2007-12-16 6:18 PM

User image

Subject: Training For Multi Races
I am registered for 4 races next year:

July- Olympic
August-Half
September-Olympic
October-Half

What is the best way to set up a plan for multi-races? Should I train for the August Half, use the July Olympic as a strong endurance day and then roll back to a build phase for the October Half?

Sparrowhawk.

2007-12-16 6:51 PM
in reply to: #1104991

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Training For Multi Races
Sounds like what I would do unless the Sept Oly was the "AA" race for the year
2007-12-17 6:37 AM
in reply to: #1105052

User image

Thanks for the input. October Half is the "AA" race. Sept Oly just looks like so much fun-Nations Triathlon in DC ( Reg is 12/28).
2007-12-17 8:03 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
My races for the year aren't definite. I have my HIM A race July 12 (Muncie Endurathon), I'm doing an Oly in May and possibly another race in early June, just as work out s for the HIM. I'll probably be using the BT 20 week program for Muncie. I just started into the book "The Perfect Distance" which covers the HIM distance, so I'll see what comes of that so I may adjust my training based on that.

I plan on taking it easy the last two weeks of July to recover with some easy beach runs and ocean swimming while on vacation.

My next HIM, which I'm still not sure about is in Mid Sept, so I was planning on working on the last 6 weeks of the HIM plan (possibly modified) again to prepare for the second HIM. I also have an Oly scheduled in August which will just fit in as a good workout and it's not to far from home.

This is my first year at the HIM distance, so this could be a terrible plan, but it's what I've come up with so far.

Good luck
2007-12-17 8:24 AM

User image

Regular
I may be off on this but I am not sure your plan of training for you July HIM, taking a short break and building up to a Sept. HIM will work out so good if the Sept HIM is the more important race. This will set you up to peak in July. Being able to bounce back after a short rest and peak again in Sept will be very difficult. There simply isn't enough time. It's only two months so you go easy for 1-2 weeks after your race (your break) and taper the final 2-3 weeks before your Sept race. You're left with roughly 3-4 weeks to build back up. Also take into account that you will be tapering before your July race so that leaves with 5-8 weeks of low training in the three months leading up to your A race. I would train to peak at the Sept. HIM. I am not saying skip the July HIM. You can do them both but if the Sept one is the more important then train for the sept one. YMMV, literally.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training For Multi Races Rss Feed