England
Mornington Chasers
Overcast
Total Time = 48m 35s
Overall Rank = 153/277
Age Group = Senior Lady
Age Group Rank = 15/52
Pre-race routine:

Had lie-in and so didn't arrive ridiculously early as had done previously. Decided to wear vest rather than long sleeved shirt (which turned out to be a good decision). Drank carbohydrate drink on way to event, and finished it before changing clothes.
Event warmup:

Ran very gently for about 5 minutes.
Run
  • 48m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Started a bit further forward than last time and calculated time from official start time rather than worrying about time it had taken me to cross the line. Pushed a bit harder than previous race and aimed for slightly faster intervals between mile markers but forgot to count up (as in 1 mile done) and instead tried to count down (5 miles to go) so timed first interval too early. Only realised error after 4 mile marker but, fortunately, was slightly ahead of schedule by then. Pushing harder throughout race meant my sprint for the line was even weaker than usual, but there were no other women around at that point so it didn't make a difference to age group position.
What would you do differently?:

Check heart monitor as I cross the line to get a better idea of my maximum.
Otherwise very pleased with run: ran evenly but, although maintaining even pace and good breathing rythym, also managed to focus well and use strategy of picking off one person in front at a time. And new PB!
Post race
Warm down:

Ran gently for about 5 minutes, and then had cup of water followed by chocolate recovery shake. Put on warm clothes. Stretched thoroughly when I got home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ability and experience.

Last updated: 2004-10-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:48:35 | 06.21 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/52
Overall: 153/277
Performance: Good
Wore heart rate monitor to have another attempt at ascertaining maximum heartrate. Heart rate very steady (between 171 and 174) all the way to the 6 mile marker. Foolishly forgot to check thereafter...
Course: Three lap course with little extra at start and finish; virtually flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-11-18 4:49 AM

User image

Veteran
London, UK
Subject: Regent's Park Series 10k - 2

2004-11-18 11:35 AM
in reply to: #83984

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Regent's Park Series 10k - 2
Jane,

Fabulous run! Your mile average speed is impressive!!! Your new nickname should be Miss Speedy. Great job!

-Bethany
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Regent's Park Series 10k - 2 Rss Feed