.

So far, I'm not too please with it. Ok, so it's a little bottle and I like it in that it does not bounce around like a big bottle but I had it leak once all over my jacket (so I don't fill it to the brim) and then at times it seems to inch up to my belly button/waist vs. lower down and it bugs me at times. I can push it down but my bum must be protruding too far that as I run it just launches the band off my lower waist. I don't like carrying a bottle much because I tend to grab onto it with too much force wasting energy. So the waist belt is an improvement but still not ideal. But I'm new to using it so will give it longer to grow on me.

Edited by BbMoozer 2007-10-22 1:47 PM
2007-10-22 2:00 PM
in reply to: #1018860

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Thanks for the feedback, Sarah - I'm concerned about that sort of thing, too. I carry a wallet when running home from work, and I had to remind myself regularly to not clench when I first started doing it, but I'm pretty good at keeping it loose now. So, I might be able to get away with just carrying a bottle. But, I thought the slosh factor might annoy me more in my hand than on my body.

Maybe after trying some out at a store, I'll try to find a cheap used one on Ebay or something. I can always replace the bottles, right? I hate the idea of spending money on something and then hating it.
2007-10-22 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
DeannaS - 2007-10-22 10:33 AM

So, I've started doing some research, and I'm overwhelmed with all the options. I want some real world advice - what features would you look for? How many bottles would you go for? Brands you'd shy away from? Is the gel flask a good idea? etc, etc.

For background, I'm training for a half-mary, and hope to go on to train for a mary after that. Up until this fall, I really wasn't running long enough to worry about such things. But since I'm somewhat pokey and up to about 7 miles now, and it's the fall, so there are no water fountains turned on anymore, I'm feeling like I need something. I have begun using gels as well. But, I've got no problem throwing one or two in a pocket.

Thanks!

I have a Fuel Belt which has a velcro pouch in the back for gels, keys, etc. The Fuel Belt itself has several problems:

• The bottles fall out fairly easily when you're not wearing the belt, like in the trunk of the car.
  • The bottles aren't held that securely anyway; I've had to run back a few times for bottles that fell out.
  • Sometimes I've needed two hands to put the bottles back in the elastics.
  • The bottles have a small mouth and are hard to fill.
  • The pouch is too small for both car keys and several gels
  • I have an older one with four 6-ounce bottles. That's not enough for a multi-hour run. So I'll start out carrying a bottle as well; when that empties I'll stash it somewhere on an out and back or trail run, or I'll using a disposable bottle and toss it.
  • I tend to have to hold my arms spread out a bit to avoid running my elbows into the bottles on the side.

• At the Portland Marathon expo, I found a better solution for both bottles and gels: an Amphipod "RunLite Trail Endurance". I spent about 30 minutes examining various types, and settled on this model.

It holds two 10.5oz bottles, and has a large storage capacity pocket (80 cu in) in back with two zippered compartments, and a bungee to hold things on the outside if needed. There's a hook inside to clip your car keys so they won't fall out. Plus you can buy snap-on accessories for like more bottles gel pouches or gel flasks.

At Portland I put all my gels in the back and filled both bottles with a Carbo Pro mix. I yanked the bungee tight to keep things from bouncing. I was super happy with this solution. There was no bouncing, no rattling, the bottles were easy to detach/attach while running, etc. Getting a gel was easy - I reached back with my left hand to unzip the compartment, fished out a gel with my right hand, and zipped it back up.

Yesterday I went for a 12+ mile near marathon pace 90 minute out-and-back training run. The pocket held

• two gels (although I only ate one)
  • my car key (it's a funky big remote thing)
  • chapstick
  • wallet (small one)
  • cell phone (Samsung Blackjack)

• I had 21 ounces of GE / Carbo Pro mix in the two bottles. It got a little warm for my jacket, so I took it off and bungied it to the back. That resulted in a little bouncing, but I cinched the belt a bit tighter and the bouncing stopped. Later I put my gloves in the pocket too.

That was my first long-ish training run with the Amphipod and I was very happy with it. I intend to buy some more 10.5 ounce bottles and bottle clips and see how easy running with 42 ounces is around my waist - two bottles in back, two in front. Then I wouldn't have to carry anything in my hands.

I've also ran with my Camelback. That's good on easy runs, but at higher RPE it's just too hard for me to suck on the tube....

Edited by brucemorgan 2007-10-22 2:14 PM
    2007-10-22 2:47 PM
    in reply to: #1018746

User image

Master
    Fort Worth
    TriAya - 2007-10-22 10:41 AM

I treat shopping for hydration gear almost like shopping for shoes. Go somewhere where they will let you try them on and run around in them. Not the same as having liquid/gel/gears loaded onto them, but you can feel whether they're too/little elastic, if they ride up, whether the bottles brush against your elbow, whether you can move them, or if you're better off with 2, 3, or 4-bottle options or interchangeable.

If you have a Road Runner Store near you that would help. They have several options of belts there and they have treadmills so you can try it out and see what works for you, not just for shoes. 

2007-10-22 3:59 PM

User image

Master
    Canton, Michigan
    I've dealt with water bottle fanny packs and have had issues with them not fitting quite right or having bottles fall out. So I recently picked up a Camelbak Flasflo, with a 40 or 45 oz reservoir and a couple pockets on it that hold the car keys, small map (only when I'm running in an unfamiliar spot), cell phone, etc. And it works great for long runs, I usually use it on my trail runs.

With the straps it's easy to get on your waist and adjusted with no real bouncing issues. The only thing I have to do is tighten down the two adjustment straps as I drink water, usually just a quick pull a couple times during an hour to 90 minute run is all that's needed and it's easy to do as your on the go, and real easy to drink from. Wish I would've gotten one sooner.
    2007-10-22 4:06 PM

User image

Champion
    MA

One thing you need to consider is what your sweat rate is and how much you'll drink on  your long runs....which determines what capacity you need. The other thing to consider is what your hydration plan will be for your race.

I have three different systems..fuel belt, amphipod, and a hand held water bottle holder from Nathan that I bought at Dicks.

I bought amphipod first and seems so adjustable and great, but the bottles frequently fall out and it is VERY annoying.

I replaced it with a fuelbelt with 6 bottles and like it but when setting up strategy for my HIM run realized it wouldn't hold enough so I needed to depend on aid station for more hydration so I went with hand held bottle.

Training with hand held bottle was a bit tricky logistically as I was working on drinking 2 water bottles an hour or 48 oz/hour which means I had to refill every 30 minutes but this would work well come race day. I made a route that was 5.5 miles long with a stop at my local Y at about 32-34 minutes would fill up water, then again at home. I did this to practice for the race my hydration/nutrition. I wouldn't do this long term.

I'd go back to my fuel belt once I start long runs again if the time I'll be out there is close to the capacity of the holders. Stopping and having to fill up 4-6 little bottles takes way more time than one 24 oz water bottle.

If you go to a store that sells them, see if they'll put water in them and let you put it on and see how it feels to run with it. Some feel great others not so great.

2007-10-22 4:17 PM

Regular
    NorCal, near Lake Tahoe, Ca
    I have the 4 bottle Amphipod belt. I use the 8 oz. bottles. The 10.5 oz ones just seemed too big. I like having multiple bottles because I can carry some sports drink and some water. I haven't found any problems with the bottles staying on the clips. It's also a pretty short learning curve on taking them out and putting them back in without looking.

I also have used the fanny pack style Camelbak. I put 2 Amphipod clips on it so I can carry a total of 16 oz of sports drink along with my water. The only reason I don't use it exclusively is that I think it would be too hard to coordinate putting on during a race and I want to train as I race. I've used the Amphipod belt in an oly. It was very quick and easy to put on after the bike.
    2007-10-22 7:37 PM

User image

Expert
    Wind Lake WI
    I have a 4 bottle fuel belt and can't imagine running without it. It holds 40 oz of H20, I can fit gels and keys in the pocket and I like the reflective areas for running at dusk.
    2007-10-22 7:47 PM

User image

Champion
    Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I have one of the new 4 bottle fuel belts with a middle pouch and I love it for long runs and marathons.  The bottles have a better shape so are easier to get into the holder than they used to be.  They do still leak if you do not screw the lid on properly, but it is not troublesome enough for me to search for another alternative.

If you do not have someone to provide bottle swaps for you (I do) during racing, I think you will need one of the larger volume fuel belts.  I usually go through 7-8 bottles in a typical marathon.

2007-10-22 7:59 PM

User image

Master
    Falls Church, Virginia
    I'm still working on finding a hydration system I like. But, I wanted to give you a little feedback on the the Fuel Belt I tried. I am one of those tiny waist people, and boy does it suck for a fuel belt. No matter what the belt travels up to the natural waist, which makes the bottles bang into my elbows. If you're more straight up and down, you probably won't have that problem.
    2007-10-22 8:44 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
    I have an amphipod w/4 bottles and a sm pouch - haven't had it long ... I think I've run about 25 miles with it (?)

1) Wish I'd gotten the trail model with the bigger pouch built in - my pouch is small
    2) You can add, remove, move the bottles that are on the belt. You an also add pouches but not the big trail model pouch.
    3) The bottles snap in firmly but still require some looking to remove. I expect as I use it more I'll get the right wrist snap movement.
    4) There are 3 positions on the bottle opening, closed, half closed, open. I didn't discover this until after my long run Saturday. Not sure why, will experiment later. They are a bit tough to open / close with your teeth.
    5) I put a lightweight hat & 3 gus in the tiny pouch.
    6) It rides up off my hips to my waist. The gal in the store had a waist:hip ratio of approximately 1, I should not have listened to her when she said it rode right on her hips and never moved. If you have a narrower waist than hips, it will ride up unless you are wearing very rough clothing. Most of my stuff is synthetic and so it slides right up to my waist. So I just cinch it tight and move the bottles around to where they aren't in the way.
    7) It doesn't bounce on my waist, but it did when I tried to wear it around my hips/bottom. I guess I just have a bouncy bottom. It rode up there anyway so it didn't matter.
    8) w/4 bottles it has more water than 2 hand carry bottles, so it is a reasonable substitute for me.

Good luck.
    2007-10-22 9:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Tampa, FL

I have the amphipod that looks like this.  I don't like that it bounces if I don't have it tight enough.  It I cinch it up too tight then it bothers my stomach.  I'm not sure if there is a product that would be any different though. 

2007-10-22 9:46 PM
    in reply to: #1018740

User image

Master
    Running trails in S. Ontario

drtrouta - 2007-10-22 1:40 PM I just ran my 1st half-mary yesterday and used an Amphipod Run Lite Trail Runner. It has a small fanny pack that I put my gels, chap-stick, and tissues in. (Japn is famous for not having TP). I used two 10.5 oz bottles but you can easily add more if you want. The nice thing about the Amphipod line is that the bottles are flexible so getting them in and out of the holder is pretty darn easy. I started my training with a camel-pack and it was really a pain so I'm really happy with this set-up. Good luck!!! www.amphipod.com for all the products available although I didn't buy directly from them

x2 Amphipod makes the best bottle hydration systems, nice ergo designs, and great quality. I love mine!

2007-10-23 6:08 AM

User image

Elite
    Fishers, Indiana

I use the Nathan Muse bottle holder...it's made for women, and while skeptical, I've used it for well near 1000 miles this year.  It is 22 ozs, and I find that is about right for me for 10 miles to a 1/2 Mary, and then I take a water at a couple of stops too cool off or switch between my GU2O.  It has two pockets on the side that can fit plenty of gels, a small digital camera, keys, ID card, etc.  I had to play with the waist band at first, but was able to get it where it stays pretty much the whole time without sloshing or bouncing really. I do have to make sure the ring that is on the bottle is tucked into the pouch on the back so it doesn't start to slip out. I was really skeptical about this thing when I first bought it, but I have loved it since.  On some really long runs I can get a little bit of chaff near where it rubs on my back, but if I use a little Body Glide on that spot, no issues at all.  It's easy for me to grab out and put back in without any issues really.

Now, I will say, I want to look at some other options that have the mulitple smaller bottles and gel flask for some longer distances...but this one has stood up great. I haven't had a chance to wash it here due to my location, and it will get a bath when I get home...but it has been exactly what I needed.  The key was when I tightened it up to roll the excess waist band and use the holders to keep it.  Occassionally I'll have to tighten it during a run, but typically only once.  I like it.

2007-10-23 7:03 AM
    in reply to: #1019846

User image

Master
    Madison, WI
    Thanks for all the feedback folks. It sounds like my next step is to get myself to a store and try some out. I'll shoot for doing that tomorrow so I have something for my run this weekend. (Though I do have a hand bottle with strap - and I should probably try that option, too, eh?)
    2007-10-23 9:32 AM

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois
    for me its camelbak on the bike. 3L for those hot days and fuel belt for the run. I think the 3l camelbak would be too much for the run.
    2007-10-23 9:41 AM

User image

Science Nerd
    Redwood City, California

I got one of the new Fuel Belt Helium systems.  The bottles stay in pretty well both when I'm running and when it is sitting around my house.  I haven't had them fall out at all.  It also has a small pouch on it that I really like to put gels and car keys in (I can get two gels and my large VW remote in it).  It's comfortable and doesn't slide around.  I know that's a change from previous ones. 

I went with the four belt system.  Sometimes I only run with two of the bottles in (for my 6 - 9 mile runs).  For longer ones, I fill all of the bottles.  It's a little heavy and weird to run in at first with the bottles sloshing around, but you do get used to it.

I agree with going to a store that will let you try them out.  My tri store has the fuel belt system and amphipod. I didn't like the amphipod system as much, so I went with the fuel belt. 

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 411 on hydration belts Rss Feed