General Discussion Triathlon Talk » fracured tibia/meniscus tear/acl=no ins. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-05 1:48 PM

Subject: fracured tibia/meniscus tear/acl=no ins.
hello all,i found this forum in my search for some answers on what to do as i injured myself good. i took a hard faal with my right knee in the locked position and fractured my tibia,bucket handle tear in the medial meniscus .i have no insurance and i paid a surgeon here in n.j. to repair the meniscus and after the surgery he says he rmoved a bucket handle tear out of my medial meniscus and he examined my acl just incase since the mri said it was fine.well, he says although my acl is perfectly aligned he was able to make a u-turn with it with a hooked tool,thus it being a grade 3 tear.he says i NEED to have it reconstructed in 6 weeks or so.
i just started p.t. and i havent been to work in 2 months [not geting paid] and my p.t. tested my good and my bad leg and says both have to much movement.but htey havent gave me trouble ever.
i read here in some searches that some dont get the acl reconstruct and just do hard p.t. for 6 months or so and be careful not to pivot much or not play hard sports.now me, i just run/bike and do some very light sports.im 32 years old and i am out of money paying for all of this.so can i put this off til i can get health insurance a year or so or not even get it fixed?thank you for any help in advance..

2007-11-05 8:09 PM
in reply to: #1038642

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Subject: RE: fracured tibia/meniscus tear/acl=no ins.
I have torn BOTH ACL's, and both repaired, I M not in your boat with the lack of insurance.

It is a tuff one to say - I would say hold out til insurance, but definitely look into the surgery. on the other hand, many old time players had their TRICK knees - probably tears - which they survived thru. Just had to compensate with massive amounts of PT to hold the joint steady. I have had several buddies have ACL surgeries, mine were 6 days after injury and 6 weeks after. I had friends who waited longer. Try to get some opinions regarding when you HAVE to do it, I M not sure how long you can wiat before it becomes a true problem.

AND yes avoid lateral moving and pivoting, that could hurt

GOOD LUCK
2007-11-19 10:26 PM

User image

Newport Beach
I am sorry to hear about your injuries. I have had three acl surgeries on my left knee in the last 2.5 years.

As far as waiting I am no medical expert but the advice that I got from my doctor is that you can wait to get it repaired but you don't want to wait too long. 6 months is ok, more then a year, probably not as good.

My dad had his acl torn when he was 13 and got it repaired when he was forty. He did play sports but it did go "out" as he like to call it, even with a acl brace. He has since had a partial knee replacement due to the damage the rest of the knee incured because he compensated for not having an acl.

I hope this helps and good luck to you in the future, be faithful to your pt because it will get you back faster.

Good Luck
2007-11-21 1:50 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
1-its not an emergency and can wait
2-DO NOT do cutting sports etc no skiing, football soccer ect no contact sports
3-straight ahead running biking swimming is proabably OK
4-get it fixed when you can afford it.  I wouldn't wait years and years at 32 but if you need to save up for it, or can get insurance its certainly reasonable to wait. 
2007-12-23 4:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
I broke my tibia in 2 places and my fib in 3 .. also during the surgery to put it all back together, they opened up the knee, lift the mcl and inserted a "tibial nail" down the center of the tib.. screwed it in 2 places and replaced all the knee pieces and sewed me back up.. that happened in April 2002.. with extensive PT and a lot of hardwork just to walk again.. I wasn't able to run until september/october 2002.. I wasn't able to compete at all in 2003.. i ran a few 5Ks and just tried to stay standing.. My only advice to you is you can do it without the reconstruct.. but it will take a bit .. knees heal veerrrry slowly .. espaecially with the running/biking stress you still put them through.. but depends on how many races you anticipate on doing in 08.. are you a pro ? is there a lot of money at stake if you don't compete ? big picture thinking will help you better.. what are you racing for ?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » fracured tibia/meniscus tear/acl=no ins. Rss Feed