General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I a triathlete? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-02 1:53 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Am I a triathlete?
I run, I swim, I bike. Maybe a total of 9 hrs a week. I never compete. Am I a triathlete?
TW

2004-02-02 3:29 PM
in reply to: #5776

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Am I a triathlete?
Yes raise a very interesting question my friend. I also swim and run and cycle...but I do not consider myself a triathlete because I have never done a real triathlon. On the other hand, if you prefer to think of yoursef as a triathlete...why not? You do participate in all three disciplines. If you jog and do not compete, you are still a jogger, so why not?
2004-02-02 3:41 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

I think you are what you think you are.  I myself have the goal of completing triathlons and don't consider myself a triathlete until I finish the first one.  I would not tell anyone I was a triathlete before I finished a race.  That is me personally and my goals are to race or rather compete. 

If my goals are not to race but to just exercise and I swim, bike and run during the week I would probably describe myself as being pretty athletic but wouldn't call myself a triathlete, swimmer, cyclist or runner.  Probably more because to say each one of these or all three together implies competition in meets/races.  Not that it has to be or even needs to be.  In the end I think you are what you think you are.  I am an athlete working on becoming a triathlete.

2004-02-02 4:52 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
If this gets to personal and you choose not to answer, don't answer.

But, why don't you compete?
It sounds like you have a great base and would do very well in competion. Other than that, I would say I too have never competed, however, I'm currently training to compete and I consider my self a triahtlete. Granted I am a beginner, and so I would say that there may be ones out there that would say that in order to consider yourself a triathlete you must compete. I don't think you'll find that here, as most of us are just starting out.
JR
2004-02-02 5:43 PM
in reply to: #5787

User image

Elite
Hi Y.

Many people need a goal for motivation. Competition satisfies that need. I seem to keep up the exercise routine without any goals other than to just go. Maybe someday I will do a sprint tri event. AARP holds tris. I am eligible agewise and my volume would get me through it.

I don't consider myself a triathlete, or an athlete at all. If I did compete, I would finish in the back of the pack. Lacking athletic ability does not, however, absolve me from the need to exercise. If I plan to eat today, I ought to plan on exercise too.

I choose to run/bike/swim mainly because the variety allows me to keep up the volume without getting overuse injuries. At my age (52) that is an issue.

I'm headed for the pool. Have fun and stay in touch.
TW
2004-02-02 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Maybe you're "tri-athletic"?!! ;-) I will offer that "competing" (purely with myself) offers me a goal to shoot for and keeps me excited about training. Also keeps me from developing a "spud-like" carcass :-O . The competition was a blast, b/c the group I came in with was a blast. It is an opportunity to meet some fun folks who are doing the sport for a variety of reasons.
Vanessa

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I a triathlete? Rss Feed