General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Re-iterating the importance of *proper* stretching Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-09 7:01 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: Re-iterating the importance of *proper* stretching
There are new members here everyday, and I've got some personal experience with this, so figured I'd ressurect the topic.

I've been having some pain in my lower calf/upper ankle on and off for the last couple months. Not getting better despite taking it easier(ish) I finally broke down and went to orthopod today.

Fortunately, it's not achilles tendonitis ( which is what I had feared ), but just an overly tight soleus muscle. This is the less visible of the two muscles in your calf. All of my stretching has been 'straight knee' stretches, which while stretching the calf focus on the gastronemicus muscle ( the big one that you can see easily ). In order to properly stretch the soleus, you have to do 'bent knee' calf stretches.

The soleus being very tight has put a strain on the muscle/ achilles tendon connection, which is what is causing my pain.

I get about week of no running or cycling or legs, daily anti-inflam, and stretching 3-4 times a day. ( Thankfully a fairly short amount of time, as I was fearful of hearing I needed to take longer time off than that ).

So, once again, make sure you stretch, and make sure your stretching is effective.

In that vein, what stretches do different people here do in order to keep everything loose and flexible and pain-free?

-Chris

2004-11-09 7:23 PM
in reply to: #80985

Veteran
SF soon!
Subject: RE: Re-iterating the importance of *proper* stretching
Did you try getting a massage? I had the same symptoms in May and unfortunately it included suffering through a 5K. Got a massage shortly after and it helped tremendously.
2004-11-09 8:53 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
I had the same thing that began after a 4 hour brick I did earlier this year. it didn't go away for about 4-6 weeks. it's the muscle you use the most when running and the bent knee stretch is exactly what my (Active Release Technique) ART chiropractor told me to do.

it finally worked itself out 100% in about week 8...but it sucked big time.

i never used to strech the most important part of the calf....the lower part that got "injured".

I strech after each workout at the bare minimum

straight straight leg calf stretch x 3 for 30 sec
straight bent leg calf stretch x 3 for 30 sec
hamstring stretch (choice) x 3 for 30 sec
quad stretch (choice) x 3 for 30 sec
varied hamstring stretch (choice) x 3 for 30 sec
IT band stretch x 3 for 30 sec

that's BARE minimum.

then i drink my recovery drink.

then if i feel spunky i'll stretch the ol' IT band and the lower calf musles (again x 3 for 30 sec) and i'll do hamstrings again.

before i go to bed i do rotator cuff exercises (total of about 4 minutes) to stave off any swimming injuries and i also do 2 x 30 sec of IT band stretches

all in all that's a total of like...10-15 minutes a day (can't do math...head hurts...)?

by the way, the days i don't work out (which are quite numerous lately) i don't stretch at all except my lower calf muscles, which I do in the elevator up to the office or in line at corner bakery as I get the "damn psycho athlete...why can't he just be like everyone else..." stares from folks who see me because it looks like I'm genuflecting all the time.
2004-11-09 9:30 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

And don't forget to stretch after somehow warming up - don't stretch cold!

I too have problems with tight gastrocs and soleus.  My PT/ART guy has me lay on my stomach and he sticks his thumb right in the muscle (deep) and then makes me pump my ankle up and down.  Hurts like crazy, but it helps.  So I do the same stretches you do. 

I really think that yoga helps for an overall stretch. 

2004-11-10 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Findlay OH
Another stretching tip is to stretch after exercise. A little bit of stretch ing before working out (after a warm up ) is OK but to get any lasting increases in flexibility you should stretch after your cool down.

The muscle is noice and warm then and it is more pliable. Stretching a cold muscle can increase the chance of injury adn doesn't do much good. The muscles are very pliable and end up fighting against you as you try to stretch.

2004-11-10 9:56 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Adirondacks
yoga is great and self myofascial release (SMR) using a foam roll in addition to static and dynamic stretching. SMR can help greatly before a workout it really gets in their deep. Ill try to find a link or download some more info on it later.

2004-11-10 10:32 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
I do a 10 minute warmup walk/jog, then about 10 min of stretching before my workouts. Cooldown of 5 min walk, and same stretching again. The one thing I didn't do was the bent knee stretch. Everything else is good, except for my soleus. The doc said it's actually fairly common, as a lot of people don't remember to stretch it, and it can only be isolated with the knee bent to stretch it properly.

So, I guess I enjoy my week of rest. ( Hmmm, I can still do upper body weights, and swimming with a pull-buoy, right? ).

I'm mainly just glad to know it's something fairly minor as far as injuries/potential injuries go, and wanted to pass on the tip of not forgetting to strech *both* calf muscles.

-Chris

2004-11-11 12:40 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Adirondacks
Try this link

http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/assets/Exercisesheets/PDF/Foam...

Edited by mtntrainer 2004-11-11 12:41 AM
2004-11-11 7:30 AM
in reply to: #81631

User image

Elite
Chicago
mtntrainer - 2004-11-10 11:40 PM

Try this link

http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/assets/Exercisesheets/PDF/Foam...

perfect! my gym has some in the "stretching" area and I swear by them.
2004-11-11 8:46 AM

Syracuse
I do about 5min of stretching before and after a workout. Besides the standard stretches I try to incorporate atleast one good overall yoga stretch plus yoga class once a week.
2004-11-11 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Gardner KS (near Kansas City)
There is some new research that suggest "active stretching" will be more effective than static stretching- ie moving into the stretch slowing and only holding it a second or so, then slowly moving back- some call it dynamic stretching but the basic premise is to take some of the long static pressure off the tendons- same form for the stretch but just moving into & out of it slowlywith a sort time at the full end of the stretch- the research article can be found in the National Strength and Conditioning' Journals July/August issues-
As long as the streching gets done without pain there will be benifits. If I can just get someone to do it for me sometimes

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Re-iterating the importance of *proper* stretching Rss Feed