General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim portion & wetsuits Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-06 3:08 PM

Subject: swim portion & wetsuits
I'm preparing for my first triathlon. I'm just starting to get back into swim shape and was always a strong swimmer. But I have never experienced a swim where 100 people go off at once. Any tips? And what do you look for in a wetsuit?
Thanks for any help.

2004-02-06 3:19 PM
in reply to: #6227

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: swim portion & wetsuits
hi Patrick,
there are a few things to think about for the swim start. First, you say you are a strong swimmer and this is definately to your advantage in what I have called "swimming in a blender." If you have the chance to swim with a group before the race, do so. If not, that's ok too. Watch how the other groups start the swim on race day. If you're confident enough in your abilities, I say make sure you get to the front of the pack for the start. Then you can put some distance between yourself and other swimmers.

I am not an especially strong swimmer and tend to hang near the back, and towards the outside of the group. I also get run over by the leaders of the next group to start! LOL Now there's an incentive to swim fast! It sounds like you'll do great if you get to the front, and if you don't, don't worry about swimming over, around, even thru someone else! Shoot, everyone else does it!

2004-02-06 4:43 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
I concur. The biggest shock is just swimming with so many people near you. You will get bumped a lot. I would try to simulate that experience (on a smaller scale) at least once before hand. Once, I and my training partners just swam in one lane of a pool together (all 6 of us). Of course, there is a lot more space, but periodically you have to deal with being in close proximity.

ALSO, I've had more than my share of nicks from long fingernails or toenails (of course I swim with the laay-dies!) But I would say, BE KIND TO YOUR FELLOW SWIMMERS and keep them nice and trim, and hopefully they will do the same for you.

I, too, try to let a group of the strong swimmers go in front of me. Know your pace. I don't get swum over much that way (until the next wave catches up to me that is!!) But in general, it's not that bad.

The biggest challenge is siting. You'll see all kinds of recommendations for this in various training books. What I do, is do my normal side breathing for about 10 breaths then on the next one, I lift my head straight up to breath and site my goal. It's a little akward, but you get used to it.

Is that all I have to say? I think so. I don't swim with a wetsuit. I would, as I'd like the bouyancy (sp?) but I'm CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!!

Hope that's helpful!
Dana L.

Edited by dhlundblad 2004-02-06 4:44 PM
2004-02-06 5:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Depending on what your goals are exactly....

I agree with everyone else- practice swimming with people- share your lane with everybody. take a class [even though you are a strong swimmer] or join a masters swim team-- they usually have practice sessions where they send you off in masses.

For the actual race day- if your goal is time don't worry about drafting.

lots of luck!
2004-02-06 5:37 PM
in reply to: #6242

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

ALSO, I've had more than my share of nicks from long fingernails or toenails (of course I swim with the laay-dies!) But I would say, BE KIND TO YOUR FELLOW SWIMMERS and keep them nice and trim, and hopefully they will do the same for you.

good point Dana. If you're swimming in a wetsuit you want to make sure all of your nails are trimmed pretty short too. These wetsuits are easily cut, and while they are easy to repair, it's even easier not to cut them.

2004-02-06 5:44 PM

New user

You may or may not have a choice as to whether you wear a wetsuit at a race. Some races will only allow it unless the water temperature is below a certain point. The advantage of bouyancy may be outweighed by how long it takes in the transition area to take it off. If you are going to wear a wetsuit, practice removing it after a hard swim (definitely try it in the pool before ever trying it in a race). The suit of choice is the shorty whitk has cut off legs (knee length) and no sleeves. You are a little less bouyant, but much les restricted.

Edited by jtoplus3 2004-02-06 5:45 PM

2004-02-06 8:30 PM

I'd like to hear from more people about the shortie, no or short sleeve wetsuits. I just visited a tri shop today (a treat for the day off I deservedly took) and the person there said I definitely want a long sleeve suit. She also told me of a two piece suit that I may try on when I have more time to spend there. The two piece (I don't remember the brand) is a bib under part, and a pull over top. Any one have any other things to say about the types of suits?
2004-02-06 9:45 PM

Woodbury, NJ
hey gang! I too have a question about wetsuits. I am doing a few tri's this season and need to know at what water temp would I defintely need one? 65-70? Never really swam in any open water before. Also I read that you could wear a tri top underneath the wetsuit in order to cut down transition time. Is this true?
2004-02-06 9:54 PM
in reply to: #6305

, Alabama
Tri-tops are generally designed to work in water.  That's what we down south (south Florida) wear for our tri's because the ocean never gets cold enough to allow wetsuits.  As far as sleeves vs. sleeveless, it's a personal decision.  I once swam in a tri where it was 65 in the water and definitely wished I had sleeves!  But I also better tolerate heat than cold.  65 may be more normal for you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim portion & wetsuits Rss Feed