General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Scheduling First year... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-26 10:22 PM

New user

Subject: Scheduling First year...
How many races do you schedule a season?

I'm probably looking to schedule a few tris and a few runs this year.

How much time should there be between races?

I'm looking to do a Sprint tri in May, Olympic Tri in June right now ... should there be more time between the two races?

James

2007-12-26 11:22 PM
in reply to: #1117908

Champion
No excuses!
Subject: RE: Scheduling First year...
Need more info. What kind of base do you have? How active are you? What are your strengths and weaknesses?
2007-12-26 11:45 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Hi James,

There really are a litany of factors to consider.  Your goals will guide your racing season.  Some people put up with races so they can train year around, others put up with training to enter and complete races.  Obviously, that is both ends of the spectrum, but I think you will find most people tend to balance it out and their race schedules largely depend on money and scheduling.  Longer, more grueling races will take longer to recover from and also may take up more time to train for, thus less time to spend on "life" (family, job, etc).  You will find people who race more than once a weekend (seriously) and some who plan a smattering of races to carry them through the season...maybe 4 or 5 races.  Doing an OLY a month after a sprint shouldn't be a problem for you, if you have any kind of base training solidified.  Schedule your races when it fits into your "life" and don't worry about over scheduling from a physiological standpoint, if you are just considering sprints and some runs.  When you get into OLY's and HIMS and IM's is when you need to consider recovery a little closer.  All that being said, here is my 2008 schedule as it stands now:

Sprint - March

HIM - April

Sprint - June

Sprint - August

Sprint - August

OLY - October

IM - November

MARY - December (IMAZ recovery dependent)

I will throw in several 5, 10 and 15k's in there as well. 

Chris

2007-12-27 9:31 AM

New user

It's a new years resolution of mine to get back into the shape I was once in (and probably better). So my base currently is pretty non-existent. Although, I can run 3 miles or swim 750 meters no problem at slow paces even if I haven't done it for a while.

I'm starting the prep this week, and my goal for this year is to complete an Olympic Triathlon and improve on my placing in the Sprint Tri (I did it for the first time last year).

I'll probably do a few runs, but my first actual tri will be in either May or June, so I'm trying to give myself enough time to build up my fitness.

Strengths - Endurance, Swimming (ex-Year Round Swimmer)
Weaknesses - Speed, Cycling

I've run 2 Half Marathons to this date. 1 in '06 and 1 in '07. I'm also planning to do the same one in '08.

Cycling is my big, big weakness. In the Sprint Tri last year I was dead last in my age group, just because it was the first time I had ridden a bike in years.

I revised my list since last night, as I was trying to put more of a plan around it.
Sprint Tri - May (maybe...)
Olympic/Sprint Tri - June (definitely Olympic or Sprint, but not both)
Olympic Tri - August (maybe...)
1/2 Marathon - September (definitely)
Marathon - November (maybe...)

I'm 24 as another point of information.

James
2007-12-27 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Hey again,

It looks like you spaced everything out monthly, which will give you ample recovery time.  Being DFL in the bike shouldn't be a concern, unless it was really an effort to just finish.  If you don't have a road or tri bike, I would consider that as a priority, since you have the swim and run endurance either there now, or you know you can achieve it.  Spend Time In The Saddle (you will see that referred to as 'T I T S' here, and your bike time and endurance will flourish.  Consider spin classes to increase stamina and leg strength, if your gym offers them.  It sounds like you have a great plan, and your body will tell you when and if you can or should increase distances.  There are people out there who soley race long venues, and then there are people who consistently race sprints.  It's all about personal preference. Great job getting into this way of life.  Make sure to post your race reports this coming year!

Chris

Edited by karhooligan 2007-12-27 9:47 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Scheduling First year... Rss Feed