Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Can't believe Yoga did this to me!!!??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-09 9:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Subject: Can't believe Yoga did this to me!!!???

I've been having "stomach" problems for quite a few weeks now.  My activity level has dropped to zilch, my eating has come down to soup, yogurt, soy milk.... I finally got in to see me Dr.... and.... a pain from my sternum to my stomach is the result of  ----- stretching------ I started yoga (1st time ever in my life) about 2 months ago AND guess what?  That's when the pain started only I didn't make the connection.  Why would I?  I'm no MD, I hated science in school.  So I'm not even about to self-diagnose.  First question he asks ... besides your regular exercise, what else have you been doing??  Who'da thought?? The only new thing was yoga.  That's it, he says.  Too much stretching!!!  I still didn't understand most of the medical terms he used, but in 'layman's' terms.... don't do yoga!!
So now..... I still have to 'take it easy' for a few more days (oh darn!) It'll be a while before it heals completely and I can get back out on the road

Thanks for listening.... I really needed to vent

2004-11-09 10:40 PM
in reply to: #81028

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
Subject: RE: Can't believe Yoga did this to me!!!???
Yikes! I wonder what went wrong. I've been doing yoga for over 20 years, and pretty much the ONLY thing I know is that people can get injured like none other by doing yoga. Oh.... that, and there are some hugely unqualified teachers out there, so having a teacher doesn't neccessarily help. Although it's still a good idea.

But too much stretching somehow damaged your gastrointestinal system? That seems a little odd. But... whatever... I'm not qualified to say one way or the other. I hope his treatment plan works ASAP and that you feel better soon.

Andrea

Edited by Andrea 2004-11-09 10:41 PM
2004-11-10 5:34 AM

User image

Champion
Michigan

That' s crazy.  Sorry to hear it.  What, did they wrap you into a pretzel your first day?  I'm not doubting the Doc, but I might get a second opinion, if it's an organ issue vs. a muscle issue, that a pretty big distinction to be made and I would just want to double check.  A pulled hamstring is one thing, a screwed up internal system is quite another.  Good luck and a speedy recovery. 

Trix

Edited by trixie 2004-11-10 5:34 AM
2004-11-10 2:29 PM

User image

Wow, I never knew you could get injured doing yoga?? There is a guy on BT that posted that yoga cured alot of his back and knee problems and I was pretty excited because I do need help with a bad knee. Is there a certain kind of yoga that is safer than another?
2004-11-10 3:54 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
It's not the type of yoga that makes it safe or unsafe. It's more the skills of the practitioner and the teacher. If you find a class where alignment is the focus, you really should be all right. The teacher won't let you slip out of alignment to compensate for lack of flexibility (the most common problem) or lack of strength (MY problem). He or she should have skills in teaching you to modify a pose -making it either harder or easier, depending on your needs.

And the practitioner usually has to make an effort to leave his or her ego at the door. If it becomes all about making the same shape in space as the person on the mat next to you, then injury is almost inevitable. I mean.... I've HEARD that We can be competitive in triathlons, but in yoga you're not engaged in a battle with your body. It's more of a conversation.

And even so.... it has to be said. You can be doing absolutely everything right and still be injured. Just as we can be doing all the right things and get hit by a car while out on our bikes, we can be injured in yoga. There might be a skeletal or muscular weakness that we had no idea was there. Our focus could fail us for a split second, and then... whoops! Or... well, you get it. The possibilities are endless. But for me, so are the rewards.

Andrea
2004-11-11 6:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I also found out the hard way about the hazards of yoga. I was recovering from a back injury that had lead to many muscle knots and tightness... so i assumed that yoga would be the answer.

it was for a bit, until the regular teacher got sick one too many classes in a row, and we ended up with different instructers. In the end, i went in barely walking to my physical therapist... couldn't understand the prob. I had ended up rotating my vertebra out of place [the replacement instructers didn't do any warnings about weak backs and the stuff we were doing- and i don't usually feel pain no matter the injury]... thus was banned from yoga until my back is stronger.

i loved yoga... but finding the right instructer is the key!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Can't believe Yoga did this to me!!!??? Rss Feed