General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for those who have had medial meniscus surgery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-27 9:05 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: Question for those who have had medial meniscus surgery

My left medial meniscus has a tear, and it was DEFINITELY hindering my running in the 5K thursday - finished in 26:29 but would have run faster if not for knee pain.

With my first race in March (but season really starting in June) I am considering getting arthoscopy (could probably do it next week)

the orthopedist (a friend) said I could do range of motion and leg lifts immediately, be biking and swimming 7-10 days out and running 4-6 weeks out.....

how quickly did you all get back at it??? right now swimming and biking are fine but walking and running hurt.....as does just sitting here...

thanks

cat 

2007-11-28 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1071316

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
Subject: RE: Question for those who have had medial meniscus surgery
I have had 3 partial meniscectomies on my medial meniscus in my rt knee. Each time they took a little bit more leaving me with "not freaking much" as my Doc so gently put it. Each one of my surgeries was a tiny bit different, but none of them were all that painful. Each Dr. treats the rehab a bit differently. My first surgery was when I was in professional sports, and they had me on crutches until I could walk without a limp (5 days or so), but I was on the exercise bike the day after doing easy spinning. My second two surgeries were years later, and they had me walk as soon as pain permitted (limping or not). I was instructed to do leg lifts starting the night of the surgery, and was pretty active within 4-6 weeks (I was not a runner then).

Here is the rub...if it hurts because of a tear, it will stop the pain when they cut it out. However, if they can repair it (a much tougher surgery and rehab), you are much better off in the long run. I'm now looking at serious problems from having nothing left. Be careful, find a good doc, and listen to them. Follow the rehab religiously. Good luck.
2007-11-28 8:24 PM
in reply to: #1071924

User image

Champion
New York, NY

thanks - really appreciate the input.

they won't repair because of my age :-( I am too old at 45 - they claim in will not heal...

but good news today, not a DEFINITIVE tear, just mild wear and tear, so I am going to try laying off running for a week or so and focus on bike and swim.... hoping it will settle down....

cat 

2007-12-04 12:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
Good luck, I'm going for a meniscus transplant in two weeks...its new, kind of painful, and an intense rehab. The Dr. is really good, and thinks I will have a full recovery by summer if I put my time into the rehab.

Take it easy on the knee, if it hurts -- rest it. Don't forget to ice it...that always helped me. Running through it is not a great idea...take it from me...I played through the pain and it just made things worse.

A meniscectomy is no big deal...you will be back at full speed in 6 weeks. If you are still struggling after resting it, just do it and get ready for spring. Good luck.
2007-12-04 8:04 PM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
I wish someone would speak further about autologous cartilage Trans/implantation. Are you talking about taking chondrocytes and implanting them under a flap to regenerate? Or do refer to the disc procedure where a healthy cylinder of joint cartilage is cored out and implanted in the distal femoral defect? I had the first of multiple menisectomies in 1973, eventually resulting in subtotal medial meniscal defects bilaterally. As a result, I and now have large cartilage defects on both medial condyles, severely limiting running (and making walking a challenge sometimes as well).

I've been told these procedures are reserved for acute traumatic disruption of the articular cartilage and are of little use/not indicated for chronic osteoarthritic changes. Any thoughts?
2007-12-13 7:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montana

I had about 30% of my medial meniscus removed last February. I was running with no pain in 7 weeks. Ran a 1/2 mary 7 months later (my first, so if you do them lots it could be much sooner). It was really a piece of cake.

Having surgery on my other knee three days after christmas...this time menicus and probably micro fracture to heal the damaged femoryl condyle and tibia. It will be much longer b/c I will be non weight bearing for six weeks.

anywhoo...thats all I got. Good luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for those who have had medial meniscus surgery Rss Feed