General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Advice Please! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-08 1:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Dublin, Ireland
Subject: Training Advice Please!
Any coaches or vets that can lend some advice would be a huge help.

13 months ago I was and probably still am a beginner. Over these months I have completed 2 sprints, 4 Olympic, 2 marathon (Dublin & New York) and a 70.3. I am down for IM Austria July 08, and want to know if I should take a break between now and Jan seeing that I have not had one since Sept 06. The programs for the marathons were 18 weeks long each and the IM 70.3 was a 20 week program.

If I do need a break should it be no training at all or should I be doing some maintenance.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Simon

2007-11-12 4:59 AM
in reply to: #1044148

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: RE: Training Advice Please!

Congrats on a great year of racing. You definitely have put your body through some stress this year.  I would say that if training is getting stressful then a break is in order.  I would assume that you had a recovery week after your long races this year.

I don't believe that a complete break from training for an extended period is necessary. Swimming and biking are always great recovery, your body probably needs the most rest from the pounding  associated with the running.

This year I did my 1st Olympic, first Marathon, first HIM and first IM at Wisconsin. The best thing I did for myself was to hire a coach. It took a lot of the "Am I training enough?" pressure off me and made each workout more specific to my next race while keeping my IM training in check.

I hope this answers your question. The off season is a time to work on your weaknesses and not be stressed about training. Good luck with IM Austria!! I hope to do that race sometime, it looks like a spectacular venue!! 

2007-11-12 6:14 AM
in reply to: #1044148

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Training Advice Please!
If you haven't had a break for more than a year, then I would suggest a break is definitely in order. Typically I will recommend between 4 and 8 weeks for my athletes depending on their situation.

During this time, you should be doing some unstructured work, SBR when you feel like it and sprinkle in some other activities you enjoy but haven't had a chance to do much of during the season. You basically want to stay active but take away the stress of having to follow a plan and allow yourself to not workout if you don't feel like it.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Advice Please! Rss Feed