General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Has anyone started triathlon training without... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-05 10:23 AM

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis, MN
Subject: Has anyone started triathlon training without...
knowing how to swim?

I just found this web site. It looks great!

I am a 41 year old male. Three years ago I decided to get active and get in shape. I took up martial arts. This past summer I added in-line skating. Then I was invited to run in a charity event in late September. I hadn't run more than a mile since high school, and never was a good runner. But I was able to train for a month before the event and ran a 10K in just under an hour. By searching for run training information on the web, I kept bumping into people on forums who did triathlons and I felt challenged to see just what I could do. I stopped eating junk food and started eating properly this past summer (70% carbs, 20% protein, 10% fat) and went from 215 pounds to 180 pounds. I want to lose another 10 pounds by Christmas.

I have a free membership to a health club through the company I work for, so I can train treadmills, stationary bikes, and pool workouts through the winter. I've been researching endurance training and will be starting base building in January with the goal of working toward an Olympic length triathlon by the end of next summer. Possibly train for a half-ironman the next year. But I'm not sure I would be able to put in the time to do that distance. We'll see.

My biggest problem is I don't know how to swim. I have a good idea of what steps are needed because my kids have been through swim lessons. For the past three weeks I've been working on it. I can swim across the 25 meter pool with an elementary backstroke. I can swim a few yards with a back crawl. My biggest problem with the front crawl is breathing. Yesterday I actually was able to take three breaths with the front crawl. I'm hoping to get some free instruction from experienced swimmers at the club, and I'll be checking out possibilities for paid lessons.

2004-11-05 10:39 AM
in reply to: #79409

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Has anyone started triathlon training without...
Welcome to BT! and yes, although it sounds like you already know a bit about swimming. Yes, get a few pointers, but the main thing is to jsut spend as much time in the water as possible and get to relax and be able to swim slowly and comfortably.
  Good luck!
2004-11-05 11:39 AM

User image

Veteran
MA
Hi,
You are not the only one. Many, many people start in tris without knowing how to swim. You have plenty of time -- you can do it!
Have you looked for adult swim classes in your area? You will probably make the most progress at this point working with a teacher or a coach.
Deb
2004-11-05 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Findlay OH
GO FOR IT!!!

Some swim lessons would be a good idea. You are actually lucky to not have any bad habits to break yet. So get some lessons before you develop any.

Most of us spend time and effort breaking the habits we've developed over years of swimming just to not drown.

2004-11-05 5:16 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Welcome!  Lots of people start tri training without any swim background or even any idea how to swim.  check out master's swim clubs and consider looking at the book Total Immersion (everyone here calls it TI).  Or hire a coach like you said.  You'll be fine - it can only get better!
2004-11-07 11:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I'll ditto the many people start out trainnig for tri's not knowing how to swim. You already have the dedication [your fitness accomplishments are proof alone].

I would recommend taking swimming lesson through a local community college, health club [ymca], or if there's a masters team out there [they'd be my best recommended option, but hardest to find and dedicated time to]. either one of those three would work.

i learned how to swim while training for my tri. i asked for tips and pointers from the members of my health club... and although i was swimming, i learned the wrong way and continued to practice inefficient strokes for a whole year. CORRECTING THIS was harder than learning how to swim... so my tip to you would be learn it right the first time around.

lots of luck, hope this helps! :0)

Milly

2004-11-08 8:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Townsville
i have heard of a few people not knowing how to swim. Steve Jonas...interesting author on tri's did not know how to swim very well when he bagan at the tender age of 40 something.

I have heard of one bloke not knowing how to ride a bike!!!!
2004-11-08 9:34 AM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

I did not know how to swim when I started all this.  As a kid I had really bad ears and just was never allowed to go swimming, at least put my head under water.  So, when I mean I didn't know how to swim I really didn't at all.  I got some ear plugs custom made from an ear doctor and bought the Total Immersion book.  For weeks I studied the darn thing.  I knew when I got in the pool I was going to "press my buoy" and get my legs up, breath on both sides, blah, blah.  When I finally got in the pool.  I sunk like a stone.  On my first lap my goggles broke so I swam with no goggles.  My eyes stung and I couldn't see the clock, I freaked out, I couldn't count laps, and forgot everything I read.  I was miserable.  For the rest of the day at work I couldn't see.  Turns out I lost a contact.  Boy - Swimming was really wonderful

I tried a few more times and realized I wasn't getting anywhere on my own so I bought 5 lessons at my gym for $100.  Best thing I did.  Now I am no Ian Thorpe but I can comfortably swim up to two miles non stop and have gotten to where I really like being in the pool.  My first tri was a 1k ocean swim about 3 months after getting in the pool for the first time.  I placed in the top 30% in the swim.  If I can do it, anybody can. 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Has anyone started triathlon training without... Rss Feed