General Discussion Triathlon Talk » just moved to vancouver Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-06 10:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Vancouver, WA
Subject: just moved to vancouver
I just moved from annapolis, maryland to vancouver, washington, and was wondering if anyone knew about local pools around the vancouver/portland area. i started trying to find one on google and got a bit overwhelmed, so i thought i'd start here instead.

thanks,
julie

2007-11-06 11:24 AM
in reply to: #1039994

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Subject: RE: just moved to vancouver

Hello there. Welcome to Washington! I managed to find a couple of local pools, not sure if you know about these already or not.

http://www.ci.vancouver.wa.us/parks-recreation/sports/aquatics/pools.htm 

These might be the only 2 in the Vancouver area, unless you join a gym?  

2007-11-07 3:10 PM

New user
Vancouver, WA
Welcome! I moved to Vancouver, WA from Baltimore, MD a few years ago. The weather is worse, but the people are nicer

I swim at Club Green Meadows www.clubgreenmeadows.com If you don't know your way around the area all that well yet the closest major intersection is 78th street and Andresen Ave. I like it, but we use the gym and other stuff as well, so may be pricey if you're just looking for a good place to swim.

Again welcome and hope you're loving it!

~Cat
2007-11-08 11:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Vancouver, WA
Propstra Pool is also nice if you are just looking for a lap pool for swimming. It is usually a group of masters swimmers in the AM, but there was always room. I used to swim there until last year when we joined LA Fitness. We wanted to take advantage of the other services that they have.

Welcome!

2007-11-09 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Vancouver, WA
thanks for the welcome and suggestions. i found this swimmersguide website that listed about 8 pools, including propstra (hard name, eh?), Hough, Marshall, and Firstenburg. I looked at all the pools' websites and they are incredibly restrictive on lap swim times. I'm used to a huge pool basically dedicated to lap swimming from 6am-10pm; spoiled I guess!

again, thanks for the advice; i'll probably look into joinging a gym that has more than just a pool.

since we're on the subject of vancouver, are there any training groups around here, official or unofficial, or is everyone kind of lumped into Portland?

2007-11-09 8:48 PM

User image

Regular

Hi Julie! There are a few groups that I know of. Portland Tri Club, Gecos (both are based in Portland) and we have a group from our Marathon group VancouverFit that gets together for swims, runs and rides.

As for the swimming and lap swims....your right, very limited to times and length. Good luck in finding a pool/gym that has longer and more frequent lap swims. You will probably need to drive out to Beaverton for that. I belong to Marshall Center and just do my best to make their lap swim times work for me. Starting in May we start our open water swimming at Klineline and your more than welcome to come and join us! We have different level swimmers so it is a really good time. Feel free to PM me if I can help you out in any way.

Randy

2007-12-15 1:24 PM
in reply to: #1045559

User image

Julie,

Propstra ("hard name" after the late George Propstra of Burgerville, and area philanthropist) currently has lap swimming from 5:30a - 10:00a M-F & 5:30p - 8:00p M-Th. Sat 7:30 - Noon, Sun 11:00 - 2:00p.

It's also the cooler of the pools in the area @ 82~83 degrees. Invigorating for the first 30 seconds, then feels great during your w/o.

Good Luck and Welcome to the Pacific NorthWET!

2007-12-25 2:41 PM

User image

Julie, on 164th in Vancouver is Bally's Fitness. They have a 25 meter indoor pool and an outdoor pool that's covered during the colder months.

Good luck and welcome to Vancouver. Some good runs around here are the Hood To Coast 197 mile relay race, Helvetia Half Marathon and the Shamrock Run, not to mention teh Portland marathon.

Rodney
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » just moved to vancouver Rss Feed