General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon on The Biggest Loser Tuesday? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-11-14 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1052612

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Triathlon on The Biggest Loser Tuesday?

TerryW - 2007-11-14 10:03 AM I told my wife the same thing. They should have been running sooner off the bike and swimming faster off the run. There was no advantage to Kae. They should have timed each event then added the times to get the winner. 1k swim in 40 laps made the pool 40ft long. I wonder if it was down was 1 lap and back was another lap. That would make more sense. It would be 20 down and back laps and that makes it a 25yd. pool. I love all the before pictures that keep popping up. You just don't realize how far they have come until you see those photos.

I was thinking that they were messing up laps with lengths,  25 meters * 40 lengths = 1k. 

And WTF was the deal with using metrics, my wife kept on asking me, "how far it that"!

I knew as soon as the swim started who was going to win the deal, she had good form on her strokes. 

2007-11-14 9:20 AM
in reply to: #1047852

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

Still, I am glad it was almost a real full race, distance wise. The run was a little short, the swim a little long, lack of T's, but think about how hard some of us have had to work to do our first sprint ri!  They are awesome.

Amy did look adorable, and I hope she is not the twit the show made her out to be. I am hoping they just edited it that way for drama's sake.

Kae rocks. the only one who didn;t eat the donuts! 

2007-11-14 9:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC
My husband was laughing at me because I was ranting that the tri was unfair.  I think it should have been done based on time.  I love the show and watch every week.  Bob is my favorite trainer, but in the end, they all rock.
2007-11-14 9:27 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Totally agree that the tri should have been based on time, but judging from how Hollie totally smoked them in the pool, it probably would not have made much difference.

I was happy to see Amy go.  I hated Neil after that gaining 17lbs stunt, but I have started to like him a bit more now. 

I don't think "B" has a chance to last much longer with that annoying trainer.  Jillian ROCKS.  I am sure she would so make me cry during a workout!

Edited by dodgersmom 2007-11-14 9:28 AM
2007-11-14 9:30 AM
in reply to: #1052628

User image

Extreme Veteran
Donto - 2007-11-14 9:12 AM

TerryW - 2007-11-14 10:03 AM I told my wife the same thing. They should have been running sooner off the bike and swimming faster off the run. There was no advantage to Kae. They should have timed each event then added the times to get the winner. 1k swim in 40 laps made the pool 40ft long. I wonder if it was down was 1 lap and back was another lap. That would make more sense. It would be 20 down and back laps and that makes it a 25yd. pool. I love all the before pictures that keep popping up. You just don't realize how far they have come until you see those photos.

I was thinking that they were messing up laps with lengths,  25 meters * 40 lengths = 1k. 

And WTF was the deal with using metrics, my wife kept on asking me, "how far it that"!

I knew as soon as the swim started who was going to win the deal, she had good form on her strokes. 

Don't be dissing the metric system! I believe Americans and maybe a couple really small countries are the only ones left that don't use the metric system. Get with the times, so we can all use the same system! : )
2007-11-14 9:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Crossville, TN
They used metrics because 24k sounds a lot longer than 14.5 miles. They said Hollie was a swim coach in a high school. They was real fair......

2007-11-14 9:52 AM
in reply to: #1052471

User image

Expert
Montana
djdavey - 2007-11-14 7:06 AM

autigers_1998 - 2007-11-12 9:02 AM

Shoeless - 2007-11-12 12:16 AM How fast would I gain weight if I quit tri training?

I'm not sure if this is a serious question or not but it depends on how much change you're had in your life since you started tri training. I've lost 30 lbs since last July and I thought it was mainly because of my training but then I realized all the lifestyle changes that come with tri training. I eat better when I'm training....I keep training because I like it and I continue to eat better because it affects my training when I don't. I can't eat like we used to, I feel awful for hours afterwards. 

I like the show too, my husband thinks I'm weird. Anyway, last season they did one also. It was short, something like 200/6/2. It seems really short for us but for those folks it seemed like the finish was unattainable and it was neat to see them finish and to have that sense of accomplishment.

to answer your not so serious question from above.......i would agree.  i did my first tri back in july and have been training seriously since then and have dropped 46 lbs (from 197 down to 151).  i totally eat much better now. even soda tastes terrible.  on top of that i am sleeping throughout the entire night for the first time in decades!!

Yup, that's what I meant. I know I'd gain a lot if I quit training! Even though I agree that the isolated lifestyle ont the BL isn't realistic, I do think it empowers these people to lose the weight. Once you've had a significant weightloss, the rest isn't so daunting.

I'm pleasantly suprised that they sent Amy home. With her attitude I have never considered her a 'threat'. She looks awesome, and I don't have to listen to her whine anymore! The other contestants made no bones about why they sent her home. WAHOO!

Heidi in Montana
2007-11-14 10:01 AM
in reply to: #1052429

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

saling4 - 2007-11-14 6:27 AM I watch TBL as well.  Jillian rocks!  My biggest problem with the show is that they ONLY count weight.  What about body fat %?  They could lose 50 lb's of fat and gain 50 lb's of muscle     (exaggeration) and they are going home.   I feel body compostion is much more inportant then JUST weight loss.  My .02.

They did talk about it one season and do a before/after dunk and considered it in the final weigh in.  And I am pretty sure they still definitely dunk the contestants to get BF% when they initially show up.

The problem is that they had to pick SOME way to measure weightloss that made it as fair as possible.  The first season they JUST went by pounds lost and of course the chicks were not going to do as well.  But it's impractical on TV to dunk them for every weigh in.  So they compromised at percentage of weight lost.

I kind of usually think it's funny how the girls always say they want to be the first female biggest loser.  But in reality, the person who will be the biggest loser is practically chosen from the get-go when you base it on percentage of weight lost.  I mean, a 400 lb guy with small bones is going to be able to lose a larger percentage of his weight than a 250 lb girl with large bones.  Okay, so if you can stack the people in the final three you could theoretically win.  But in the end, if you figure out how much weight each of those people could REALLY lose?  There are some people that don't have any chance of winning the game.

Did any of that make sense to anybody but me?

2007-11-14 10:08 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I watched last night for the first time and thought the tri was unfair, the one girl was far enough ahead in the run and bike she probably would have won the whole thing.

I am glad after watching this that I normally swim on Tuesday nights.

2007-11-14 10:10 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I agree with many points here!

I think Kae would have had a better chance to win if they had either done the events back to back or taken the total time.  It's a shame.  She's my favorite player.  I was actually hoping Hollie wouldn't make it to the final round because they did mention she was a swimmer and I wanted Kae to win!

I was glad to see Amy go too.  She was a total whiner.  I realize that it is edited/dramatized to make it look that way...but they had to have SOMETHING to work with to make her look that bad.  I'm glad she did well at home.

I'm always excited when the before pictures start coming out.  They don't do it until you can really see a big difference.  It's kind of a benchmark for the show.  It's getting down to the wire when the before pictures appear!

I would love to be trained by Jillian OR Bob.  But I was also thinking that our very own Trixie would make an awesome Biggest Loser trainer.

2007-11-14 11:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I just finished watching it from our DVR and I was disappointed in the way they did the Tri, BUT, if Kae had gone straight from the bike to the treadmill, does anyone really think she would have done as well? She looked like she was going to fall over after the bike because she went so hard and fast. I agree that she had the biggest lead after the bike and the run and I also knew as soon as Hollie made the final three that she was going to most likely win before I even saw her swim. Then I saw her stroke and knew she would pull away quickly.

The dough nut part of the show just plainly grossed me out. I wanted to puke while watching it. I couldn't believe how many of the folks actually ate them in order to have a chance a $5k! I thought that was kind of sad also.

Bob gets my gaydar going also. I said that to my wife and she was no way he is gay...he is just nice. Yea ok...I think Jillian rocks major. Not just because she is hot, but because she really does care about her team and wants to see them succeed in life, long term. She could train me any day...I wouldn't mind be made to cry like a little baby, it would be pleasure.

2007-11-14 11:21 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

"He's not gay, just nice." 

That is classic! 

2007-11-14 11:23 AM

User image

Master
"Discovery Health Challenge" was a MUCH better show than The Biggest Loser.  I haven't seen it in a few years. Don't know if its on anymore.
2007-11-14 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
It is with a heavy heart {sniff, sniff} that I tell Amy to get her whiney butt out of here {sniff}.

Yay!
2007-11-14 2:13 PM
in reply to: #1052950

cordova61 - 2007-11-14 12:23 PM

"Discovery Health Challenge" was a MUCH better show than The Biggest Loser.  I haven't seen it in a few years. Don't know if its on anymore.

i liked the discovery health body challenge too! whatever happened to it?

as for the biggest loser last night, i was sad that kae didn't win it. yesterday was the first time i really watched a whole epdisode this season, and kae seems to have a great mentality. the fact that she was the only one who resisted the donuts i thought was great. it was too bad that she wasn't rewarded for being the first one off the bike and treadmill.

and is it really a big coincidence that the red team only has one member left? i wish i would have been watching the earlier episodes so i could see what the red team's personal trainer was like.
2007-11-14 3:01 PM

User image

Master
Portland, OR

I did a happy dance when Amy got voted off, too.  And WOW, she did really well at home!  Her hubby is into fitness so it looks like she got the encouragement she needed to keep going.

Amy was annoying and very whiney but I will say that I don't think I could leave my kids for that long.  I think part of her percieved "whiney-ness" (yes, that's a word) was from missing her girls.  And they're little!  It's not like she left teenagers at home.

2007-11-14 3:24 PM
in reply to: #1052950

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
cordova61 - 2007-11-14 11:23 AM

"Discovery Health Challenge" was a MUCH better show than The Biggest Loser. I haven't seen it in a few years. Don't know if its on anymore.

Totally agree, I think the Discovery Health Challenge had a healthier perspective. The triahtlon was interesting to watch! Weird how they did it.....
2007-11-14 4:44 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

The donut part made me want donuts. But I knew Kae would resist. She's strong like that. For those who haven't seen it since the beginning, she was in the military- can't remember which branch. Navy I think.

Kim was the red team's personal trainer. I really didn't care for her. Amy left her team because when they were discussing who they were going to vote off one week, Kim basically told them that Amy was the logical choice. Ouch. Amy didn't cotton to that. And she was kind of whiney and a bit of a crybaby, but she seemed to really work hard with Jillian. I think she felt like she was by herself- not really fitting in with any team.

Neil has to go. He's the one who put on 17 lbs in one week by drinking over 2 gallons of water before weigh in. Cheater cheater pumpkin eater....

I'd love to see Kae win it. She for the most part just sticks to herself, working hard, and tries to stay out of all the drama going on. But I don't think she has enough weight left to lose to be able to win it. It's usually one of the heavier men.

Hollie's stroke was pretty good, but she was killing me with the breast stroke! And I really wanted them to use their cumulative times rather than who won the swim.

Kudos to Bill for hitting the 100 lb mark. IN 10 WEEKS. WOW.

2007-11-14 5:03 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

I like Bill too. I would like to be friends with him. And Julie too.  And Kae.  Kae didn;t play a few weeks ago when they were playing poker and had to eat junk food as bets. She's great.

freaking Neil and Amy. ugh. 

2007-11-14 8:56 PM
in reply to: #1053858

Elite
Laurium, MI

I watched this show one time and it was the last time......

It was the episode during "green week" where they didn't use any power.  Tell me.... how is it better to run inside, pushing the belt on a tredmill then just going outside and running in the fresh air? 

Isn't the point of the show to get these people into healthy lifestyles and enjoy being active?  If all my initial running was on a tredmill, and all my initial cycling was on an exercise bike....I'd hate both sports with a passion.  Heck yea I'd walk away and go back to my old habits. 

2007-11-14 9:59 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well, I have finally watched it, as I had it recorded.

I think it was L-A-M-E that they had them start with the bike, then the run and finally the swim. Really lame that just because you won the bike and run, you couldn't win if you didn't win the swim portion.

Yes, Holly could swim... she wasn't fighting the water. But her stroke was not perfect. It needed a couple of minor tweeks. And her breaststroke wasn't the worst I have seen, but it wasn't that good... considering she was a swim coach. OK, enough of that. It's just impressive she swam that far... because 40 laps is far!

So yea... technically they did a tri... but too bad it wasn't outside and done in the normal order and the way the rest of us race.

2007-11-15 11:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hoboken, NJ

Jillian is the trainer for me as well - I like that aggressive style.  I was kind of disappointed that she doesn't seem to have any other gear besides what you see on the show, though.  I saw her on a talk show "competing" with a couple of other weight loss gurus (one of them was that guy from Celebrity Fit Club - not the drill sgt./ trainer - the younger [nicer] doctor) on whose approach was the most effective.  They got some overweight folks for each guru, sent them away for a few weeks and then had the recap.  When they showed the footage it was so clear that Jillian was alienating the two women she was trying to help and that they were getting angry and resentful.  At the end the folks coached by the Celebrity Fit Club guy lost the most weight and Jillian was really pissy about it - kind of defensive.  She then blamed the *women* for not working hard enough!  On TV!  It was clear that she viewed it as her loss personally and was trying to shift blame to the women - awkward and embarrassing and very poor form.  The women already felt bad being the ones who lost the least weight (their before and after shots, usually dramatic, looked pretty much the same) and then Jillian sort of crapped on them unnecessarily to save her own ego.  Like I said,  her training approach suits my style, but I was disappointed that she didn't seem to realize that different people require different techniques and that she would be so small and graceless about "losing".

2007-11-15 12:29 PM
in reply to: #1054220

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
vortmax - 2007-11-14 7:56 PM

It was the episode during "green week" where they didn't use any power.  Tell me.... how is it better to run inside, pushing the belt on a tredmill then just going outside and running in the fresh air? 

Isn't the point of the show to get these people into healthy lifestyles and enjoy being active?  If all my initial running was on a tredmill, and all my initial cycling was on an exercise bike....I'd hate both sports with a passion.  Heck yea I'd walk away and go back to my old habits. 

Several points:

1.  They do go outside and run and hike and all that jazz.  If you watched the show every week you would know that.

2.  If you REALLY want to lose weight you do need to do some interval-type stuff on things like treadmills.  Could you do it on a track?  Yeah...but not if you've never been a runner and not if you want to push yourself REALLY hard.  So they are using all those machines for several reasons: a. Accelerate weight loss, b. So the trainers can train multiple people at once c. Cameramen can video them more easily.

3.  As for the treadmill bit during green week, she was just showing him the workout he could do inside if he had to despite not having electricity.  It was more of a weight training/resistance thing than running.

2007-11-15 4:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Crossville, TN
It's probably easier for the Doctors to keep an eye on each one of them inside a controlled enviroment (aka a treadmill) than out running on a track.
2007-11-15 7:35 PM
in reply to: #1054220

User image

Expert
Virginia
vortmax - 2007-11-14 9:56 PM

It was the episode during "green week" where they didn't use any power. Tell me.... how is it better to run inside, pushing the belt on a tredmill then just going outside and running in the fresh air?

Isn't the point of the show to get these people into healthy lifestyles and enjoy being active? If all my initial running was on a tredmill, and all my initial cycling was on an exercise bike....I'd hate both sports with a passion. Heck yea I'd walk away and go back to my old habits.

It's hard to do the every 3 second promo of 24 hr fitness if they are outside....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon on The Biggest Loser Tuesday? Rss Feed  

of 3