General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New in Lawrence Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-08 9:20 PM

User image

New user

Lawrence, Kansas
Subject: New in Lawrence
I just found this web site and it is great! I started cycling last summer and went over 1,000 miles this year. I also used to run 10K's each week when I was younger and love to swim sooo I figured next season I am getting into the Tri's. Been working out with a personal trainer since September and rode strong in the Octagenta 80 miler here in lawrence. Are there any local Tri clubs around here. Can't wait to do my first Sprint Tri.....

2007-12-08 11:14 PM
in reply to: #1090467

Regular
Subject: RE: New in Lawrence
I live in Topeka. There are not any Tri clubs around here. I don't think Lawrence has any either. The closest is KC MUltisport, I think. I am not a member. I started doing Tri's last year. My first was the Topeka Tinman Sprint. It is a 28 year race. It takes place at Lake Shawnee. Lake Shawnee is right in the city. I run on the 7 mile trail around the lake alot, I also do my open water swim there too. The lake is kept up great. The landscaping is also very well kept. The race is great. I recommend it for your first. It was my first and loved it. The swim is only 300 years, 11 mile bike, and a 5k paved trail run. It is June 14th. June 15th is Ironman Kansas 70.3. I think this will decrease the athlete participation for the Tinman full course, but up the volunteers. As far as other races around here there is Midwest Mayham, Midwest Meltdown, Shawnee Mission Tri, Jackson Co. Tri, and some Exterra events. Ironman KS 70.3 will be a huge event. Make sure you get out to see it. Jackson Co. Tri was a great race also. Pro Triathlete Chris Leigh participated in it, that was pretty cool to meet him.

I wish there was a close tri club. I would like to get some athletes in the Topeka/Lawrence area together to train. If anybody else is interested give a shout.
2013-12-29 8:47 PM
in reply to: AdamA

I'm new to triathlons, and also in Lawrence. Not sure I'm ready to train with folks as fit as you sound, but this discussion makes me wonder if it is time to form a triathlon club in Lawrence or Topeka... What do you think?

Margretta

2013-12-30 9:46 AM
in reply to: mdevries

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
There is the Kansas Triathlon Club, in Lawrence. I'm not a member so I don't know how active they as a club. It doesn't appear their website has been updated in the last year or two, but they are active on Twitter: https://twitter.com/KansasTriathlon
2013-12-30 10:34 AM
in reply to: Barkeep

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Yeah, they are mainly college kids, but they do get in a few group workouts, just not consistently. I've gone to a few with them (years ago when living in Lawrence) and got destroyed on runs by all the cross country kids. But if you are interested in group training, I'd look into it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New in Lawrence Rss Feed