General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie needs help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-04 3:15 PM

Regular
College Station
Subject: newbie needs help
i'm fairly knowledge when it comes to strength training and weight lifting, but i'm not knowledge in training for specific events. i want to train for something for a sprint triathlon and then work my way up to the longer triathlons

i'm not sure how to go about training for it? i lift weights 5 days a week and do cardio between 4-6 days a week. i dont want to lose my current build or any significant strength. i really have no idea about how to train for an event except strength training. i trained in high school for sports but nothing recently. is it ok to continue my weight lifting program and add on whatever training i'm doing to add? should i be worried about fatigue over training? if i can't do weights, whats the best way to maintain my strength.

like i said, i have pretty much no knowledge in this area. it was just something that i just thought about. i'd appreciate any insight, advice, particular programs, experiences or anything else that anyone has to offer. i have time to work out once a week and during break i can work out twice a week. right now i typically do weights 5 days a week followed by cardio.

i'm hoping to compete in late march early april. like i said, im in great shape strength and cardio shape, but not in good swimming or prolly biking shape either.

2007-12-04 3:26 PM
in reply to: #1082906

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: newbie needs help

You can continue to weight lift if you enjoy it and you still have time to swim, bike and run in sufficient quantities.

Best bet is to find a training plan that meets your goals and follow it. Here's a link to the free plans available on this site:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp?h=1&racetype=0&level=-1

Edited by the bear 2007-12-04 3:29 PM
2007-12-04 3:29 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

You can lift and do tris.  But you'll probably have to choose which is more important to you and sacrifice quite a bit on the other.  And when you talk about maintaining your "strength", it's important to consider what you define as strength.

My suggestion is to look into a training program (some free ones on this site to get you started).  Figure out how you can integrate your weight lifting within that plan (a few plans include some weights as part of the plan) and then try to manage from there.  Remember you'll have to balance the fatigue from lifting with the fatigue from swimming, biking and running.

Edited by JohnnyKay 2007-12-04 3:29 PM
2007-12-04 3:29 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

If you click on the program button at the top of the screen you will see some of the training plans available here on the site.  That would be a great place to start.  A lot of them have a strength componant in them, but I believe most folks here would agree that the best thing you can do is to swim/bike/run to prepare for a tri.  If you want to do more strength training over and above whats in the plan, thats up to you.  I'm going to stay out of the debate on whether it adds value to doing tri's or not.

But the plans will give you a roadmap to reach your goals.

Good luck!

2007-12-04 3:44 PM

Regular
College Station
yeah i realize that im going to have to cut back on some of the days. i'm thinking about just lifting 2 days a wk, something like monday and thurs. and do tri training after. i'm really interested and determined to do atleast a sprint triathlon (im sure once i do one, i'll wanna go farther..im a bit competitive ) and then go from there. i figured i'd have to sacrafice some of my weight lifting. but im not sure to what extreme. the last thing i want do is get injuried, then i wont be able to do both.

how does eating and pre/post workout differ from strength training...like i said i'm a total newb, who'll hopefully become a pro soon
2007-12-04 3:57 PM
in reply to: #1082965

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
There are lots of correlations between the two from a training perspective--periodization being an obvious one.On eating, you're more likely going to be looking to rebuild your carb stores vs. a focus on protein (though some of the latter is still useful after a hard training session).There are lots of artcles on BT that can get you headed in the right direction. And these forums are a good place to discuss specific issues as you move along.

2007-12-04 6:39 PM

Regular
College Station
thanks for all the info/advice already guys

another question i have regarding working out. i plan on maybe cutting weights to 2 days a week...that'll make it easier so that i can either do full body both days or something like a push/pull day on seperate days. my question is: should i skip legs and not do squats, calves, etc.? with all the running and biking im going to be doing in my training, will that be sufficient so that i can skip leg workouts? should i just do light weight leg workouts? any advice on this would be great. my greatest fear is over working my legs.
2007-12-04 7:04 PM
in reply to: #1083367

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

ballerandrew - 2007-12-04 6:39 PM

thanks for all the info/advice already guys

another question i have regarding working out. i plan on maybe cutting weights to 2 days a week...that'll make it easier so that i can either do full body both days or something like a push/pull day on seperate days. my question is: should i skip legs and not do squats, calves, etc.? with all the running and biking im going to be doing in my training, will that be sufficient so that i can skip leg workouts? should i just do light weight leg workouts? any advice on this would be great. my greatest fear is over working my legs.

I think that's something you'll have to answer for yourself.  The leg workouts won't help your biking or running much.  Only you can decide if they'll hurt it.  If you enjoy lifting, give it a shot and see how you feel.  Or drop the legs for a bit while you pick up the running & biking and then try to add the leg sessions back later if you'd like.

2007-12-05 8:50 AM

User image

Modesto, California

Patience and knowledge are key when starting to train for triathlons. It appears that time is on your side at this point, be patient and find a training plan that meets your schedule and see how well you can keep up with weights and endurance training. I agree with the others in that your attention will be drawn to one and not both types of training. Once you get going your knowledge will become more important as you will try to improve form while swimming, biking, and running. Dont be discouraged when you start and realize this is difficult, be patient and follow the training and allow yourself time for improvements, they will come with consistant training. Its all about improving here and acquiring the knowledge to get faster, and if your training goes well you will be fortunate and maybe pass a few people your first race. Diet is tricky when you first start, you will be doing a shift from a high protein diet to a fairly high Carib diet, this should be a gradual shift based on your training intensity and durations, it is something you will have to experiment with yourself so that you don't bulk up. Getting involved in groups will give you an indication from others what training intensity is required for races,(Masters swim, tri clubs, running clubs)check them out! This sport is expensive the more serious it becomes to you, seek advice on equipment, and always use the search forum tab at the top of the site, it will save you the trouble of asking the same questions others have asked. Good luck to you!

2007-12-06 7:38 PM

Regular
College Station
thanks for the help
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie needs help Rss Feed