General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elbow pain while swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-05 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Elbow pain while swimming
I don't feel it's an injury yet, but I have been experiencing pain in the inner side of my left elbow. This happens usually in the beginning of my swim workout and basically goes away (or I get used to it).

I am not sure if it has to do with mechanics (this is my weaker arm, that is, the side opposite to which I breathe) or just adjustments my body is making (I've been been swimming for only a little over three months).

Any idea what this pain might be?

FĂ©lix

Edited by dragoman 2004-11-05 4:13 PM

2004-11-11 5:29 PM
in reply to: #79561

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Elbow pain while swimming
Felix,

I don't know your history of body injuries. That said, it sounds to me like its the way you must be swimming, especially since you're relatively new to swimming.

If its on the weak side, and you're breathing on the side that you're dominant with... then it must be form related.

Have you been taking swim classes? If you have, maybe you want to look at joining a masters swim team- they offer more individualized coaches most of the time. IF those aren't possibilities... why don't you get a friend to videotape you swimming in the pool. that way, you can evaluate your own form and see what the issue is exactly.

good luck with this, and i hope one of thse suggestions help out! Keep me posted,

Milly
2004-11-20 12:59 AM

User image

Little Rock, Arkansas
I think gr8brindle has hit the nail on the head. I think this is a form issue as well as an issue of your body adapting and getting used to swimming. From everything I have researched, having good form in the water is the key to a good swim. I would second her recommendation that you look into masters swim workouts or even getting a coach. With pointers from experienced swimmers, you'll not only learn how to avoid injuries, you'll also learn how to swim faster and better. If you can't find a coach or swim club, look at some of the swim articles posted on this and other websites. They should give you some good pointers on what to look for in your form, as well as giving you workouts and drills to help you improve your swim.
2004-11-20 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
I had a talk with my master's coach, and he said that it might be that I am not pushing out fully on that side at the end of the stroke. In fact, he held my arm in the position in which he noticed my arm leaving the water and, guess what, this "awkward" position hurt right in the area where I had been feeling pain!

I'm now on vacation and trying to find some time and a place to swim before I go back home. I will definitely see if his approach (extending the arm fully in the water before having it leave the water) works.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elbow pain while swimming Rss Feed